Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, from this side profile (the wheels were silver), what model 2006 ZX4 is it?

Inside is full leather, ceiling console (both remote and sunglasses compartments) but no sunroof, tilt/telescoping steering column, leather wrapped steering wheel w/ stalk radio controls, cruise control...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
2.3 engine, correct?

Even ignoring everything else (like the front bumper style) that would make it an ST.

'05-'07 only used that engine in the ST models, all others had the 2.0.

You should have rear disc brakes as well.

Nose & wheel style peg it by themselves, engine/disc brakes would prove it wasn't changed up from stock with ST parts.

·
So mote be it
8,958 Posts
I would peg it at an SES, sounds like similar options as my sisters 07 SES.

Its not an ST, just has SAP. ST's came with paint matched door handles and mirrors. Is it an automatic? ST's only came in 5sp. Like Sailer said, the rear discs and motor would be a telltale sign whether its an ST or not.

type your VIN in here (driver side door stick should have it, as well as your insurance card:)
http://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin-decoder/

or this one will give you your window sticker:
http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=EnterYourVinHere
(click link and then change the address bar, put you VIN where i typed out EnterYourVinHere)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
se or ses. Looking at wheels says ses.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, i got taken by the SAP. The seller (Craigslist) assured me it was an ST so i believed him. I also didn't know that the ST had painted mirrors and door handles (probably the best "by sight" model indication). At that time, i didn't know which part of the VIN to look at nor did i know what to look for under the hood as far as visual differences between the 20 and 23!!! I now know the intake manifolds are distinct enough to tell (the shape and the two vacuum hoses running between cyl 2 &3).

In fact, the model designation on the VIN# is P34, not P38 and the engine code is an "N" not a "Z". oh well live and learn. i'm pissed and now looking for a 2.5L which i will slowly build as i drive this slug. i'm NOT going to even put the Cosworth header/flex on it without talking to Tom first. I do want a tune just for drive-ability but can wait for a high compression 25 to replace this 20.

i need to read up on how difficult it is to transplant a 2009 or 2010 2.5L into the older MK1.25 chassis/electrical. I know that a VVT delete is necessary from my reading so far but that's not a big deal. I'm more worried about getting past CARB checks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Well that's rotten, appearance without the goodies.

ST wasn't sold in the CA emissions states, we didn't get any here for example.

Engine/rear discs/lunchbox delete were the easiest to see mechanical differences.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I <3 that bumper style.

·
Registered
753 Posts
You saying its not a 1:1 swap to my 05 ZX3? :(

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Well that's rotten, appearance without the goodies.

ST wasn't sold in the CA emissions states, we didn't get any here for example.

Engine/rear discs/lunchbox delete were the easiest to see mechanical differences.
WHAT! So are STs illegal in California?! Even after all these years?! [bash]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I don't think so.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
WHAT! So are STs illegal in California?! Even after all these years?! [bash]
You live there, maybe you can figure it out...

CA rules are complex & constantly changing, IDK how they handle "imports" from other states that never complied with their rules.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts