Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 171 Posts

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
how does the pcm/tcm swap play with the info-tainment system?
I really like the idea of having the nice Sony touch screen Titanium head unit AND the correct functioning and Fun transmission.

Thanks for the help and props to you guys. The DCT is pure garbage.
As long as urs is a titanium, but if not you have to swap thw whole body harness also

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Banned
12,313 Posts

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
Does anyone have the part number for the shift tower on the mk3 manual trans? I either can't find it or I don't know what I'm looking for exactly.
Which part? The base or shifter itself?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Neither, the shift tower is the name for the shifting mech. that sticks into the transmission to change gears.

IIRC it's shown for the MkIII at the beginning section of the thread.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
Neither, the shift tower is the name for the shifting mech. that sticks into the transmission to change gears.

IIRC it's shown for the MkIII at the beginning section of the thread.
Gotcha
Thats exactly right. I can't find the part number for it or figure out how the OP got his hands on a new one.
Did the trans not come with it?

·
Registered
2016 535D
303 Posts
The shift tower is the one part that seperates the mk3 trans from the older ones. If you wanted to use a previous model trans(because they are cheaper or to get a different final drive) you would need the new shift tower.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
OP used an earlier model trans, and converted it to match MkIII cables & shift lever by swapping the shift tower.

I can't read all the numbers on the boxes he pictured, blow it up & better eyes might help.

I'd look at the FordParts.com site, and as usual for parts listings it MAY be in an odd location. Like maybe with shifter & cables instead of the transmission. Gotta be inventive in figuring out where to look, the people making the listings do NOT think like mechanics....

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Those were the only ones I could pick out, couldn't see anything on the fourth box.

It DOES always amaze me that people are fixated on getting a part number, when that could have even changed for the latest iteration. All you need to do is call/message a vendor to get the actual info..

This is a Ford part, so local or internet vendors (dealers) are the only sources beyond the junk yard.

P.S. - even Fordparts.com does NOT give you a full part number, just a reference number that's the central part of one.

·
Registered
2016 535D
303 Posts
P.S. - even Fordparts.com does NOT give you a full part number, just a reference number that's the central part of one.
This was actually incredibly helpful in figuring out Ford's numbering system and finding the part number. The first 4 digits are the generation of the car/part, the middle 4 are the internal reference number which is the same regardless of generation, and the last 2 are the current revision. I found the reference number for the old shift tower and since all of the manual transmission parts start with 'CV6Z', a quick google search gave me the current part.

For anyone who wants to use a MK1/2 transmission for this swap, you need PN# CV6Z-7201-AA.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So I finally got around to working on my swap! I dropped the Auto trans and am waiting to install the manual because I figured I could use the extra space in the engine bay to swap everything else out including the wiring harness, unfortunately I'm having issues locating a used engine wiring harness and dash wiring harness. Those 2 parts and the brake fluid reservoir from a manual car are the only parts I still need. So far i'm in around $1500 and after the harnesses and reflash from Ford I'm sure it'll be around $2k. I spent quite a bit extra to install an MFactory limited slip differential because having the MTX-75 trans out makes it too tempting lol. Wish me luck I'll keep everyone updated.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,081 Posts
You may have luck talking to Mike Johnson at RDC for your harnesses, he might have some laying around from the swap.

Shade-010 is his username on here. He gets back with you much faster on Facebook though.

Sent from the top of a tree.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I'm finishing up my DPS6 auto transmission to MTX75 manual transmission conversion and need to figure out how to wire in the 2 sensors for the clutch pedal (Clutch Pedal Position Switch and the Clutch Pedal Cruise Control Deactivator Switch). I have the following pictures I received from Mike Johnson (His help has been appreciated big time with this swap) But need to know where exactly (the pins) I need to connect the wires to in the Battery Junction box (Fuse Box) and BCM. I understand both Black/Gray Wires go to Ground but the Blue/Orange and Green/Violet ones I'm not sure. Any help is super appreciated. After I'm done wiring this up I can tow it to Ford for the PATS reset and finally drive it again!

Larger Pictures are here:
http://imgur.com/a/hZiU3

·
Registered
39 Posts
So I have 1 more question to anyone with knowledge on our PCM. I remember when I bought this car the previous owner had put in the engine from a sedan because the original engine was stolen. He advised because he had to put in the sedan motor he also had to put in a sedan PCM because the hatch PCM was causing the CEL to illuminate and it didn't run right with the hatchback PCM. I bought a hatchback MTX75 PCM for this focus forgetting that the engine came from a sedan. Do you suspect I will have the same problems with it throwing a CEL or because I changed the engine harness and BCM with a hatchback focus will it not have the issue? I dont know if the issue is the sensors on the engine itself or what was causing the CEL. The sedan PCM would never allow the rear windshield wiper to work and that is one reason I'd like to keep the hatchback PCM if possible. If I am throwing a CEL is this something a SCT XCAL tuner could fix (not just erase the code) or would I have to look into messing with FOCCUS? I'm sure it's hard to say exactly without knowing what CEL it was throwing. I believe it was due to misfiring under WOT. The only difference I know of between the Sedan and hatchback engine is that the hatchback was FLEXFUEL rated, unless I'm missing something else. Thanks for any input!
-Mark

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
So I have 1 more question to anyone with knowledge on our PCM. I remember when I bought this car the previous owner had put in the engine from a sedan because the original engine was stolen. He advised because he had to put in the sedan motor he also had to put in a sedan PCM because the hatch PCM was causing the CEL to illuminate and it didn't run right with the hatchback PCM. I bought a hatchback MTX75 PCM for this focus forgetting that the engine came from a sedan. Do you suspect I will have the same problems with it throwing a CEL or because I changed the engine harness and BCM with a hatchback focus will it not have the issue? I dont know if the issue is the sensors on the engine itself or what was causing the CEL. The sedan PCM would never allow the rear windshield wiper to work and that is one reason I'd like to keep the hatchback PCM if possible. If I am throwing a CEL is this something a SCT XCAL tuner could fix (not just erase the code) or would I have to look into messing with FOCCUS? I'm sure it's hard to say exactly without knowing what CEL it was throwing. I believe it was due to misfiring under WOT. The only difference I know of between the Sedan and hatchback engine is that the hatchback was FLEXFUEL rated, unless I'm missing something else. Thanks for any input!
-Mark
Hatch vs manual pcm doesn't matter, the BCM is what specifies what body you have

·
Registered
567 Posts
All I can say is that I really really really wish this had been an option when my DCT allegedly broke first gear.

Would have been half the cost of having my DCT transmission replaced.

81 - 100 of 171 Posts