Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used my last free oil change from the dealership, when I had my oil changed the last time. Since I don't want to pay someone $50.00 to change my oil I'm going to do it myself. I switched to full synthetic motor oil when I had my last oil change. I'm definitely not going to use Motorcraft oil or filters. I've always used Mobil 1 full synthetic.

So what oil filters are you guys using instead of the Motorcraft filter. Also which air filter would you guys recommend? I will probably put a cold air intake on this summer.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Well, actually the Motorcraft filter is pretty good.
An alternate Motorcraft filter is the FL400S. Same sort of filter, just a little larger.

other filters are also available which are based on the 'old' FL400S (it used to be longer)
The FL400S substitutes: (most are taller (larger) than the FL400s but still fit both the MK3 and ST
Mobil 1 M1-209 is good.
So are the Bosch 72143
and a few others

As for oil, I use Mobil 1.
In the 2012 SE I used the 0W20 Advanced Fuel economy.
In my new 2014 St I am using Mobil One 5W30 Extended Performance

I change my oil often. Way more often than the 10,000 mi. suggested by Ford.

If you are interested go and Google/uTube cut open oil filters. there are an almost endless supply of short videos showing what is inside various brands/models of oil filters.. Watching them may drive you crazy/neurotic

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I would just stick with the motorcraft. it's actually a good filter. In my previous Focus i used redline full synthetic oil and i always just used the motorcraft filter. I plan on switching to full synthetic in my new focus once i use up all my free oil changes.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I run Mobil 1 with a K & N oil filter. I run this set-up in all my vehicles, including motorcycles and I'm a firm believer in the products. They are top quality.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Well, actually the Motorcraft filter is pretty good.
An alternate Motorcraft filter is the FL400S. Same sort of filter, just a little larger.

other filters are also available which are based on the 'old' FL400S (it used to be longer)
The FL400S substitutes: (most are taller (larger) than the FL400s but still fit both the MK3 and ST
Mobil 1 M1-209 is good.
So are the Bosch 72143
and a few others

As for oil, I use Mobil 1.
In the 2012 SE I used the 0W20 Advanced Fuel economy.
In my new 2014 St I am using Mobil One 5W30 Extended Performance

I change my oil often. Way more often than the 10,000 mi. suggested by Ford.

If you are interested go and Google/uTube cut open oil filters. there are an almost endless supply of short videos showing what is inside various brands/models of oil filters.. Watching them may drive you crazy/neurotic

I agree with all the above...
I use M1-209 + 0W20 Advanced Fuel economy from Mobil1...

I'd avoid FRAM filters tho... (Quality of their filter dropped in the past years, not as good as before)

Purolator filter brand is top notch! (In fact, they manufacture for Motorcraft IIRC)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
As said above, I use Mobil 1 oil/filter. K&N & RP are great too. We sell a lot of those where I work at.

·
Registered
321 Posts
While I prefer the K&N product, I have used the Mobil 1 oil filter before. As I recall reading somewhere, the Mobil 1 filter is manufactured by K & N. It does appear to be a very high quality filter.

·
Registered
976 Posts
My understanding is that the Motorcraft filter is a good-quality filter...it's what I would use if I changed my owm.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
While I prefer the K&N product, I have used the Mobil 1 oil filter before. As I recall reading somewhere, the Mobil 1 filter is manufactured by K & N. It does appear to be a very high quality filter.
K&N and Mobil both have their filters manufactured to spec by a third party.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Motorcraft filters are of high quality, reasonably priced and are widely available, so they would be my first choice.

Nothing wrong with Fram filters, just go to "ToughGuard" or above in the Fram hierarchy. There have been reports of media tears in Purolator filters lately, but it's hard to know how prevalent this problem was/is.

As a general rule of thumb, take a look at the anti-drain-back-valve on a filter (this is typically visible though the small holes on top). If it's pinkish in color, it's silicone; if grey/black it's nitrile. A silicone ADBV is superior and generally the sign of a high-quality oil filter. (The "S" in Motorcraft 901S for the Focus stands for Silicone.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I d check out bobistheoilguyforum. There is more info on that site concerning oil and filters that anyone would need to know.
As of late there has been reports of the Motorcraft filters having issues with the pleats splitting.
The Fram Ultra is purported as being a very good filter at a great price but as always do a little research.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Motorcraft filters are of high quality, reasonably priced and are widely available, so they would be my first choice.

Nothing wrong with Fram filters, just go to "ToughGuard" or above in the Fram hierarchy. There have been reports of media tears in Purolator filters lately, but it's hard to know how prevalent this problem was/is.

As a general rule of thumb, take a look at the anti-drain-back-valve on a filter (this is typically visible though the small holes on top). If it's pinkish in color, it's silicone; if grey/black it's nitrile. A silicone ADBV is superior and generally the sign of a high-quality oil filter. (The "S" in Motorcraft 901S for the Focus stands for Silicone.)
Sage advice as usual. I would also add that if you do choose to use an aftermarket filter, make sure it has a pressure relief valve at the inlet as Ford engineers intended.

Here is a comparison of the Motorcraft and Mobil 1 filter (FL-820S for illustration):

Attachments

·
Registered
976 Posts
I always understood Purolator to make high-quality filters, even their basic one.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I always understood Purolator to make high-quality filters, even their basic one.
The basic Purolator filter is on par with the base Fram filter (i.e. nitrile ADBV), both of which are a step down from Motorcraft (imho, at least). Purolator and Fram are fine, just spend a couple dollars more to move above their bottom offerings.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
One point in favor of the Mobil 1 filter is that it has the same relief valve design as the Motorcraft types.
The Bosch does not.
In the Motorcraft and Mobil1 the relief valve is just past the screw opening. You can see the coil spring just past the threads.
The type with the spring at the bottom of the can, no internal spring bit visible.

I would caution anyone buying off Amazon,the Mobil 1M1-209 seller with the $7.95 price (filterdump) is selling previous generation filters, NOT the actual one advertised.
The picture is of the current Mobil 1 filter, and advertising on the box etc claims 3x more dirt .. The ones sent by Filterdump @ the $7.95 price are old filters with avertising 2x and far fewer pleats in the filter element.
I sent them back to Amazon and complained making it clear the filter is not the same one, but Amazon does not care about false advertising. though they DID give me my money back.

·
Registered
976 Posts
My dad used orange Fram filters exclusively and drove many a vehicle for 20 years on them...just keeping things in check here...it may make you feel better using high-end filters but at the end of the day for most folks filter choice will probably have zero bearing on car life.

·
Registered
290 Posts
A few guys opened their Purolator (which I use and like) and found the media to be torn...very scary. It's not that they had an issue, so it's a valid random sample.
I think I read this on BobTheOilGuy's site.

After seeing those failures, especially for people who do extended (over 4-5k miles)change intervals, I would not recommend buying the cheapest filters.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
A few guys opened their Purolator (which I use and like) and found the media to be torn...very scary. It's not that they had an issue, so it's a valid random sample.
I think I read this on BobTheOilGuy's site.

After seeing those failures, especially for people who do extended (over 4-5k miles)change intervals, I would not recommend buying the cheapest filters.
I believe 4-5k changes is not really extended. Look at the oils & vehicle's nowadays.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts