Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 668 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Why do I care? Because I'm considering buying another Mk3 if I don't buy an RS. That, or an SVT.

I guess I could ask why you care because your profile says you don't drive a Mk3 either. But honestly, it's an open forum so I don't really care why or if you care.
because my wife is close to getting a new car and we are looking at a MK3 hatch now.

she misses the 1JZ Chaser Tourer V we had in Japan, so i figured a cheap MK3 with a small turbo would be good for her. the hatch is a great utility car for long trips and a small turbo kit would give her exceptional passing power and MPG.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
DEADPOOL - when Dyno takes the time to write up a reasoned post that really can't be taken as an "attack" on anyone IMHO, there's no reason to continue an argument that doesn't apply.

We could discuss what the answers might be to his questions (some info. already posted) by conjecture, comment on whether the specific list fits this type "kit" piece by piece, etc.. But not question whether he can post or why he might care - that's the type of tactless it would be nice to avoid on all sides.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm about to report you for attacking other members. He can post in here as he had one and probably knows about the platform more than you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using FF Mobile
you could report me for attacking another member, but asking a legit question is not attacking. i "COULD" attack you for this type of harassment that you are showing me. but honestly you are not worth the insult.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
you could report me for attacking another member, but asking a legit question is not attacking. i "COULD" attack you for this type of harassment that you are showing me. but honestly you are not worth the insult.
Well hey that's okay. Probably wouldn't have been a good insult anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
im deadpool, when are my high-jinks not funny?
No no no, you are a wannabe Deadpool on the internet. Deadpool would not waste his time arguing with someone as to why they are on a public forum asking genuine questions about a turbo kit. You are giving actual Deadpool a bad image.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Duane - not a bad list to get folks thinking, even for a quick sample of questions that might have interest.

I'm not going to nit-pick at it with comments, particularly since some are yet to have answers.

Assumptions could be made, particularly at the price point, but most looking need to learn more about the options and their utility/cost to be better versed on the subject. Learning more never hurts, even if it might not apply to them currently.

It would be nice to have that complete level of information, haven't seen it applied to that degree in any kits outside the new ST. Could often have used more, some of that info. on prev. offerings came from owners/competitors as offerings were compared.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
-What are the power goals of the kit?
-What size/brand is the turbo?
-What size/brand is the FMIC?
-Bar and plate or tube and fin core?
-Who makes the FMIC tubing?
-What size is the tubing and couplers?
-What kind of clamps come with the kit?
-What modifications need to be done in order to fit it or is it a direct bolt-on (strictly in the physical sense)?
-What is not included in the kit that will have to be purchased?
Some good questions for sure, however anyone even thinking of a turbo kit has some responsibility to educate themselves on how turbos work....many kits do not tell you what else you need, they don't usually come with any gauges for example..do you need them, well no, you can run without them SHOULD you have them, well yes so you know whats going on with your engine... boost gauge, wideband afr, egt, etc.... brakes, theres something that should be upgraded if it were me...boost controller possibly, injectors, fuel system upgrades, adjustible fuel pressure regulator, the list goes on and on.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Duane - not a bad list to get folks thinking, even for a quick sample of questions that might have interest.

I'm not going to nit-pick at it with comments, particularly since some are yet to have answers.

Assumptions could be made, particularly at the price point, but most looking need to learn more about the options and their utility/cost to be better versed on the subject. Learning more never hurts, even if it might not apply to them currently.

It would be nice to have that complete level of information, haven't seen it applied to that degree in any kits outside the new ST. Could often have used more, some of that info. on prev. offerings came from owners/competitors as offerings were compared.
It was relatively similar in the ST communities in the beginning-a lot of partial or incomplete information. Fortunately for the community, there were some significantly-smarter-than-I members that tore into the information (or lack of, when applicable) in order to be able to more accurately get an idea of the kits or to push for better components. That and the added competition of having multiple manufacturers/vendors really helped to step-up the offerings and speed up the timetable.

This is how things evolve in all communities. People should understand that and get past the constant name-calling and simply keep trying to learn and press for more evolution. Keep pushing until there's a limit or until something breaks, then find a fix and push some more.

The FoST has only recently gone over 500whp and the FiST is only down to 11.6-second 1/4 miles. There is still a ton of research and development going on in those two platforms. It doesn't change the fact that both platforms all had to start at some point in time, just like this one is.

·
Registered
351 Posts
No no no, you are a wannabe Deadpool on the internet. Deadpool would not waste his time arguing with someone as to why they are on a public forum asking genuine questions about a turbo kit. You are giving actual Deadpool a bad image.

actually that is exactly what deadpool would do on the internet,lol.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Why do I care? Because I'm considering buying another Mk3 if I don't buy an RS. That, or an SVT.

I guess I could ask why you care because your profile says you don't drive a Mk3 either. But honestly, it's an open forum so I don't really care why or if you care.
my friend says he met you in person and that you are a good guy. ill let it be.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
Anyway, back to the car talk. I would like to have some of my questions answered. Mainly the compression ratio one.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Some good questions for sure, however anyone even thinking of a turbo kit has some responsibility to educate themselves on how turbos work....many kits do not tell you what else you need, they don't usually come with any gauges for example..do you need them, well no, you can run without them SHOULD you have them, well yes so you know whats going on with your engine... boost gauge, wideband afr, egt, etc.... brakes, theres something that should be upgraded if it were me...boost controller possibly, injectors, fuel system upgrades, adjustible fuel pressure regulator, the list goes on and on.
Which is why I didn't expound on my list further-if the basics are unknown then the rest is irrelevant. Unfortunately, most members would rather try and fight with me than try to support data and information collection that would be more to their benefit than my own, currently. Expecting someone to educate themselves is a fun thought but, realistically, there is far too much for the average person to instantly spool-up on and understand in any reasonable timeframe.

Why not let the members that have experience ask pertinent questions, whether you realize they're pertinent or not, and question why they can't be answered as opposed to why they are being asked? That's part of how I started learning.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
dyn085, it's all in the delivery, sometimes you come across as aggressive and negative, maybe you don't mean to, but it comes off that way. I do this too sometimes, lose patience with people that don't have any clue what they are talking about.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
Duane is very aware of his internet handicap lol

·
FF Affiliate
30,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Anyway, back to the car talk. I would like to have some of my questions answered. Mainly the compression ratio one.

I f you have questions I have no problem answering them , come up with your own questions and go to where this was moved to and I will be glad to answer them
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/focus-power-tuning/644994-mkiii-full-turbo-kit-pictures-focus-power.html
I didnt have this moved to avoid questions , I had it moved so I could control all the BS from the same people that start things over and over again , I have nothing to hide

Keep in mind the Full Kit as well as the DIY MK3 Kit are in there early stages and only time will tell what the engine will do , the turbo kit parts I am not worried about holding up or doing there job

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
EPA Clarifies its Position on Race Cars, Internet Freaks Out - The Drive

An updated bulletin sent to mechanics in 1993, after amendments were made to the Clean Air Act in 1990, advised wrenches that installing a turbocharger on an engine that hadn’t been EPA-certified with a turbocharger was also illegal.
Any modification that changes the intake or Exh on your engine is illegal if you get right down to it , even changing to a larger turbo , tuning your stock turbo its all illegal
From your link "It has been illegal to modify any emissions equipment on any engine sold for road-legal use in the US since the Clean Air Act was amended in 1977. It’s called “tampering,” and in a bulletin that the EPA sent to mechanics in 1980, it’s defined as, “removing, disconnecting, damaging, or in any way rendering ineffective any emission control device or element installed on a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine "

Many dont know but the stock air box and intake is part of the "emission equipment " and by dong a cold air intake your doing it illegally

This is exactly why I moved the Turbo stuff to my section , you only mentioned " changing turbo was illegal " in the section where I am doing/selling turbo kits , it was a pot shot , you will come back and say you didnt mean anything by it yet its there and why I wont allow you in the focus-power section to take more potshots

Tom

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
That's why you see disclaimers "for off-road use only "

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 668 Posts