Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 668 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
This thread went South so damn fast. If I buy anything as expensive as a turbo kit (any turbo kit) I want to know something about the performance and durability of said kit. The path to that is an open and honest discussion (free of loaded questions and short answers between folks with a history). I thought that's part of what this (or any) enthusiast's forum was all about. Shuffling this subject off to where it can be censored is a sure-fired way of counting me out.
Not being censored.

Just with a little more control from those who take shots without merit.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
This thread went South so damn fast. If I buy anything as expensive as a turbo kit (any turbo kit) I want to know something about the performance and durability of said kit. The path to that is an open and honest discussion (free of loaded questions and short answers between folks with a history). I thought that's part of what this (or any) enthusiast's forum was all about. Shuffling this subject off to where it can be censored is a sure-fired way of counting me out.
Yeah but Dyn085 went in and starting picking a fight right off the bat, of course Tom will reveal more details about the kit...but people have to realize a kit will have components to do the job but if someone wants the BEST of everything, you are not getting that for $5K.

·
FF Affiliate
30,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Your welcome to ask and questions and get all the info you want to know where it was moved to , It was moved to keep haters from messing up the thread , only censorship will be done is from the haters , there is plenty of other that can ask questions about turbo kits and what and how there doing
If your truly interested and want the info just participate in the discussion where it was moved to

Tom

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Yeah but Dyn085 went in and starting picking a fight right off the bat, of course Tom will reveal more details about the kit...but people have to realize a kit will have components to do the job but if someone wants the BEST of everything, you are not getting that for $5K.
NO, no one was picking a fight. It's people like you that really make this forum look bad. Dyn085 was asking questions and valid ones. He even explained himself too. People obviously can't pick up on that. The details on this kit are very limited and everyone wants to know details before they go and buy something this big. Even if they don't buy it, what's it to ya?

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Not being censored.

Just with a little more control from those who take shots without merit.
No one was taking shots. You are the one that called Dyn085 a dick.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Everyone wants some details about the kit--information I figured Tom would post as time and testing permitted. Personnally I'm interested in the performance and some insight into how long the thing will last.

On a side note, I hope people are fully aware that this kit has to be affordable for Tom to develop (money he spends up front without a guarantee of recouping). AND affordable for most of us to buy. Methinks none of us are Donalds.

Thanks Tom just edited this after reading your post above.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
No one was taking shots.
Why cant people say, "thats cool Tom, thanks for developing and making what looks to be a nice turbo kit when NO ONE else was interested or just told us NA guys to GO BUY AN ST, IDIOT, you've done a great thing for the MK3 community" and then start trying to get more details, instead of picking him apart right off the bat...theres a lot of dick heads here and I dont how Tom puts up with them. Official dyno numbers will come in time I'm sure, details on the parts as well, the kit is still in its infancy stages.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
No one was taking shots. You are the one that called Dyn085 a dick.
No, he said "You did word it in kind of a dick way"....

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Why cant people say, "thats cool Tom, thanks for developing and making what looks to be a nice turbo kit when NO ONE else was interested or just told us NA guys to GO BUY AN ST, IDIOT, you've done a great thing for the MK3 community" and then start trying to get more details, instead of picking him apart right off the bat...theres a lot of dick heads here and I dont how Tom puts up with them. Official dyno numbers will come in time I'm sure, details on the parts as well, the kit is still in its infancy stages.
There have FI been kits made before. Roush made a supercharger kit, and Vaccar made a turbo kit. No info was ever given. So, there is a reason people are asking questions. There is a reason EVERYONE wants to know details. The kit may be in its infancy stages, but people asking about the parts themselves should not be taken as hating or as "picking him apart."

Remember it takes a dick and as***** to know one. One finger pointing forward, three coming right back at ya.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
It's people like you that really make this forum look bad.
Really? Do we need to go back over your history here? [popcorn]

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Really? Do we need to go back over your history here? [popcorn]
Says the one who was part of that history. You are doing exactly what Tom doesn't want.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
There have FI been kits made before. Roush made a supercharger kit, and Vaccar made a turbo kit.
What kind of vaporware are you talking about, were these commercially available kits?, as far as I know, no.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Says the one who was part of that history. You are doing exactly what Tom doesn't want.
Can we at least agree its a cool thing to have a full turbo available, and Toms done a good thing here? [headbang]

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Tom, I have some legitimate questions. The turbo kit, if I wanted to swap pistons to lower compression, what compression ratio would be smart to go with? Also, bigger injectors would be smart to go with, do you think ST ones would be sufficient? Another question would be, which turbos would you recommend for the DIY kit?

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Seems how people want to constantly think I'm antagonizing people when I ask questions, I'll just think aloud here.

If I were interested in purchasing a turbo kit, this is some of the information I would want to know before making a decision:

-What are the power goals of the kit?
-What size/brand is the turbo?
-What size/brand is the FMIC?
-Bar and plate or tube and fin core?
-Who makes the FMIC tubing?
-What size is the tubing and couplers?
-What kind of clamps come with the kit?
-What modifications need to be done in order to fit it or is it a direct bolt-on (strictly in the physical sense)?
-What is not included in the kit that will have to be purchased?

And so on. There are plenty of other questions that might or might not follow-on based on the answers, but there's no real point in dragging them out in such a preliminary discussion. Generally speaking, most kits will provide the majority of this information up front along with follow-on information (room for growth, limiting components, etc) and most vendors/manufacturers will be willing to answer or find the answer to related questions that aren't already specifically covered if they can.

This isn't rocket-science and this same general discussion occurs over on the ST forums, just to a much more technical degree because most people are already well-versed in turbocharged engines and components. And the reason it gets so technical in the ST community is because a big-turbo setup is pretty expensive in the grand-scheme of things and people want to know exactly what they're getting into before laying down that kind of cash. In fact, specifically because of these types of discussions, many vendors offer options that weren't originally intended and are able to secure broader sections of the market. A lot of money moves around in the ST community and the more that a vendor can grab, the better their business can do.

Some people will still consider this to be nonsense but if they don't need information before outlaying their money then that's their prerogative. Don't get mad when I ask about technical (even though asking for the manufacturer isn't nearly a difficult 'technical' question) information because I'm an aircraft mechanic and my entire day is spent analyzing technical data so it naturally translates into my life outside of work. There was a time that people actually wanted legitimate data but I feel as though many have gone the way of the FiST and are just so desperate that they are completely disregarding their common sense and any form of rational thought.

Tl;dr-Tacos.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3, 2005 ZX5
363 Posts
I highly doubt they would put forged rods and pistons in a massed produced economy car. There is no need for them based on what the car is supposed to do.
regardless of production en mass vs specialty cars. all pistons now are "FORGED" they are press forged from an aluminum slug and carved down into spec then heat treated and tempered to spec. forging is not what you should worry about. its the silicone content that you should worry about in today's automotive world. without proper tuning even forged pistons can crack under bad circumstances.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I'm not worried about them being forged or not. Someone else asked. I'm more worried about the compression ratio and trying to get more boost.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 ZX3, 2005 ZX5
363 Posts
Seems how people want to constantly think I'm antagonizing people when I ask questions, I'll just think aloud here.

If I were interested in purchasing a turbo kit, this is some of the information I would want to know before making a decision:

-What are the power goals of the kit?
-What size/brand is the turbo?
-What size/brand is the FMIC?
-Bar and plate or tube and fin core?
-Who makes the FMIC tubing?
-What size is the tubing and couplers?
-What kind of clamps come with the kit?
-What modifications need to be done in order to fit it or is it a direct bolt-on (strictly in the physical sense)?
-What is not included in the kit that will have to be purchased?

And so on. There are plenty of other questions that might or might not follow-on based on the answers, but there's no real point in dragging them out in such a preliminary discussion. Generally speaking, most kits will provide the majority of this information up front along with follow-on information (room for growth, limiting components, etc) and most vendors/manufacturers will be willing to answer or find the answer to related questions that aren't already specifically covered if they can.

This isn't rocket-science and this same general discussion occurs over on the ST forums, just to a much more technical degree because most people are already well-versed in turbocharged engines and components. And the reason it gets so technical in the ST community is because a big-turbo setup is pretty expensive in the grand-scheme of things and people want to know exactly what they're getting into before laying down that kind of cash. In fact, specifically because of these types of discussions, many vendors offer options that weren't originally intended and are able to secure broader sections of the market. A lot of money moves around in the ST community and the more that a vendor can grab, the better their business can do.

Some people will still consider this to be nonsense but if they don't need information before outlaying their money then that's their prerogative. Don't get mad when I ask about technical (even though asking for the manufacturer isn't nearly a difficult 'technical' question) information because I'm an aircraft mechanic and my entire day is spent analyzing technical data so it naturally translates into my life outside of work. There was a time that people actually wanted legitimate data but I feel as though many have gone the way of the FiST and are just so desperate that they are completely disregarding their common sense and any form of rational thought.

Tl;dr-Tacos.
why do you even care? you dont have a NA focus. your posts are aggressive and tactless.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
why do you even care? you dont have a NA focus. your posts are aggressive and tactless.
I'm about to report you for attacking other members. He can post in here as he had one and probably knows about the platform more than you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Why do I care? Because I'm considering buying another Mk3 if I don't buy an RS. That, or an SVT.

I guess I could ask why you care because your profile says you don't drive a Mk3 either. But honestly, it's an open forum so I don't really care why or if you care.

41 - 60 of 668 Posts