Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus SE Sedan 5spd Manual
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone has found good bright LED lights to replace the dull H1 and H11 halogens? Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Built in CANBUS Error free. I know it is possible for the front and rear turn signals because I have a set of 4 currently in my car. Unless its some sort of wizardry that allows it to only be possible for the turn signals, I have to assume they exist somewhere. I do not want the hassle of ballasts/resistors and where to hide them in the headlight assembly. And unless there is a better option on Forscan, I don't want to see bulb fault every time my headlights turn on. I've tried "Not configured", Bi-Xenon, and Level 3. They all give the same error, but they at least allow the bulbs to stay on.
2. Need to be pretty bright but not obnoxiously bright, I don't want to blind oncoming motorists.
3. Adjustable angles and bi directional (not 360°) for the same reason as #2.
4. Fit in the stock headlight assembly with no modifications including cutting or splicing wires, cutting or filing plastic, and I want to put the dust covers on.

I imagine the H11 will be the easiest to find since we have the craziest H1 bracket I've ever seen. I'm hoping someone out there has done it and can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Be sure to check with your local laws first before changing your bulbs to LED. There are states that will not pass your vehicle after inspection. LED bulbs are not legally compliant under DOT regulations. However, I can recommend Diode Dynamics SL1. They may cost a pretty penny, but they are worth it. They can just fit in the stock headlight housing, but the Focus does require an anti-flickering module (an extra cost) in order to avoid intermittent flickering when the headlights stay on for a period of time. That happened to my car until I installed the necessary modules. However, I am not sure if these bulbs apply to your third requirement.

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Would you guys ever consider those ones found on Amazon such as these?

SEALIGHT H11 H8 H9 LED Headlight Bulbs, Low Beam LED Bulbs/Fog Light, 6000K Bright White, Halogen Replacement, Quick Installation SEALIGHT H11 H8 H9 LED Headlight Bulbs, Low Beam LED Bulbs/Fog Light, 6000K Bright White, Halogen Replacement, Quick Installation, Headlight Bulbs - Amazon Canada

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Under certain circumstances. Be sure to read reviews. Not all LEDs stay close to the original beam pattern.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been down this route somewhat and honestly unless you absolutely need to have LEDs for the look, I'd just put in a better halogen globe. I use Osram Night Breakers and they definitely put out more light, further, and in a whiter tone so it would still look better than the standard globes but also be fully legally compliant.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus SE Sedan 5spd Manual
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in Florida so there are no inspections to worry about. I don't want to modify the headlight assembly or wiring in the event I need to revert it to stock again if I move to another state.

Here's where I'm at currently: Hikari 10000 lumin 6K Cool White H11 for low beam on Amazon. Changed headlights in Forscan so that while I still get the bulb fault warning chime (no info light), the lights stay on and don't flicker or cause radio intereference. The warning chime is mildly annoying, but for now I will live with it (it only happens when the lights first turn on). The beam pattern isn't too bad, you just have to adjust the LEDs to get as close as possible. I'm happy with the pattern and it doesn't blind other motorists. I tried a couple different H1 high beams but one I couldn't use the stock clip in the headlight assembly (Hikari H1) and the other was less bright than my stock low beams. So I'm just going to run Halogen for my highs until LED technology advances far enough that I can easily find what I'm looking for (I'm sure it already exists somewhere, but I'm too lazy and on a tight budget). I'm installing a lightbar (for offroad use only) to use where I really need to cut through the darkness. If anyone wants, I can make a thread on that.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I will have a look after work today or tomorrow. Please keep the H1 high beam suggestions coming, I will continue to look at them as long as they are LED or bright halogen and do not required modification of the headlight assembly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.