Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Not worried about boost creep with the exhaust flow directed so heavily at the turbo, not wastegate?

Can't tell how the center ports are directed... that could be the saving grace for that question.

·
FF Affiliate
30,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Not worried about boost creep with the exhaust flow directed so heavily at the turbo, not wastegate?

Can't tell how the center ports are directed... that could be the saving grace for that question.
Not seeing any boost creep issues at all , WG only controls PSI not flow so shouldnt be any issues , If anything I think the larger hole then the custom manifold I made will help control boost more stable as it gets higher in boost

I am going to offer this both in 2 bolt conventional and v-band waste gate

Tom

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Not seeing any boost creep issues at all , WG only controls PSI not flow so shouldnt be any issues , If anything I think the larger hole then the custom manifold I made will help control boost more stable as it gets higher in boost

Tom
That's not very well worded, I know you know that the wastegate controls boost levels by rerouting exhaust pressure.

The higher the HP of the car, the worse the situation gets when it comes to boost creep. This manifold has a centralized port, so it *should* work out ok. These ST guys inquiring are looking to move to this manifold to make more than the headifold can handle, that's 500whp+. Time will tell I guess.

For those who want to educate yourselves on what I'm talking about, go here:
https://innovativetuning.com/boost-creep-definition-causes-solutions/

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

I am going to offer this both in 2 bolt conventional and v-band waste gate

Tom
Higher boost? How much boost are you looking for on a NA MK3? They aren't gonna pull no 30psi.
Read the thread before commenting please.
Don't be a ****, please.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Getting a few ST guys emailing me about this manifold as well for the ford racing ST head , interesting

Tom
Slo86GT said:
The higher the HP of the car, the worse the situation gets when it comes to boost creep. This manifold has a centralized port, so it *should* work out ok. These ST guys inquiring are looking to move to this manifold to make more than the headifold can handle, that's 500whp+. Time will tell I guess.
Don't be a ****, please.

Don't be an ignorant smartass, please.

·
FF Affiliate
30,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
LOL dang guys chill , There was a lot of thought put into this manifold and in my opinion it will support 200 to 750+ hp , spool good , control heat etc

Only time will tell if I am right , the Previous SPA Zetec Manifold has worked for many years , never had one crack and they fit well , spool good etc

Tom

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Tom, dumb question perhaps, but could this manifold be used with a stock ST turbo, or a adapter used to connect them? I was researching a hybrid engine with ST head and NA block but it's looking like motor would have to pulled to do that, so now Im thinking of running a poor mans turbo setup and then down the road, upgrading the turbo

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
No way no how. The headifold-fed extended turbine housing on the ST turbo is integral to the unit and would have to be replaced. This expense would cost more than it's worth. Just buy a good manifold like Tom's and a standard inlet/outlet turbo in the size you'd want to end up with from the getgo.

This elephant trunk looking POS right here...

·
FF Affiliate
30,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Tom, dumb question perhaps, but could this manifold be used with a stock ST turbo, or a adapter used to connect them? I was researching a hybrid engine with ST head and NA block but it's looking like motor would have to pulled to do that, so now Im thinking of running a poor mans turbo setup and then down the road, upgrading the turbo
With enough time , know how and money anything can be done but it would be MUCH easier and better to do a better Turbo

In my opinion the ST Turbo is way undersized

Tom

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
No way no how. The headifold-fed extended turbine housing on the ST turbo is integral to the unit and would have to be replaced. This expense would cost more than it's worth. Just buy a good manifold like Tom's and a standard inlet/outlet turbo in the size you'd want to end up with from the getgo.

This elephant trunk looking POS right here...
How is the headifold going into that so much different then a log style or header style going into that, it's still just exhaust gasses...I already have that elephant as you put it, as well as a bunch of other ST parts I aquired for very cheap so I am looking at trying a turbo system..is the stock ST turbo the best choice, of course not but with a better downpipe and other mods, and good tuning it can be a lot better...on the NA motor it's going to running a lot less boost and tuning will have to be spot-on.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
How is the headifold going into that so much different then a log style or header style going into that, it's still just exhaust gasses...I already have that elephant as you put it, as well as a bunch of other ST parts I aquired for very cheap so I am looking at trying a turbo system..is the stock ST turbo the best choice, of course not but with a better downpipe and other mods, and good tuning it can be a lot better...on the NA motor it's going to running a lot less boost and tuning will have to be spot-on.
How are you going to attach the ST turbo to the NA block? [screwy]

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
How are you going to attach the ST turbo to the NA block? [screwy]

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/images/Services/EFRTurboInstalled.jpg
ZOMG I BAWT A ST TURBSKI AND IT WILL BE AWSUM!

(hint, when the turbo makes 225whp at 21psi in factory trim, at the 6-8 psi on an N/A car, it won't move as much air as NOT having it in there, restricting your exhaust and making everything more hot and convoluted)

...Kids don't care or understand. I'm wasting my breath.

·
Registered
294 Posts
ZOMG I BAWT A ST TURBSKI AND IT WILL BE AWSUM!

(hint, when the turbo makes 225whp at 21psi in factory trim, at the 6-8 psi on an N/A car, it won't move as much air as NOT having it in there, restricting your exhaust and making everything more hot and convoluted)

...Kids don't care or understand. I'm wasting my breath.
Except that the NA has a much better head and way more compression. It won't be as good as Tom's kit but it could be a cheap sloppy solution. If you have any fabrication skills it would be an option.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Except that the NA has a much better head and way more compression. It won't be as good as Tom's kit but it could be a cheap sloppy solution. If you have any fabrication skills it would be an option.
Making this even more ridiculous, as the head is not the major restriction on the ST either! It's the TURBO.

Zero chance his downfacing manifold with work with the ST turbo without spending more than the used turbo iteself to purchase a usable exhaust housing.

His manifold will cost $500+. No sane person will spend that kind of money to put the highly restrictivee, ill-fitting stock ST turbo on an NA Focus.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts