Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you read on, please note, this thread is for Mk3 STs only.

Hello All. I'm trying to reach as many people as possible, which is why i have created three threads in three separate sections of this forum. I am a regular over on focusst.org, so this forum layout a little different for me, since the N/A focus is included as well as the older gen.

The ST has been around for a few years now, and early on over on focusst.org, we started to document motor failure to see if we could spot a trend. Well that tread has now reach 184 pages of data, and honestly its hard to see a trend with only ten posts a page. So i collected all the data and put it into one Google Worksheet and i also created a Google Form for any future ST owners to fill out should they ever experience engine failure. We are trying to document as many failures as we can in hopes of finding a trend, and fixing the issue.

The Form is located here: http://goo.gl/forms/FAxa8RBKxkKNI3Ew2
The Worksheet is located here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15SPk4dM4cJ1tLYyNv5OD7cWtSTc-x3iEDcoU2TBbrQk/edit?usp=sharing

Now I know I have already posted this in other sections, but again, because of the larger community here, im trying to hit all the sections a Focus ST owner may look. I hope the admins and moderators here don't mind, as well as the community. Please share this form and worksheet with your fellow ST owners on Facebook, Instagram and your local car clubs. The more information we can gather, the better it will be for the ST community.

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Before you read on, please note, this thread is for Mk3 STs only.

Hello All. I'm trying to reach as many people as possible, which is why i have created three threads in three separate sections of this forum. I am a regular over on focusst.org, so this forum layout a little different for me, since the N/A focus is included as well as the older gen.

The ST has been around for a few years now, and early on over on focusst.org, we started to document motor failure to see if we could spot a trend. Well that tread has now reach 184 pages of data, and honestly its hard to see a trend with only ten posts a page. So i collected all the data and put it into one Google Worksheet and i also created a Google Form for any future ST owners to fill out should they ever experience engine failure. We are trying to document as many failures as we can in hopes of finding a trend, and fixing the issue.

The Form is located here: http://goo.gl/forms/FAxa8RBKxkKNI3Ew2
The Worksheet is located here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15SPk4dM4cJ1tLYyNv5OD7cWtSTc-x3iEDcoU2TBbrQk/edit?usp=sharing

Now I know I have already posted this in other sections, but again, because of the larger community here, im trying to hit all the sections a Focus ST owner may look. I hope the admins and moderators here don't mind, as well as the community. Please share this form and worksheet with your fellow ST owners on Facebook, Instagram and your local car clubs. The more information we can gather, the better it will be for the ST community.

Thank you,
Do you know what's causing the failures.???

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know what's causing the failures.???

Sent from my SM-G900P using FF Mobile
As of right now,many believe it to be fuel and/or heat related.

A lot of owners aren't to open about what they were doing when failure took place, but it looks like they were in a high-gear, low-rpm and went WOT. During this time, one of two things happened, depending on hardware. 1) lack of fuel (like a clogged injector) caused failure in cylinder, or 2) the high-load/ high-knock event caused the failure.

A lot of it could be bad fuel, bad plugs, bad injectors, etc. etc. We have seen quite a few motors being warrantied even when tuned. We also have our fair share of 100% stock cars having engine failure, which tells me regardless of modification, its driver error (high gear WOT with low RPM)

But we are still collecting data, and hopefully we can have a lot of owners fill out the form, so we can really narrow down whats going on during these events.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
The ST section threads are in a better location, this one is for common MkIII problems primarily fixed under warranty (not a DIY repair area).

This thread will end up moved/combined with one of the ST area ones - left for the moment since it started discussion here.

The other scenario I've heard of here is also a throttle at low RPM one, but not an "Owner error" like WOT at minimum RPM. Cruise control at normal hwy speeds has also been the originating condition for the LSPI (Low speed pre-ignition) assumed situation. No excessive slopes noted, cruise accel. should be limited below WOT, reports didn't mention hard accel. to maintain speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ST section threads are in a better location, this one is for common MkIII problems primarily fixed under warranty (not a DIY repair area).

This thread will end up moved/combined with one of the ST area ones - left for the moment since it started discussion here.

The other scenario I've heard of here is also a throttle at low RPM one, but not an "Owner error" like WOT at minimum RPM. Cruise control at normal hwy speeds has also been the originating condition for the LSPI (Low speed pre-ignition) assumed situation. No excessive slopes noted, cruise accel. should be limited below WOT, reports didn't mention hard accel. to maintain speed.
I understand, but I figured since the ST falls under this group, it could help potential buyers as well. Also this is not a DIY fix.

LSPI is an issue as well. Hard to say really whats going on, but the majority of cases is due to high heat causing the damage. As the data rolls in, we can start to sort and see what really is going on. So far, the majority of blown motors are from 2013-2014, so there is speculation that it could be from sub-standard materials used.

If this thread needs to be move around, thats fine, i just ask that it gets moved to a place of high traffic, and perhaps given a sticky/Read first.

Thank you,

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Sounds like oem intercoolers are poor in the first place too, something I would upgrade right away if I got an ST.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I understand, but I figured since the ST falls under this group, it could help potential buyers as well. Also this is not a DIY fix.

LSPI is an issue as well. Hard to say really whats going on, but the majority of cases is due to high heat causing the damage. As the data rolls in, we can start to sort and see what really is going on. So far, the majority of blown motors are from 2013-2014, so there is speculation that it could be from sub-standard materials used.

If this thread needs to be move around, thats fine, i just ask that it gets moved to a place of high traffic, and perhaps given a sticky/Read first.

Thank you,
Hmmm have you guys gotten any oil analysis done on the engines that failed??? You would be surprised of what that oil might tell you.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
High heat (lean mixtures) you get pistons failing right in the center - blows a hole right through them. What I've seen so far in pictures was ring and top piston land damage, heat might be involved as well but pre-ignition is a real suspect for most of the damage. More than just a little pinging there.

·
FF Affiliate
30,148 Posts
Just for me any way , The turbos spool to quick at to low an RPM , by changing the cam to dump some low rpm high throttle load and changing how the turbo spools under these conditions as well as how the knock sensor is set has helped my customers a lot with this issue

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts