Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Vive Les Revolucion!
4,025 Posts
ah, so entirely different connector.... bummer...

·
Vive Les Revolucion!
4,025 Posts
*shrug* no worries... just means that I have to visit a ford dealer when the GF and I finally go on our honeymoon to Ireland...

·
Vive Les Revolucion!
4,025 Posts

·
Vive Les Revolucion!
4,025 Posts
uh oh.... methinks you n me have some very similar ideas....

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have returned to fulfill my promise to Tech-Specter! Albeit months upon months late. I solved the riddle of the trunk lid brake lights a while back, but I stumbled into it and learned as I went so it was hard to convey what had actually been done. Having recently swapped a set out for a newer pair I figured it was about time this info got posted.

I used solder, shrink wrap and electricians tape and male/female plugs to make the housing detachable. These new ones don't sit on the car the same as the old and I wonder if I can edit them. Anyways.

How to Wire the Trunk Lid Brake Lights (and everything else, detachable!)

Trunklid Assembly Edits
  1. Take your aftermarket trunklid light assembly and snip off the black plug.
  2. Stick a male connector on the end of the black wire(s) That's your shared ground.
  3. Stick a male connector on the end of the white/black wire. That's your power to the reverse lights.
  4. Stick a male connector on the end of the yellow/green wire. That's your power to the brake lights.
  5. Leave all the other stuff alone.
Preparing to Power Reverse Light and Ground Everything
  • You'll have to clip off your OEM reverse light plugs for this. The alternative is OP's method. This way is more easily detachable if done with care (I soldered many connections.)
  • Attach female connectors to each end. There should be a black/white and a green/brown.
Preparing to Receive Brake Light Signal
  • Make yourself a short length (2") of wire and stick a female connector on it. Strip 1/4 of the covering off the other end.
  • Tap into the yellow/gray (brake signal) from your high mounted rear brake light. I used the same wire tap as OP and ran my 2" wire out of it towards the rear of the car. The rear because it makes it easier to connect with.
  • Make yourself another two lengths of wire, perhaps 1.5ft long each.
  • Using your method of choice, combine the two lines to a single point but stick a male connector on the end of that point.
  • Stick female connectors on the other two ends.
Plug Everything In
  • Take your list assembly and get it in place.
  • Plug in the wire running from the driver side tail light to the light and your trunlid light. Run the other length across to the other side, plug in there as well. That's your LED strip power.
  • Plug a green/yellow (brakes) and a black (shared ground) into the resistor connections. These should all come with connections that have clear rubber protective sleeves. Best to just plug those into the resistors as designed.
  • Take your shared ground (black) and plug it into the white/black (ground) coming from the car.
  • Take your white/black (reverse light) wire and plug it into the green/brown coming from the car (reverse power.)
  • Take your long line of wire (the 1.5fts one) and plug into the tapped brake signal from the high mounted light.
  • Take your yellow/green and plug into an open end of the brake signal wires.
  • Repeat on the other side.
Profit. [cheers]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hate to beat a dead horse, but I purchased these tail lights from eBay...not plug n play. So, i did some research and found this thread.

My question maybe silly to you guys, but it should be basic. I'm attempting to quick splice connect (or posi-tap) the wires.

The harness on the led has 3 wires (green,red,black)

And the stock harness has 2 wires (white/black and green/brown)

I assume the black goes to white/black for ground (maybe).
What about the green and red wires?

Here is a better look of led tail light wiring:

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
drkfordfocus,

I assume you are speaking of wiring the inner section attached to the trunk, is that correct? I installed these lights on my US Focus and had to be a little creative as well. If I remember correctly, the inner section should have 4 wires - ground, running light, reverse light, and rear fog. The stock wiring only has 2 wires because the only light on the stock inner section was the reverse light. I know you've posted a lot of pictures already but can you post the outside of the tail light in question and then show the connector to it again? I'm confused why there are only 3 wires on the harness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Right here is the full inner, i was told by ebay seller to connect those wires to the outside part and the other inside part, so they kind of link together.

Also, here is the full outer part:

Then in this last picture, i took them both together and connected together:

·
Registered
8 Posts
So it's a little tricky to reverse engineer the situation but what it looks like/what I would guess is that the blue/white wire is the running light (the glowing strips) and then the 3 wire connector is likely a ground, reverse light, and the rear fog. Do you have a 12V bench supply so you can test the connector and find out which leads are what? My guess is the black is ground, red is rear fog, and green is the reverse light but you can easily tell by which of those connectors unscrews to allow bulb access. I wish I could be more helpful but it really just needs a little bit of testing on a bench supply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wish I had one, but i dont. It looks like you are right when i unscrew the bulb. Looks like green is reverse, black wire is coming from both bulbs so it seems like that is ground, then its the red wire. So as far as the stock harness, does black go to the white/black wire and green go to green/brown wire? Not sure where the red wire would go lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
So assuming that black on the tail light is ground, that would need to be connected to the vehicle ground which I think is actually the green/brown wire from the harness. Then the black/white wire from the harness would be the positive for the rear fog so connect that to the green on the tail light. This leaves the red wire which I think, in your case, is the positive for the rear fog - I have wired it on my car to be a brake light since I don't have the wiring harness or controls for a rear fog light. The blue/white connector should power the running lights. If you have a multimeter you can test the polarity of the stock connector since I'm not 100% sure that green/brown is the vehicle ground. If you don't wire up the rear fogs, this won't actually matter since the incandescent reverse bulb works in either polarity.

In summary - from car to tail light I think the wiring should be:

car green/brown -> tail light black (ground)
car white/black -> tail light green (reverse light)
car brake positive -> tail light red (rear fog/brake) This one is optional
blue/white -> blue/white (running light power tapped from the other assembly)

·
Registered
952 Posts
From my post #49 earlier in this thread

"Trunklid Assembly Edits
Take your aftermarket trunklid light assembly and snip off the black plug.
Stick a male connector on the end of the black wire(s) That's your shared ground.
Stick a male connector on the end of the white/black wire. That's your power to the reverse lights.
Stick a male connector on the end of the yellow/green wire. That's your power to the brake lights.
Leave all the other stuff alone."

Obviously your colours are different, but if you use male/female connectors you only have two configurations to test before getting it right. Black is your ground, and on the LED unit the grounds are shared.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts