Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 198 Posts

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,547 Posts
Great thread but could someone please clean it up and delete all the garbage?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I posted this on the other thread, but thought it might be more appropriate somewhere over here:

There's a service tip on the ford tech website:

6361 - 2012-2013 Focus - Various Drivability, Transmission Shift/Engagement Concerns and/or DTC’s – Service Tip
Some 2012-2013 Focus vehicles may exhibit engine start concerns no crank, no start, hard start, intermittent start, noise during start and/or various automatic transmission concerns in Drive or Reverse when shifting from Park including no engagement, delayed or intermittent engagement. With or without a powertrain diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P06B8, P0805, P0809, P0850, P087A, P087E, P0884, P283A, P2831, P2832, P2835, P2836, P2837 May also set DTC P0700 without any accompanying fault codes. Prior to following normal diagnostics, first check G-104 for good body to ground contact. If ground eyelet can be rotated by hand, torque fastener to 12 Nm and verify eyelet cannot be rotated. If no issues are found, follow normal diagnostics.
I passed this one up yesterday until I realized that I have the P0850_52 DTC... hopefully this will fix my transmission issues? Though, I'm sure my clutch is already toast.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278111&page=2

EDIT: Anyone know where ground G-104 is?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
And since Ford has been less than helpful in even admitting there are problems with this transmission, here is a diagram:

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Any TSB for an intermittent cruise control for 2012 focus se with automatic transmission?
Hi amplifier28,

Give your dealership a call; they'll be able to see if there are any outstanding service actions for your vehicle.

Crystal

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have TSB 13-03-20

About freaking time! (Even though I don't have a sedan...)

Broadcast Message 5845

2012-2013 Focus - Rear Parcel Shelf - Vent Foam Deteriorating Or Falling Apart Built On Or Before 2/9/2013

See TSB: 13-03-20 for details.

See this thread for pics: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291723

Appreciate if anyone has this if I can get a copy. Going to dealer on Friday and would like to have it on hand. Thanks

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Not TSBs, per se, but noteworthy.

6532 - 2012-2013 Focus - Vibration in Reverse After Transmission Removal and Installation - Service Tip
Some 2012-2013 Focus vehicles equipped with a DPS6 transmission may exhibit a vibration in reverse after a transmission removal and installation. Prior to following normal diagnostics, first ensure the two roll restrictor bolts are correctly installed. The roll restrictor to engine bolt is longer than the roll restrictor to frame bolt which could touch the steering rack and ground out. If no issues are found, follow normal diagnostics.

6531 - 2011-2014 Fiesta / 2012-2014 Focus – Fluid Leak Between the Engine and Transmission.
Some 2011-2014 Fiesta and 2012-2014 Focus vehicles equipped with a DPS6 transmission may experience a fluid leak between the engine and transmission. Be aware that the engine oil and DPS6 transmission fluid are similar in color and texture. A transmission fluid leak at the input shaft seal can cause a buildup of fluid in the bell housing; creating the appearance of a rear main seal leak. The rear main seal should only be replaced after a rear main seal failure is confirmed through appropriate diagnostics outlined in the online Workshop Manual (WSM) Section 303-00 / Diagnosis and Testing.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Not TSBs, per se, but noteworthy.

6532 - 2012-2013 Focus - Vibration in Reverse After Transmission Removal and Installation - Service Tip
Some 2012-2013 Focus vehicles equipped with a DPS6 transmission may exhibit a vibration in reverse after a transmission removal and installation. Prior to following normal diagnostics, first ensure the two roll restrictor bolts are correctly installed. The roll restrictor to engine bolt is longer than the roll restrictor to frame bolt which could touch the steering rack and ground out. If no issues are found, follow normal diagnostics.

6531 - 2011-2014 Fiesta / 2012-2014 Focus – Fluid Leak Between the Engine and Transmission.
Some 2011-2014 Fiesta and 2012-2014 Focus vehicles equipped with a DPS6 transmission may experience a fluid leak between the engine and transmission. Be aware that the engine oil and DPS6 transmission fluid are similar in color and texture. A transmission fluid leak at the input shaft seal can cause a buildup of fluid in the bell housing; creating the appearance of a rear main seal leak. The rear main seal should only be replaced after a rear main seal failure is confirmed through appropriate diagnostics outlined in the online Workshop Manual (WSM) Section 303-00 / Diagnosis and Testing.
6531 is disturbing, there is a whole thread here of people excitedly awaiting their 2014 focus's, to which 6531 directly refers, for the same problem well known in posts here.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
6531 is disturbing, there is a whole thread here of people excitedly awaiting their 2014 focus's, to which 6531 directly refers, for the same problem well known in posts here.
I thought the same thing, but that's not saying that 2014s currently have the problem, just that the engine/bell housing/seal setup is the same as the rest of the years.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I thought the same thing, but that's not saying that 2014s currently have the problem, just that the engine/bell housing/seal setup is the same as the rest of the years.
if it does, the same sequence of events can happen,

seal leaks
parts are contaiminated
dry clutch is now wet
speed sensors confused
etc

I hope not for the sake of all the happy people posting on the waiting for 2014's on order thread

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow, mr_cassandra, disturbing to no end. I guess Ford went all in with this tranny. No matter how many fail, they will not fix or replace anything in the construction or build process because it costs too much money.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Wow, mr_cassandra, disturbing to no end. I guess Ford went all in with this tranny. No matter how many fail, they will not fix or replace anything in the construction or build process because it costs too much money.
Big, its important to remember that it is a very small percent of the owners having this problem. This is a highly popular car selling world-wide.
I think its is such a small percent that I am at a loss to explain why Ford doesn't just fix em all and move on.
But for sure, take one home for the weekend, drive fast, slow, ac on , extra passengers, heavy traffic, stop and go, highway etc.
If it all goes well, Its a great car.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
^^^ took mine in for this issue today, they plugged up the laptop and rode with me to see the issue. No codes or anything thrown. Got back to dealership and he looked up my vin and found this TSB, does the 13-9-4 mean Sept 4th 2013 as the date the TSB was issued? I was at the dealership last friday and asked about any TSB for my car and they found none but today they found 13-9-4. So now I have an appointment for next friday to get the TSB performed. He said they will first check for trans fluid leak and perform the PCM/TCM update to latest calibration. I'll post on how it goes next week.

·
Registered
53 Posts
6564 - 2011-2014 Fiesta / 2012-2014 Focus - Intermittent Transmission Clutch Shudder DPS6 Automatic Transmission And/Or Transmission Fluid Leak
See TSB: 13-09-04 for details. 13-09-04

Link: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3610/tsb13-09-04.pdf

+REP to kltye for the link!
But.. but.. but..

i thought this was a characteristic of this type of transmission? I thought shudder / vibration / noises were "normal" and all that was required was a break in period to learn stuff etc..

lol.

At least it's good to see things moving along to fix these issues. I have had good fortune to have had a nearly flawless experience with my Focus Tit hehe. Still, having expereienced some mild shudder myself, a one time complete loss of acceleration/power on the highway once, a one time loss of acceleration turning left and almost getting smoked by a bus, (these all took place early on, before i got the reflash).. i can empathize with those who had nightmare runs with their Focus and really want to see Ford make right.

And who knows.. good as things are for me, i know my time might come when something serious happens and im in their boat. I'm glad i have a good dealer/service rep at 401/Dixie Ford in Mississauga, they always take my concerns and advice. I have the 7yr extensive bumper to bumper warranty so im sure that i'll be taken care of. Last time i had an issue with the power steering/traction control/abs/hill assist all fail at the same time throwing up tons of warnings and dash lights, i found the answer on this forum and printed it out and before i could present it to my service rep, he already figured out the problem based on the symptoms. Ordered the new harness, and taped up the wires until id come back to get the harness put in.

I have http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3581/tsb13-04-05.pdf
bookmarked just in case i ever need it. Right now i only ever really get shudder after the car has run for a long time and only on 1st gear and sometimes when i come to a stop (neutral?). And gear change 1-2 and 2-3 will intermittently create the noise of a sink garbage disposal (churning/whirring/bag of marbles) Otherwise, car is fun. Have been really trying to drive slow off the line and increase peddle pressure only after making the thing shift into second gear to achieve better fuel economy. Have brought it down from 9.9 to 8.5km/100 combined. City driving is brutal during work commute to and from, but on open highways, 120-130km and she feels like a wild stallion at home on the open range, and still sipping lightly on gas.

I wonder if it's worth trying to eliminate the shudder and noise.. and if my car will behave even better with that TSB done? I feel like maybe i'm missing out (when i hear others talk about "THIS IS WHAT A DCT SHOULD BEHAVE LIKE!").. and i want to drive one that had it done so i can see if it is 'night and day' like they say. I'm worried that getting it done might actually do something worse to my car? If it aint broke don't fix it?

Ahhh, too many choices. I think i'll just bring it up next time im there and see if they react to me like they've heard it before or if they think im nuts and take it from there.I'd rather not be without my car for a day or two if i don't need to.

Course i should get a free rental if i do right?

And i will definitely try this little trick here too:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322276

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tried the 5 min Throttle response fix, did nothing, my focus SE had the exact same shifting issue you described. Took it to the dealer, they tried the re flash- did not work. Now clutch packs are on order awaiting install date. Will post results of this service once it occurs.

41 - 60 of 198 Posts