Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with a MK3 Focus have a complete brake job done at the dealer? All rotors and pads?

I have the original brakes and pads on my 2012 Focus with just over 53k miles. As of now, the brakes make no noise and there is no shudder in the pedal (such as warped rotors). The last time I had the brakes checked at the dealer, they said they were still good. But I know I will need them changed sometime this year so I was going to have it done next week. I'm not one of those people that wait until there's a problem and THEN have it fixed. I'm not going to wait until my rotors are grinding before I get the brakes replaced.

The dealer quoted me about $700 which seems kind of steep. That was what it cost to have a full brake job on my 2006 Dodge Magnum. But the rotors on my Magnum cost $100 each themselves which is why it was so much. Can't believe the Focus cost as much, Or does it?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
That seems high. Is that 4 wheel disc brakes?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
what all does the $700 include? that does seem a bit expensive. i had my previous car's breaks done (07 mini cooper S) and it cost $600, that was all four rotors, and all pads parts and labor. I can't imagine paying more then that especially if they are only going to resurface the rotors vs replacing them.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
And what about brake fluid?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
If you do the brakes, I'd for sure install new front rotors vs turning them.

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
Say car lasts 150K miles, a change at 53+ will mean 3 changes by the 150K, many cars normally driven make 75K miles easy and still some pad left. I've never changed fronts before that on anything. And not near grinding them yet. 2 changes vs. 3 and how much money not saved ($700) just because we won't yank a wheel to check pad thickness?

Any guess there without yanking a wheel is uninformed...................and how people throw away money all day long.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That seems high. Is that 4 wheel disc brakes?
Yes. My 2012 has the Sport option offered that year. I bought a Focus with the Sport option specifically to get rear discs. Don't see why Ford can't make rear discs standard when Hyundai/Kia does on their Elantra/Forte.

I'm assuming that is for new rotors (better be!) and the complete service. Maybe I will give them a call to make sure.

I used to do my own brake jobs no problem. Just don't have the time and facilities to do my own work anymore.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Say car lasts 150K miles, a change at 53+ will mean 3 changes by the 150K, many cars normally driven make 75K miles easy and still some pad left. I've never changed fronts before that on anything. And not near grinding them yet. 2 changes vs. 3 and how much money not saved ($700) just because we won't yank a wheel to check pad thickness?

Depending on where you live & how you drive^^^^^^

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, when I got my car inspected in October (2014) and had an inspection, it passed and the dealer said I could probably go another 20k miles on them. Of course that was just a guess.

Wow 75k? I was amazed I've gotten 53k so far. All my other cars with 4 wheel discs got about 35k before needing a change. And I drive like 85% highway miles. My 2001 Intrepid was pretty front heavy. I could tell when that needed new rotors because I would start to get a shimmy in the front end. Guess the front rotors would start warping when they got to a certain thickness.

So I checked an online parts list at the dealer I will be taking it to. At least for the front and rear rotors and pads. $58.30 per rotor and $66.63 per set of pads. (couldn't find the pads for the emergency brakes). That's $366.46 so far. Add a couple hours labor, and fluid and the New York state robber-baron taxes, and yeah, guess it would be close to $700.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Well, when I got my car inspected in October (2014) and had an inspection, it passed and the dealer said I could probably go another 20k miles on them. Of course that was just a guess.

Wow 75k? I was amazed I've gotten 53k so far. All my other cars with 4 wheel discs got about 35k before needing a change. And I drive like 85% highway miles. My 2001 Intrepid was pretty front heavy. I could tell when that needed new rotors because I would start to get a shimmy in the front end. Guess the front rotors would start warping when they got to a certain thickness.

So I checked an online parts list at the dealer I will be taking it to. At least for the front and rear rotors and pads. $58.30 per rotor and $66.63 per set of pads. (couldn't find the pads for the emergency brakes). That's $366.46 so far. Add a couple hours labor, and fluid and the New York state robber-baron taxes, and yeah, guess it would be close to $700.
+ depending on the hourly rate too. $100-$150.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
still seems a little pricey to me if all they are doing is turning the rotors instead of replaceing them.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
still seems a little pricey to me if all they are doing is turning the rotors instead of replaceing them.
Better be new rotors. I notice mine are a little scored.

**UPDATE

Took my car in for brake service today. New rotors & pads. When all said and done the bill was $829.42 .....Ouch.
Noticed on the price parts list that they charged me $74.95 per rotor when the list price is $58.30, which comes out to $65.80 so I'll be going back to them tomorrow and asking WTH is up with that. May be an honest mistake, but It's bad enough they have to charge list price in the 1st place when I could go online and get the same parts for less. I saw one online site that had the genuine OEM rotors, 4 rotors + shipping for $198.14, that's $101.66 less than what I paid.

The dealer I bought my car from sold their dealership to another dealer recently. My dealer was excellent. I have yet to build a trust with this dealership. I feel I am getting the shaft, I'll go to another dealer in a heart beat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts