Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
05 ST -2.5L fusion swap 13 ST - SP63 forged block
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend drives a 2012 focus SE and loves borrowing my 2013 ST because of the third pedal.

what do I have to do to get a third pedal in her SE and keep her off of my ST?

I don't know that much about the DST in these cars. To my understanding, they are essentially the MTX-75 with a bunch of soleniods and automation to make it drive like an auto (which its not very good at anyway)

I'm wondering if I can pull the electric shifter and slave actuator off and just hook a hydraulic line up to the slave and throw a MTX-75 shifter plate in it.
It can't be that easy... right?

really curious as to how the slave cylinder works. havent had her battery and airbox off to take a good look at it. I'm guessing its not hydrualic will require dropping the trans. I skimmed a few threads people made about converting to manual and they all dropped the trans. probably a dumb question, but is there any way around that?
never dropped a trans in the Mk3's buts its very tight and not fun in the mk1's.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually.. my dad just scooped up a spare 2005 zx4 ST (crazy deal, old lady's southern car, almost no rust at all)

We will have a spare MTX-75 laying around..

Let me rephrase my question. Do the MTX-75 bolt directly up ot the 2.0L Ti-VCT?

The mk3's are wider. please tell me there is more wiggle room to swap these transmissions.

·
Registered
2016 535D
306 Posts
The mk3 auto is nothing like the mtx75. Go search around for threads on this forum and the group discussion on Facebook for guides on the manual swap. Its been done plenty of times at this point.

As far as I can tell, the engine bays are exactly the same width as the mk1 and it is a little difficult to drop the trans. Most people(including me) have done the swap for $1000-1500 depending on where you source your parts. It can be done in a weekend if you have the tools and know-how.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most people(including me) have done the swap for $1000-1500 depending on where you source your parts
that 'back of the napkin price' is very useful in deciding whether we will do it or not.

From what i'm seeing, the most expensive part is going to be getting the PCM and electronics to be happy. We have a doner car with shifter, cables, gearbox, clutch etc. so mechanical stuff is covered.

Do you by chance know how the final drive comparison is? Is the MTX-75 5th gear similar to the automatic's 6th?

·
Registered
2016 535D
306 Posts
5th gear in an mtx75 is shorter than 6th gear in the auto. You can expect to turn about 500 more rpm at highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The MTX75 is screaming in 5th at highway speeds, but it still gets good MPG, if that's your concern. If I cruise around 75 mph it gets 36+ mpg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts