Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
It could just be something loose. I'm not really sure.

Just so you're aware and can work on some preventative maintenance, volcanic ash is highly corrosive. I'm familiar with military aircraft and the maintenance for them. When operating in areas that are by the sea or have high volcanic ash, they require frequent washing and drying to prevent corrosion. It'd be well worth your time to wash the car, have it sealed, then waxed. Also, just to be nice to the underside. See if any mechanics offer a cleaning and sealing of the bottom with something like AMSOIL Heavy Duty Metal protector. This type of treatment is offered and popular amongst those living stateside in the north. If you can't find said service overseas, just get under the car and spray and then touch any rusty bits briefly with a wire brush. After that, order some HD Metal protector and go to town. All of this will keep that car of yours nice and prevent you from having premature rusty bits which might contribute to more noises down the road and hurt your resale value. If you've got more questions, PM me. Best of luck with the fix!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So if I have doing my research correctly the following list is a good medium ground for a DD Focus in upgrading suspension.

1. Steeda springs
2. Steeda RSW
3. FSW
4. Correct dampened shocks
5. Front shock tower brace

This will get a more neutral handling, slightly lower stance and less body roll in the turns?

I have a 2017 Titanium hatch and do not want to go crazy but would really like to get a better handling car. Not sure if it can be more fun then the car is now but I am willing to try.... lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
It could just be something loose. I'm not really sure.

Just so you're aware and can work on some preventative maintenance, volcanic ash is highly corrosive. I'm familiar with military aircraft and the maintenance for them. When operating in areas that are by the sea or have high volcanic ash, they require frequent washing and drying to prevent corrosion. It'd be well worth your time to wash the car, have it sealed, then waxed. Also, just to be nice to the underside. See if any mechanics offer a cleaning and sealing of the bottom with something like AMSOIL Heavy Duty Metal protector. This type of treatment is offered and popular amongst those living stateside in the north. If you can't find said service overseas, just get under the car and spray and then touch any rusty bits briefly with a wire brush. After that, order some HD Metal protector and go to town. All of this will keep that car of yours nice and prevent you from having premature rusty bits which might contribute to more noises down the road and hurt your resale value. If you've got more questions, PM me. Best of luck with the fix!
Thanks so much for responding - will get it up on base shop to check underneath and look into spray washing area - you are definitely right about volcanic Ash being like gremlin type material.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm looking into standard bilstein b4 shocks in the rear. When you've replaced your shocks, do you typically put a boot/cover on? Do you use a dampener or bushing? I know that the stock ones have both a cover and bushing, but I don't think the bilsteins come with that. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
364 Posts
What parts are different on the rear suspension from NA to ST? I'd like to convert but does the whole assembly need to be swapped? Any experience doing this?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Coming from a Subaru, I'm curious if there is a kit for raising the Focus, rather than lowering it. Or, is this considered blasphemous and I should avoid asking such things in polite company? [paranoid]

My driving style and road preference tends to be unpaved and rugged enough on occasion to justify another inch or two of ground clearance. Navigating to MTB trailheads on forest service roads, occasional forays into the rough for trail work, and general dirt road exploration and driving fun are likely pursuits.

Anyone know of a "Rally Suspension Kit" offered by any vendor? My searches so far have not been fruitful toward revealing any such bling for the Focus.

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts
Coming from a Subaru, I'm curious if there is a kit for raising the Focus, rather than lowering it. Or, is this considered blasphemous and I should avoid asking such things in polite company? [paranoid]

My driving style and road preference tends to be unpaved and rugged enough on occasion to justify another inch or two of ground clearance. Navigating to MTB trailheads on forest service roads, occasional forays into the rough for trail work, and general dirt road exploration and driving fun are likely pursuits.

Anyone know of a "Rally Suspension Kit" offered by any vendor? My searches so far have not been fruitful toward revealing any such bling for the Focus.
There isnt any sort of kit for raising the car. Easiest thing would be to get slightly taller tires and or go down a size to take advantage of even more side wall.

you can see what others are doing here for more actual off roading:
Road Racing & Rally - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

·
Registered
68 Posts
There isnt any sort of kit for raising the car. Easiest thing would be to get slightly taller tires and or go down a size to take advantage of even more side wall.

you can see what others are doing here for more actual off roading:
Road Racing & Rally - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Rebel Devil just came out with their lift kit for the mk3 focus. Currently they have kits for the NA, and are developing kits for the ST and Rs suspensions. They are all inclusive kits that will correctly raise your car. https://rebeldevil.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=149507&name=2012-rebel-devil-customs-lift-kit-3&Itemid=170

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am interested in trying to upgrade my base SE suspension with a THP.
I want to test drive a car with this package first though.
CARMAX in my area has several Titanium Foci.

Can anyone tell me how I can tell if a car has the THP?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am interested in trying to upgrade my base SE suspension with a THP.
I want to test drive a car with this package first though.
CARMAX in my area has several Titanium Foci.

Can anyone tell me how I can tell if a car has the THP?
I believe it would have the optional 18 inch 5 spoke wheels instead of the 17 inch multispoke wheels. Not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Just a heads up everyone. There's a glitch in Ford's system.

I recently rebuild my entire front suspension (struts). For my 2013 Titanium, build Sept. 2012 (Touring Suspension), I needed the following parts:

1x CV6Z-18124-E (AST-943) (Driver Strut)
1x CV6Z-18124-F (AST-944) (Passenger Strut)
2x BV6Z-5310-B / BV61-5310-NG (Springs)
2x CV6Z-18A047-A (Dust Cover)
2x CV6Z-3020-A (Strut Bumper)
2x DV6Z-18198-D (AD1151) (Strut Bearing)
2x CV6Z-18183-A (AD1152) (Strut Mount)

Now, you need the spring insulator. In Ford's system, it'll tell you the following part CV6Z-5414-B. This part replaced CV6Z-5414-A. However, CV6Z-5414-A is still the correct design for our struts and CV6Z-5414-B will not fit. The problem is CV6Z-5414-A cannot be ordered anymore since this part was discontinued.

You will need to get CV6Z-5793-A (2x) instead. It says "Without Touring" but it'll work for our touring suspension.

The above parts will work for any 2013 Titanium (or SE Sport) with Touring Suspension build between Dec 2011 and Dec 2012.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have Focus 2012 TDCI 1.6 85kW and left strut was BV-61-18K001-ABC but I break it, can I replace it with BV61-18K001-HAC.
Right one is good and it's BV61-18045-ABC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just installed the ford performance spring on my 2013 Focus S sedan, it was only a half inch drop but stiffed up a bit. Really happy with it, was only $125. Iv'e got a video of a canyon run on my channel (shameless plug I know haha SDR720) and it was holding between 45-60 around those corners where the suggested speed is 30mph. Im gunna do a rear sway bar and wheels and tires next, but im on the fence about the front adjustable swaybar endlinks from steeda, or how I would fine tune those.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New here and overwhelmed with how many posts to sort through and search not working can anyone tell me is there a difference from sedan vs hatch as far as suspension and exhaust goes ? I have a sedan and looking to sport it up

21 - 39 of 39 Posts