Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i have a 2003 svt euro with a borla cat back on it and a cold air intake i bough it with these on it. i've been reading up on superchargers and turbos and im tryin to debate witch one to go with. i dont realy wanna get to into the motar either but im definatly gunna stud the head and put a thicker head gasket on it neyone have ney preferences on what i should use? thanks

·
Trump 2016
12,990 Posts
nobody makes supercharger kits for the svt so i would go turbo you will enjoy it more plan to spend 5000 big ones

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
They do make superchargers for svt's they do not make them for the duratec motors but the zetec's they do. Powerworks for sure makes a super charger for them. I dont really know of any other companies that make them but there are people who make them.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=172

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
^^^

If you click on the link and scroll to the bottom:
NOTE: SuperchargersOnline is NO longer offering this system! This page is for product info only.[xx(]
Probably have to wait for a used one to pop up.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Well that sucks. Im sure some companies are still offering them. That was just the first link under powerworks. -_- sorry about that.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
In my opinion a SC for a Focus is a waste of time and money , Turbo will do a better job , make more TQ , more adjustability , cost about the same as the good SC , no more ware then a sc

Tom

·
Registered
497 Posts
My buddy has the JR unit that came off my SVT. Made 240 to the tire with a custom tune. I think he wants close to 2k for it but I could be wayyyyy off. Fact is I don't know what he's looking for. PM if you're interested and I'll give you his contact information.

I kinda want to put it back on but it's not practical or affordable right now... :(

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Ive ridden in both turbo'd and SC'd foci. I can only say

Superchargers are definately cheaper, you can get a JRSC used for $1200 or less if you are at the right place at the right time. Do everything yourself, and you can keep things under $2400. The downside is that they dont produce much power. A local who had a supercharged SVT pulled a 10.1 vs my stock 10.3 in the 1/8th, and the power difference was almost nominal. Another local who has a S/C on top of many other mods with dyno tuning, etc, is definately going faster down the track, i forget his times, but its running high 9s.

The turbo foci that Ive been in though, they are noticeably faster than even a well built supercharged focus, not only are they producing more power, they take less horsepower to push. Also, because they are intercooled, they can go longer and harder without overheating, which is a big problem apparently for the non-intercooled Superchargers. A local 2.0 duratec with the fswerks stage 2 was running 9.7s consistently on tires worse than the above s/c SVTs.

The procharger is inter-cooled, and makes as much power as the turbos do, but it costs effectively the same as a turbo, which kind of dismisses the point of having a cheaper alternative.

So long story short, for real performance, go turbo, for the cheaper, and not quite as good alternative go supercharger.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Have to consider that anything above my power level(torque level mainly) will need a quife diff and a stronger clutch. If u go turbo expect doing the trans-diff and clutch. That's why there's nothing I can do(for now) about my pegleg launch. If u just want to be quicker than bolt on svts go for a jrsc (cheap fun) and upgrade to a snail later. Right now there are under 5 foci in my area that r faster than me running turbos tho.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Depending on what state u live in the jackson racing SC are carb legal too. U can still pass smog checks and random check points lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
My buddy has the JR unit that came off my SVT. Made 240 to the tire with a custom tune. I think he wants close to 2k for it but I could be wayyyyy off. Fact is I don't know what he's looking for. PM if you're interested and I'll give you his contact information.

I kinda want to put it back on but it's not practical or affordable right now... :(
The powerworks makes around 230 on stock tune and its intercooled

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Depending on what state u live in the jackson racing SC are carb legal too. U can still pass smog checks and random check points lol
Also pros of the supercharger. I should retract my statement that turbos are better, they are just geared towards a different driving style and a different price bracket.

The non-intercooled superchargers are the best bang for the buck in terms of performance, and for a daily driver, they are great fun. Turbos are more intended for the track, and people who intend to be keeping that spool going.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Thats just wrong in so many ways

Turbos have more adjustability so if you want 5psi or 20 psi yu can have it , SC you stuck and limited , very limited

sc just dont cost that much less then turbos do

turbos have no more ware then a sc does

turbos make more torque much more even at the same boost as a sc

turbos are just as reliable/good for daily driving as a sc

Why does everyone thing turbos are all balls to the way or nothing ?????

Tom

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Because when anyone puts on a turbo for the first time they take it balls to the wall and blow something up. Then they tell their friends about the dangers of turbo.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
My buddy has the JR unit that came off my SVT. Made 240 to the tire with a custom tune...
Could you post the dyno graph, supporting mods list and ambient temperature for that number, please.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
^so tom I can get a turbo kit from u for $700? That how much my so called piece of crap jrsc cost me lol
Consider it as a stepping stone. Most people go for n/a bolt ons then step up to a jrsc then leap up to a turbo. Just like suspension u start off with a frpp kit then to race springs then leap up to coilovers haha. Its all on ur budget at the time and what u want to do with ir sweet Svt!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts