Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 2014 focus last week. SGM SE HB, 5 speed, Sport pkg, Sirus, Back-up Warning. Got a fair deal, $15,877. 20,500 Sticker. Could have got a lower price but dealer had to find me the Color, transmission and Sport Pkg. Did a swap with a dealer 150 miles away.
Just sold my 2006 ZX3 SE 5 spd to my daughter. What a fantastic car, 88,900 miles, original brakes, never in the shop. All it ever took was tires, alignment and a new battery. Glad to keep it in the family.
The 2014 is very different, much quieter, feels more solid. Not sure if that is a good thing. Seems a little disconnected from the road compared to the MK1. So far I am still breaking it in so don't have feel for the power, but the direct injection 2.0 seems to have less low end torque than the previous motor. Find myself running in a lower gear at low speeds.
Enjoying the sync, and the radio. Still trying to find my perfect seating position. Impressed with the roominess. I always fold the rear seat flat. More space in back, maybe slightly lower roof line than the ZX3.
I drove a ST1, very nice, but at 4k more expensive, with the lower mileage glad I went with the SE. Plus I need a hitch with clearance. Need to be able to carry deer,cooler, water on the back.
Couple of issues so far. Paint is rough on bottom of hatch, dealer will be repairing.
And I have a annoying rattle underneath when starting out in first, or in reverse. Not sure if it is a shield or something with the clutch. Does not feel like a MM as not felling or seeing any vibration. Any one else with a manual hearing this?

·
Registered
38 Posts
After driving my Mk3 5-spd and then getting into my 2001 5-spd, the older one feels so much better down low too, and its an SPI motor lol. But a much better car all around.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Quite a few of the members here have had their cars "tuned" to correct that low end torque. A tune will smooth out the power band, such that smooth acceleration from 1st thru 5th is a reality.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll look into the tune. Have to see if any affect on mileage. Getting used to it. Breaking it in easy, can't wait to wind it out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have no complaints about my 2014 Focus SE HB. No issue at all with the auto DCT trans so far, only 2 little minor problems. One was I had the dealer replace the plastic trim in the rear hatch where a plastic peg broke off that the carpeted trunk cover pivots on and a slight squeak in my drivers seat....

The dealer had to order a new seat frame as they discovered it had a bad weld from the factory.... Never experienced that before.... Other than those two little tibits, the trans shifts very nice, no stutter at all and its a very enjoyable car to drive in...

·
Registered
324 Posts
I too recently bought a 2014 focus. I also had the same first impression. This forum has given me the tools to take care of these issues inexpensively.

The snorkel delete mod with the drop in filter mod really helped the low end on this engine without a tune and a simple rear engine mount insert from fsworks gave me a more connected feel. Got the K&N filter used on this forum so the total for these mods was under 50 bucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts