Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a lot of you know there is a counter weight on the trans linkage (at least on the 6 speed SVT). A lot of people have removed this for better shifting feel.
I removed mine about a week ago but was disappointed in how it made the tranny feel. It made the shifter much to notchy.
So I'm going to be doing a test hopefully tonight after work. I figure if the counter weight makes the shifter feel to mushy and no counter weight is to notchy in the middle should be juuuust right.

So I took the counter weight and drilled the center of it out where it attaches to the arm to remove it (off the car obviously).
Weighed the slug= 210 grams
Took a 3/8 bolt about 1.5" long and started adding washers till I got to 105 grams.

I'll put it on tonight and see if it is a happy medium.

BTW removing the counter weight can be done fairly easy. The only thing you need to move out of the way is the intake tube.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

UPDATE:

I put the modded shifter arm on last night. Its great! Like I said in the OP without the weight it was very notchy (but felt lighter in-between gears). With the original weight it felt very heavy and I felt almost out of touch with what was happening with transmission.
The counter weight does an excellent job of helping the trans come out of gear and go into gear. Its a great idea form Ford I just think its a little too much weight or to heavy.

So I strongly recommend this simple mod to your shifter linkage. This along with the white bushing at the base of the shifter has made my cars shifting 100 times better than when I bought it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Racerbox How did you attach the bolt to the arm after adding the washers. What white bushing are you referring to and where does that attach to the shifter?

Paul

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Racerbox How did you attach the bolt to the arm after adding the washers. What white bushing are you referring to and where does that attach to the shifter?

Paul
Paul,
I used a nut and bolt as shown in the picture. After drilling the counter weight where it attaches to the arm the hole is perfect size for a 3/8" bolt.

The white bushing is attached to the shifter handle. You can see it if you pop your shifter boot off. Search for it on the forum here. Theres a write up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts