Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with my 2013 Focus speed sensor. It will randomly display not supported on my odb2 computer. I have replaced the sensor and I still have the problem. The old sensor had a small bit of damage on it. How do these sensors work?

The car will randomly detect the problem and when it does it displays a service message and the car loses most of its power.

I do not have a abs computer, but I did bring it in once and they said front right speed sensor was giving error codes. Any idea what to try next?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can someone tell me where the pickups are for the front sensor? Are they on the wheel bearing? I can't seem to find any information on this one and with snow on the ground I'm concerned the abs system wont work properly.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
They are on the wheel bearing. The bearing has a magnetic strip that sends signal to the sensor itself. I know because I've busted apart the ENTIRE knuckle to fix an abs sensor issue

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I brought it in to find what wheel was having the problem and the computer said it was a short or open in right front speed sensor. So to me it sounds like a wiring issue. This car was in a collision so it is possible that its cut somewhere.

I have the wiring schematics, but it shows the wires run into the ESP Module at plug C1CA01- 34 and C1CA01- 33. But where is the ESP module? I have never heard of that. Is that the same as the abs module?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just tested continuity from speed sensor plug to esp plug and it tests out good. (ESP is the ABS pump)

So now I'm really lost. What are the odds that I had a bad speed sensor and for sent me another bad sensor? Its getting really dangerous to drive now too. Today the car wouldn't let us move more than 2mph from a stop light.

·
Registered
184 Posts
A bad sensor itself can report as an open or short circuit aswell. I know im not much help. But it is certainly not unheard of for things to be bad out of box

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A bad sensor itself can report as an open or short circuit aswell. I know im not much help. But it is certainly not unheard of for things to be bad out of box
I agree with that, but the odds of the one in the car being bad with only 16,000 miles on it and a new one are very slim.

Okay so I need some help on this. The shops I took it to read that it has a short in the front right speed sensor.

So they said I should replace the speed sensor harness. I did and still get the message. Now I have decided to cut out and replace the entire wire feeding from the ABS module to the speed sensor. After doing that I get hill start not available and no speedometer functioning. Now I'm leaning towards a faulty abs module.

Does anyone have any tips for me on this? I have already spent over 30 hours trying to figure this problem out and have gotten nowhere.

Thanks

Edit: So I guess I didn't check for shorts well enough. I found I somehow had one somewhere under the heat shrink tubing. Now I have fixed that were back to a functioning car. I need some time now to test it out and see if I get the fault again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem is still here. This is what I have done so far.

Replace Speed Sensor
Replace Wire from speed sensor to ABS pump
Replace ABS pump

Right now I am always getting hill start assist not available at all times. So I am going in reverse. I have no idea where to go now.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
When you replace the ABS pump it NEEDS to be recalibrated to your car. I just went through this myself. Just take it to a dealer and tell them you need the ABS module reflashed. If they say they cant do it go to another dealer. I think these cars have issues with modules.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you replace the ABS pump it NEEDS to be recalibrated to your car. I just went through this myself. Just take it to a dealer and tell them you need the ABS module reflashed. If they say they cant do it go to another dealer. I think these cars have issues with modules.
Did your car display any error codes before it was calibrated. I think mine might be something more. I looked in the shop manual and it didn't say anything about calibration after replacing.. I think I am going to take it to the repair shop now. I just have no more ideas on it.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Trust me, it needs to be recalibrated. Take it to the dealer. When I had my old module, it gave me codes saying the module was bad. Then I got the new module and the codes were that the lateral and longitudinal sensors were not calibrated.

Reactions: schrodingersbox

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Since the ABS was not calibrated, the PSCM was saying invalid data received.
Look up the codes in the manual and you will see what I mean. Once it was recalibrated, all the codes were nonexistent and the car is at 100%

1 - 14 of 14 Posts