Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, I helped out a bit this swap before on a friends car. It was almost a plug n'play to get it running. Had a engine and tranny from a rear-ended ST and it dropped right in with the wiring harness from the ST. The mods are as followed:
-Removed plastic from front bumper and replaced with mesh
-Custom intercooler mounts
-Higher rated L/second fuel pump
-Ecu "reprogramming"

That was all that was needed to get the car running and driveable. However, gauges still needed to be installed and a few cosmetic things. Make sure to have an exhaust that fits the SE model with the ST dump pipe or you'll be cutting the rear bumper to make that center pipe clears it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So, I helped out a bit this swap before on a friends car. It was almost a plug n'play to get it running. Had a engine and tranny from a rear-ended ST and it dropped right in with the wiring harness from the ST. The mods are as followed:
-Removed plastic from front bumper and replaced with mesh
-Custom intercooler mounts
-Higher rated L/second fuel pump
-Ecu "reprogramming"

That was all that was needed to get the car running and driveable. However, gauges still needed to be installed and a few cosmetic things. Make sure to have an exhaust that fits the SE model with the ST dump pipe or you'll be cutting the rear bumper to make that center pipe clears it.
So the wiring harness plugged into the stock ecu? Who reprogrammed it, Tom?
Was the NA car a manual? Did you use factory ST intercooler and piping? Did it fit behind the NA front bumper?

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Sounds too good to be true, but hopefuly he gets more info... I may have access to a ST engine I was considering buying for a good price if they still have it...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I wouldnt get my hopes up, theres a lot of talk with mk3s, but not a lot of follow through. In the meantime if people help me fill in information about the swap maybe we can get enough to motivate someone to try.
I still have 30k left on my warranty. :)

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Yep....dude never posted again, I dont believe that it would be a plug and play

·
Registered
18 Posts
The PCM might plug and play right up, youd probably be throwing a few codes unless you were to take literally everything out of the ST engine compartment (dont quote me though) Im not sure what all sensors are on the ST motor over what your putting it into also getting the the other modules to play nice since you are modifying it into a design that is stranger (not in the bad way) than Ford intended. If your already gunna be elbows deep in a wreck ST id pull the whole Instrument Cluster out and possibly that whole harness back there and rip out any connectors youd need.
I forgot who but somebody on here has thrown ST exhuast on an SE with relative ease so i think a muffler shop wouldnt be to neccesary.
I know there are a lot of very capable minds on this site that will have ideas way better than mine but im just giving ya what i know from my experiences and others i know.
There is a lot to an engine swap like this and your bound to run into snags thatll get you ready to chuck the idea but if its something you wanting to do i say go for it and have fun doing something you enjoy
also totally didnt realize there was a second page so if anythings redundant just ignore me

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So the wiring harness plugged into the stock ecu? Who reprogrammed it, Tom?
Was the NA car a manual? Did you use factory ST intercooler and piping? Did it fit behind the NA front bumper?
So no you guys didn't scare me away. Was just working and didn't have service. As for the ECU I know it was a Haltech, but that's about it. And no to the factory intercooler and custom piping but yes we did make it fit behind the bumper with some slight mods (aka cutting) behind the plastic. Yes the car was originally a manual.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Well, if what you are saying is true, pics would be cool and lots of people are very interested in the progress.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I wouldn't imagine there would be any problems getting an intercooler behind a NA front bumper. After all, they do get the 1.6 ecoboost with the same front in europe.
Example:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326675

See page 3 for intercooler, but everything in there is cool.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I'm wondering if you can use the Foccus for the BCM. I too had a thread on this but it didn't get as active. The electronics are the hardest part.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Theyre complex and nobody has touched them yet. It will be awhike still before anything really happens with these cars ("buy an st, way easier") but long term the ti-vct engines are the best option for the focus community. Woukd love to see an NA swapped into a mk1 and then turbod

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
From what Mike at Rebel Devil has told me, hatch and Sedan ones are different. But I still want to try the swap. I made my own thread on this too. Didn't know this one was a thing. I am in the process of saving money for this swap right now

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If I can sell my other project car Im thinking of getting some junkyard gdi engines and playing around.
Youre up in Redding right?

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Chico, I'm an hour west on I-5 in a town called Willows. So you're about an hour and a half away on I-5.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts