Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally located the nasty rattle in my dash on my 2016 Focus. While driving over harsh roads I’m able to place my hand on the dash close to the windshield and quiet the rattle. Back home in my garage I can lightly tap the panel and it hits something underneath it. It seems to move only a tiny amount but enough to rattle on a road.

I pulled the glove-box and there is no way to actually touch the loose panel from below the dash. Something large and plastic is blocking the whole area. Maybe it’s the dash defroster unit. I don’t see anyway to remove the piece that rattles without pulling the whole dash. I even pulled the stereo/ac/heat unit apart and still couldn’t get to it.

Anybody had the problem and found a fix?

While I had everything pulled out I used foam tape and foam pieces to isolated anything that move, rubbed or rattles. Amazing all of the air ducts and panels that can be loose.

Thanks in advance

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,484 Posts
I think there's a good chance that it's the defroster duct itself. It may not be secured properly.
I think that you're right that you'd likely have to take out a significant portion of the dash components or the dash itself to get to it though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was tapping on it some more and found that the defroster vent/outlet has a bow in it. Maybe the summer sun has warped it. Pressing on it quiets the rattle down a little. I'll see if I can wedge some felt in the crack.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stuffed multible felt strips into the spaces between the dash and defroster and it made the rattle worst. I tried different thickness and lengths but nothing worked. The rattle only stops if the dash is pressed onto.

I had a small plastic pipe laying around that I wrapped in felt and crammed it in the space between the windshiled and dash sensor.

Butt ugly, but it works for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,484 Posts
If it bothered you that much then I guess it'll work lol. Going thru the trouble of covering it in black felt at least makes it blend in a bit.
Note that partially covering the light sensor will affect the auto headlight function and perhaps another convenience feature or two that depend on it. It shouldn't render it inoperable but it may not come on until it gets darker outside if you use the automatic lights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts