Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should wrote a "how to" with pictures
How do you shortened the shifter? Did you saw off the stick?

I'm not really a 'how to" type of guy on an English forum since my first language is French. An "how to" is really not necessary. It is a pretty easy thing to do but if you want, I can find all the information you need about doing this modification and help you doing it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Good morning Kent, Your post yesterday is amazingly timely to my upcoming project.

Were there any fitment problems with the solid base bushings, or was it an easy replacement? How would you judge the quality of the original bushings?

Many thanks, Kent.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good morning Kent, Your post yesterday is amazingly timely to my upcoming project.

Were there any fitment problems with the solid base bushings, or was it an easy replacement? How would you judge the quality of the original bushings?

Many thanks, Kent.

No, they fit perfectly, like they were fitting on the ST. It is a very easy replacement (if you have some basic mechanical habilities) and they are no fittement issues. The original bushings are rubber so they take "that feeling" away. I cutted 1 1/4 inch, I would recomend going 1 1/2 or 1 3/4, not more.

This, combined with the E-Focus RMM and my car does not feel like a semi anymore.

The center console is tricky to un-assemble the first time around, but it was my 4th time so it took me 15 minutes to un-assemble the console, 10 mins removing the shifter, 1.5 hour un-assembling it, re-threading it and re-assembling it. and 30 minutes to put the car back together.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I'm not really a 'how to" type of guy on an English forum since my first language is French. An "how to" is really not necessary. It is a pretty easy thing to do but if you want, I can find all the information you need about doing this modification and help you doing it.
Go ahead...I will translate it for you hehehehe [:D]

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A buddy, who is a Ford tech, installed my Ford Racing STS yesterday, along with the Steeda Focus ST solid shifter base bushings. I was amazed that he finished the replacement, with all trim pieces reinstalled perfectly, in just over 1 hour.

Ford Racing advertises an "18%" reduction in the throw. Honestly, it was impossible for me to envision as to how that would feel, so I really did not know what to expect.

Lemme tell ya, upon getting into the car for the first time after installation, the visual impact of the lowered shifter was a wonderful surprise, more than I expected. I did not measure the height from the top of the stock shifter to the top of the shifter bezel, but for the short shifter in neutral, it is 4 inches from the top point of the STS (by the 1-2-3 numbers) to the top of the bezel. I would guesstimate a height reduction of 1 to 1.25 inches.

Before starting up, I depressed the clutch and moved the lever through the gears---spongey feeling gone, shifter moved with deliberate feel through each of the gears.

Shifting while driving is more fun than ever. Pre-STS-, the shifter could feel kind of rubbery in the shift from 1 to 2. No more. No doubt about it, the throws between the gears are shorter. Much shorter. But, if you are looking for the shortest throw, I can tell you that the FR-STS is probably not for you, as it is obvious while shifting, that there is further reduction room. Also, there are less expensive choices.

I chose the FR because it is plug and play, I wanted Ford parts and my bud is a Ford tech.

Mike at White Bear Lake Ford gave me a 25%!discount off of retail! and the shifter arrived sooner than expected.

Picture is of the installed shifter.

Attachments

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
A buddy, who is a Ford tech, installed my Ford Racing STS yesterday, along with the Steeda Focus ST solid shifter base bushings. I was amazed that he finished the replacement, with all trim pieces reinstalled perfectly, in just over 1 hour.

Ford Racing advertises an "18%" reduction in the throw. Honestly, it was impossible for me to envision as to how that would feel, so I really did not know what to expect.

Lemme tell ya, upon getting into the car for the first time after installation, the visual impact of the lowered shifter was a wonderful surprise, more than I expected. I did not measure the height from the top of the stock shifter to the top of the shifter bezel, but for the short shifter in neutral, it is 4 inches from the top point of the STS (by the 1-2-3 numbers) to the top of the bezel. I would guesstimate a height reduction of 1 to 1.25 inches.

Before starting up, I depressed the clutch and moved the lever through the gears---spongey feeling gone, shifter moved with deliberate feel through each of the gears.

Shifting while driving is more fun than ever. Pre-STS-, the shifter could feel kind of rubbery in the shift from 1 to 2. No more. No doubt about it, the throws between the gears are shorter. Much shorter. But, if you are looking for the shortest throw, I can tell you that the FR-STS is probably not for you, as it is obvious while shifting, that there is further reduction room. Also, there are less expensive choices.

I chose the FR because it is plug and play, I wanted Ford parts and my bud is a Ford tech.

Mike at White Bear Lake Ford gave me a 25%!discount off of retail! and the shifter arrived sooner than expected.

Picture is of the installed shifter.
The Ford Racing Short Throw shifter for the Focus ST advertises the 18% reduction, but it's closer to a 30% reduction on the N/A short throw shifter.
tech notes
Fits 2012-2014 Ford Focus with five-speed manual transmission
30% shorter shift throws than OEM shifter
Nickel-plated shift handle prevents corrosion
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=23001

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Hey Suss, thank you ! I misspoke on the 18% figure.
You're welcome, although I'm surprised you went with the Steeda shifter base bushings rather than the JBR ones which do the same job but cost less. At least you didn't go with the anodized aluminum in various colors from Boomba for the same price as the Steeda bushings in an application where you'd never see them except during the initial install.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
@roswelltop
"the shifter could feel kind of rubbery in the shift from 1 to 2. No more..."
I feel that every time I drive this car, I did think it was a clutch problem, what I see it's a stick issue

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hey Suss, I initially thought that I was going to go with the JBR bushings. However, I needed them in time for a Saturday installation, and with Steeda being relatively closer to me then JBR, I knew I could get them in time.

Additionally I had been corresponding by email with Steeda when TJ had his guy Frank give me a telephone call to assist me with details. With the discount, Steeda cost me about $10 more than JBR. Well worth the difference. When I hung up the phone, my order had been placed, and I had the bushings in hand the very next day.

As for the "anodized bushings in various colors"--the word that comes to mind is "Why".

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
CunFFS13--so, I am not alone in that 1-2 rubbery / sloppy shift with the OEM.

From 2000 thru 2010, I drove either manual Volkswagens or BMW's. This new short throw reminds me of the shifting experience that comes with German engineering.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts