Votes: 222 73.5%
  • I would not recommend a Focus to a friend

Votes: 65 21.5%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I left blank the "interior & exterior because of defects that the dealer is in the process of fixing. Hope to be good in the end, but not perfect to start with.

·
Registered
120 Posts
In relation to some other comments, I had a VW GTI 08 DSG and it is to date the BEST car I've ever had, not a flaw!
I also LOVE my focus just as much, but DO miss the power of the GTI.
I prefer to drive a stick and when I tested the GTI's I drove both, bought the auto(DSG). Never in my life prefered an auto over a stick but I just didn't like the feel of the wifes 12 SE auto so had to go with a stick in my new focus.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
i voted but did not recommend... i'll clarify:

1. tho i've not had any serious problems w/ the DCT i still feel it's a half baked product, as others have had serious problems with it and , now two model years later, Ford still has not come up w/ a fix. As i said i've not had any serious problems but its lack of responsiveness esp at lower speeds does not encourage me to get, nor recommend, a DCT. I'll stick w/ the 5sp thanks, nxt time.
2. Still minor, very minor, but still should not be there, noises from front suspension with no definite fix.

I like the car overall and feel it's one of the better choices out there in this class but would not get the DCT again. However, even with the DCT issue out of the way there's still the clunking front suspension to deal with and Ford hasn't a fix for that (the TSB did not work for my car btw)

Unfortunately, this transmission, such a huge part of any car, is not what it should or could be and ruins all the good stuff the rest of the car offers, imo.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I voted very early on in this poll and responded positive in every category, but wanted to post an update to my responses since I'm now over 30k miles and over two years ownership. The changes I'd like to make are..... NONE!!!

Quality of my car is still top-notch, not an issue one in build, comfort, reliability, technology, or anything. This is STILL a joy to drive each and everyday, that's something that can't be said about many cars these days.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey Everyone.
Can I just say...

I rented a 2013 Kia Soul+ this weekend to go about 1200 miles round trip.
After driving that thing for so long uninterrupted it felt amazing to get back into my focus.

The main complaint with the Soul+ was that it was so damn uncomfortable. The best way to sit I found was with my back up against the rear passenger door... Of course that doesn't work if you're driving, to which I found no solution.
The second complaint with the Soul+ is that the suspension is absolutely 100% terrible, ever single bump on the road (of which there were many going through NJ, NY, CT, and MA) was transferred directly to my knees and it felt like I had just jumped ten feet onto concrete by the time I was done.
There were many other complaints as well such as: The doors (and windows) are unbelievably thing, and thus there is no sound deadening, and no place to rest your elbow on. The gas mileage was terrible, the Soul+ was rated at 28 highway (lol) which we were really struggling to get even going 65 in cruise control with the air-con off, I mean I guess the thing is a box, but it actually weighs LESS than the Focus. with such bad gas mileage the 12.7 gallon tank (showed empty 10.5) was very impractical for long journeys.

Of course every car has it's highlights, to which the Kia Soul+ was actually pretty quick (7 sec 0-60, faster than a stock focus), and had lots of cup holders. Unfortunately, no amount of cup holders can make up for the terrible ride of the Soul+. Just sayin' go rent one of these and take it on a road trip, and you'll be very very very happy with your comparably priced Focus. It's amazing to me that people actually bought the Kia Soul for around the same price as the Focus, though I expect a short test drive on smooth roads would not disclose its major faults.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I voted very early on in this poll and responded positive in every category, but wanted to post an update to my responses since I'm now over 30k miles and over two years ownership. The changes I'd like to make are..... NONE!!!

Quality of my car is still top-notch, not an issue one in build, comfort, reliability, technology, or anything. This is STILL a joy to drive each and everyday, that's something that can't be said about many cars these days.
Same here. 35k and no problems.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My car was cpo, with ,50k on it. My bcm was out, so my fogs wouldnt turn on. Uhhhg dealer tried to fix it but mucked up every computer in the car. The door chime didnt even sound right. two weeks later i got it back and ive driven it all they way up to 65k on 3 months. Now i feel like my clutch on my 6speed is slipping. But all in all, none of these problems have been Fords fault. The dealer blew the pc's.. but the cloth seats in the se i have.sweat and stain themselves, and they arent comfortable at ALL. 9/10

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
114 Posts
12 SE hatch no real problems at 32k. Some slight rattles in the instrument cluster, but all in all, a great car for <$16k!

·
Registered
636 Posts
25K here, tons of problems, all resolved now but still. I've talked several people out of this car and put two of them in Mazda's instead. My aunt did buy an Edge though on my recommendation.

·
Registered
234 Posts
2014 SE hatch DCT. Love it. Had a Honda Insight, 2010, for 3 years. Totally reliable but so rough and rattely and noisy it became a car I didn't want to grow old with. The mid 40s mpg just wasn't worth it. Love my Focus.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Love both of ours; the only complaint I have is on the '13, seems the paint is really thin on that car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I really wanted to like this car. It had such promise. Great package, great features, great technology, good looks.

But then I bought it.

Steering rack replaced after wait for parts. Reprogrammed engine/transmission several times. Oh and the MID stuff. Just to get the low washer fluid indication to play. Chrome peeling off airbag trim. Tail light loose. Light bulb in front out. Trim on rear seats was coming off. And Ford wanted to jerk the dealer around about fixing it on warranty. Rattles and squeaks proliferate. MFT is just incredibly unreliable and inconsistent in operation. Still. Three or four updates and re-do of settings later. Each update having traded one set of issues for a generally smaller but different set of issues. Can't even reliably remember what it was playing when car was shutdown. Still. Pretty clear Ford doesn't care, doesn't know how to fix, wouldn't have a clue what "fix" meant or how to test for it, or just can't be bothered. And on and on. And we don't yet have 20k miles on it. Wonder what we were thinking when we bought it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
At 36000 miles, first 15000 was rough experienced shaky car at low speed with the transmission or clutch, but took it to the dealer once Ford found a solution to it. All covered in the warranty, happy driver ever since.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I haven't had any major issues yet, but it took many tries to convince the dealership my cruise control wasn't working properly. Transmission is herky jerky on occasion, but I'm used to the feel of a manual transmission, so it isn't a big deal to me. The big deal is when I step on it and nothing happens or the engine only revs and does nothing else. Last week my lock door button didn't work in the afternoon, but after that day it didn't happen again. Also, my washer fluid low indicator is non-existant.

I still love the power (I swear they gave me an ST engine by mistake) and the handling.

61 - 80 of 162 Posts