Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I recently purchased a used FSWERKS race exhaust off of a forum member here, Five o Focus. Whom may I say is an amazing seller and would definitely do business with again! It only had roughly 10k miles on it and no rust. [like] I'm making this thread mainly because I could not find a write up for how to install an exhaust on a MK3 sedan. So hopefully this will help out someone who gets stuck or isn't familiar with how to change an exhaust. [wrenchin] I'll try my best to explain things best I can as it was a little tricky in places, and I apologize if my picture quality is a little shady it was dark at the end and I was using my phone. [dunno]

The package was shipped in a very sturdy package with sufficient padding and protection for the contents. It was shipped as soon as possible and arrived less than 24 hours after it was shipped, I was lucky enough to live only 4-1/2 hours away from Kevin.
20140825_164918.jpg
Here is the exhaust system after unpacking.

20140826_185510.jpg

After unpacking we put the car up on ramps and used a jack and axle-stands on the rear driver side for easier access.

20140826_193420.jpg

Next came taking off the old exhaust which we knew we were going to have to cut. We managed to get away with only cutting it twice (once before and after the rear axle). The hardest part of the whole install was removing the nuts and bolts on the flange attaching the exhaust to the cat. With some liquid wrench and some serious Muscle we got them off after 20 minutes.
*Note* we had to take off the pieces of the sub-frame that run over the exhaust.

20140826_195052.jpg
20140826_201710.jpg

Remove the muffler by unscrewing the hanger arm on the passengers side and sliding the muffler off the rubber hangars. You only need to keep the drivers side hangar. We cut the exhaust behind the rear axle and removed the muffler.
20140826_202520.jpg

Then we removed the exhaust from the other 2 hangars and cut it in front of the rear axle. The exhaust was now free and we put the new exhaust on in the same order.
20140826_205145.jpg

We had to make a Wal-Mart run at this time as the stock bolts were seized in the old flange, and the nuts were extremely rusted. We put the new exhaust on starting from the rear up.
20140826_220956.jpg

You use two 2-1/2 in exhaust U-bolts where the exhaust pieces match up to secure it together, I bought them at pepboys for $7.
20140826_221009.jpg
20140826_220717.jpg

After the exhaust is mounted up just put the sub-frame pieces back on and you're done! It took my buddy and I 4 hours to do the whole job. Sounds good upon first impressions with not much drone except for speed 70 and up. Will post a sound clip when I have time tomorrow. Thanks for reading and feel free to give rep if you feel I did a good job with this write up, it was my first one!

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good glad to see some mk3's in ky
We actually have our own focus group here in the Louisville area called focus xtreme on FB. you should check it out. We do meets at least bi-monthly and its a good group of guys and gals. I also moderate a Louisville Ford enthusiast group on FB. Its pretty cool to see all the different types of Ford lovers in our city. You might actually see me around LaGrange BTW! That's where I do all of the work to my car and my girlfriends parents live out there so I'm in LaGrange about once a week.
Does the mid section hang at all?
Nope it fits nice and snug with all the hangers and support struts that go over top of it. Very solid exhaust system and I'm extremely pleased with it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nice, one last questionat your axel do you have an extra hanger just floating there? On mine I do.. Stealth Exhaust though

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No the exhaust uses all 3 hangars as the stock one. One where the tip is on above the rear axle and one after where the pipe makes the bend.

·
Registered
242 Posts
No the exhaust uses all 3 hangars as the stock one. One where the tip is on above the rear axle and one after where the pipe makes the bend.
Three hanger slots? Mine only has two hanger slots. The exhaust system has three but there is an empty hanger just floating on my back axel...

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There should definitely be a hanger slot right above your rear axle. When you removed the stock exhaust was it only hung in two places also?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nope, only have two hanger points the very back and the mid section. Nothing at the axel.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's odd. I wonder if Ford changed it for the 2014 year.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Now that you say that. They probably did. Since they also changed the wheels and you can fit lowering springs on this model year yet unlike 12-13. My midsection hangs a little because I guess I probably don't have enough supporting points.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took a pointer from a forum member and made an exhaust cutout. Sits a lot nicer and doesn't just jut out from the back end at a weird angle anymore.
2014-09-03 16.06.01.jpg

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes and I put a smaller hangar on the back to raise it. There is only so much you can raise it before the pipe is going to contact the metal insulation under the car creating a vibrate under acceleration. It sits inside the cutout, but I would like to raise it a little more. It still sits high enough to satisfy me though. If anyone else is interested in any of the other mods I have done to my car feel free to check out my build thread.[popcorn]
-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470321

1 - 18 of 18 Posts