Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told my New Ford Focus MK3 which I have on order is delayed at the factory, since it has been switched from a 2011 model year to a 2012 model year.

This is also mentioned in the small print of the offer on the official Ford website here: http://www.ford.co.uk/CurrentPromo/CarPromotions/Focus

Anyone know what the difference will be between the two? I'm assuming some difference otherwise why a different model year and why the delay?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have no idea about what you're asking about, but damn reading actual British English is like reading a foreign language....lol

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Since your in Europe and I am in America, I can't say that I am 100% sure but if it was the same in Europe as here, the 2011 model year (notice that model years are different than calender years) are Mk2 Foci while the 2012 model years start the Mk3 versions.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Since your in Europe and I am in America, I can't say that I am 100% sure but if it was the same in Europe as here, the 2011 model year (notice that model years are different than calender years) are Mk2 Foci while the 2012 model years start the Mk3 versions.
INCORRECT.
For the Brits and Europe, the Focus they had in 2011 was the one the USA did not get until the 2012 year model
So for the British, the difference will be partly the model year (important when reselling the car, and perhaps a few features changed a bit.
And BTW The The Queen's English IS ENGLISH. The gibberish we yammer over here in the States is only a tattered echo of the great English language. [hihi]

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I've been told my New Ford Focus MK3 which I have on order is delayed at the factory, since it has been switched from a 2011 model year to a 2012 model year.

This is also mentioned in the small print of the offer on the official Ford website here: http://www.ford.co.uk/CurrentPromo/CarPromotions/Focus

Anyone know what the difference will be between the two? I'm assuming some difference otherwise why a different model year and why the delay?
As I understand the in UK car market , the model year is designated in March and then in September it is a plate #
For example with the new Focus , in March 2011 the Focus is a model year 2011, then in September you add 2011+ 50 to get plate number 61, then model year 2012 will begin March 2012.

I think in your case the timing of your order falls into the switch for plate #61, when some changes happen, such as this new trim level offering of the Focus Studio. I am sure your salesperson can find out what other changes are coming for plate #61, such as
First application PowerShift automatic with dual dry-clutch technology on Focus 1.6-litre 125PS petrol made available in most European markets from late summer 2011.
This is the same dry clutch Powershift that has been used in the North American Fiesta and new Focus. Not to be confused with the wet clutch Powershift used in the Ford Europe vehicles.

I find that Ford Europe is constantly offering new things throughout a model year vehicle in the different countries markets. Always something being tweaked or offered, be it special editions, new features, new paint colours/colors, added standard features etc.

Here is a link explaining this confusing model year and plate # system, which makes little sense to me, but like many things in the UK are done a little different.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/articles/2011/08/cars/complete-guide-to-numbeplates

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help so far. I have a titanium X on order (18 inch 5 spoke alloys 5d hatch in ink blue 2.0 163bhp diesel). Ford dealer said no change but I don't believe this otherwise why the delay and why give it different model year? Anyone any ideas?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Thanks for the help so far. I have a titanium X on order (18 inch 5 spoke alloys 5d hatch in ink blue 2.0 163bhp diesel). Ford dealer said no change but I don't believe this otherwise why the delay and why give it different model year? Anyone any ideas?
Nice choice on the Titanium X with the great 2.0l TDCi 163hp, this engine is a beauty!!

So are you saying your sales rep is calling the plate 61 Focus a model year 2012[???:)]
This is the only info from Ford media with details on changes for plate 61 Ford vehicles in the UK
http://media.ford.com/news/latestfordrangesettoleadnew61-platesales.htm

I have asked Ford UK your question and will forward their answer when I receive anything.

Here in Estonia it is still model year 2011.

BTW the new Focus production date was identical both at Michigan Assembly USA and Saarlouis Germany, but in North America as Model Year 2012
and in Europe Model Year 2011.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
The answers I received from Ford UK (see below) do not match what your salesperson has been reporting to you.

Question I asked to Ford UK

Question - Can you say what changes to the Ford Focus happened September 01,2011

Answer - Sept 1 saw Introduction of Focus Studio and powershift on 1.6 125PS petrol.

Question - if factory ordering Focus now (September) in the UK is there a delay because of this mentioned production timetable for Plate 61

Answer - there were no production changes affecting Titanium X effective Sept 1. Hope that helps

Question - Is the Focus produced September 2011 onwards a Model Year 2012.

Answer - the build date determines model year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks for your efforts - much appreciated...

Still a little confusing though - seems there is just a general delay in production, and the "Model Year" is a bit of a red herring...

I ordered the car mid June and am now being told it will not be ready until November at earliest!!

The reason I do not ask these questions directly to Ford myself is that this is a company car, and I do not have any contact with the dealer - only with the lease company who pass on the messages.

Here is what I've been told so far...:

"Just checked the Ford updating system and the vehicle states a projected build month of October - we have no confirmed build date as yet. The reason for the sudden change is because Ford have now changed this from a 2011 to a 2012 model year vehicle - this has pushed the build date back

We have been speaking with Ford about this. They have explained that the vehicle will have no visual changes but will be classed as a model year 2012.

All factory builds have been taken out of the order bank on the Ford system and have been input back in showing the 2012 model year. This has caused a back log of builds in the system."

Guess I'll just have to be patient - I was hoping there'd at least be some tweaks to the spec if the model year changed - it would have made the delay more worthwhile.... Just seems like they can't make them fast enough to meet demand, or some other issue at the factory...

·
Registered
533 Posts

Deleted
Chris

·
Registered
533 Posts

Hi, , means that after 1st sept you can order different options. One I've heard that is now available is the Sony Sat Nav, possibly with a rear view camera. This will be similar to the sat nav in the C-Max.
Quote taken for a Uk Focus forum:
"This is in response to my enquiry from the sales guy at my local Ford dealers:

"My apologies the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) was missing and is an additional £750. With regards to the navigation system it would be the Sony Navigation with 9 speakers, Bluetooth, USB and a 5” colour screen – this is on all Focus factory orders after the 1st September (2012MY) the one on the website will be for the current 2011MY."

You are asking a question about UK cars in a US forum, makes it difficult for them to actually know...
Chris

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Grrr now i am (slightly) annoyed we here in the USA cannot get the Diesel!!
The torquer would really be lovely with a manual tranny!
Though as i ignore the shift light, and just drive.. i am getting to like my motor.
All i need is a little more engine purr (noise) to shift by ear and i will be happy.
One thing i have learned from reading "AutoCar" magazine is in great Britian the plate stays with the car it's whole life. So it you want a posh plate go to the area they are sold and buy the car, then your posh plate number stays with you wherever you roam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
– this is on all Focus factory orders after the 1st September (2012MY) the one on the website will be for the current 2011MY."

You are asking a question about UK cars in a US forum, makes it difficult for them to actually know...
Chris
Thanks - I was wondering if there would be at least some changes. 1) I'd like the option of having a look at the new options available and 2) I'd like to know if the spec of my car will be improved.

Can you recommend a UK forum where I could ask these questions? Thanks to all for your help so far...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks - I was wondering if there would be at least some changes. 1) I'd like the option of having a look at the new options available and 2) I'd like to know if the spec of my car will be improved.

Can you recommend a UK forum where I could ask these questions? Thanks to all for your help so far...
Hi, well the two I subcribe too are http://www.talkford.com/forum/206-ford-focus-mk3-forum/ and http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/forum/2-ford-focus-club/ there appears to be a salesperson contributing to the latter one. I think though they even find it difficult to understand all the options available at the time of ordering as they are all listed but some can't be ticked, seems like Ford then open them at intervals up to choose.
Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts