Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
after close to my 4th year of ownership of a 2013 ford focus titanium trim with the dual clutch 6speed, I recently lost reverse, 2nd, 4th and 6th gear, this happened after two trips to the dealer and getting "could not replicate problem" as a diagnostic from my experience with the car the transmission was not ready and you will be told "the car drives differently with each driver" well on this most recent trip where the transmission I'm assuming (if it isn't the clutch had died) my whole transmission had died ford will recall it if its under the mileage warranty of my car on the other hand has over 166,000 miles is dead in the water as it sits and have been quoted up to 4,000 for a whole transmission replacement including labor, if anyone has had the same issue please tell me how much you were quoted or what you did to regain gears, and get the car driving again.
Thanks a bunch William

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well i can tell you this much. If the trans is broken/worn out, it would be way cheaper to buy a good low mileage used one on eBay or from a junk yard and have a shop swap it out for you. I just bought a spare transmission from Pick Your Part out of a 2016 Focus for $180.00 with a brand new clutch assembly in it. The trans only has 42,000 miles on it. Ford just installed the new clutch kit and seal 7,000 miles ago. I do not need a new trans in my 2016 Titanium yet, but the car this other trans was in had such low miles on it and I looked up when the clutches were replaced that I couldn't pass up the deal for a spare tranny once mine ever goes out. So you can find used ones on eBay as well for an average around 450.00 to 600.00. You just have to look around. I would never pay Ford to put a new on in my car. That is for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as far as picking a used one up would it also have to be programed in, or just bolt it up and go and if so would you buy the cable and software or have an independent shop program it? haven't looked into it much as this is the first car ive owned newer than 06 with a auto transmission. also thanks for the quick response!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well i believe you would have to program the TCM to work with your PCM but then I'm not to sure about this actually as i have no been able to program mine just yet. I'm waiting for the VCM II and IDS software to come in the mail right now. Once i get the software up and running hopefully by next week, I can tell you more as to what needs to be done.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Transmission control module failure. It happened to me & lost all gears & reverse. I also couldn’t get the car to restart because the computer thought it was still in gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well PokeRRun, get it to Ford. It should be under warranty. It's covered for up to 150,000 miles. Unless yours has more than that. My friend has a 2014 Focus with 152,000 miles on it and his did the exact same thing as yours did. No gears. But his started fine. Just wouldn't go into any gear. So he had it towed to Ford and they would not cover the module because his car is out of warranty for the trans. So after Ford installed a new TCM and programmed it using IDS software, his bill was $1,900.00. :-O He wanted to have them install a good used one or buy a new refurbished TCM online that was only $98.00 and Ford told him those would never work if they installed those. They told him it has to be a new one from Ford. So then he asked if he can get a used one from a wrecking yard and have them install it and program it and Ford told him there is no way you can install used modules, that they have to be new from Ford. So he said ok fix it. He tried. :-( So he told me it's back on the road running and shifting better than it has in a long time. So he's happy for the most part.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so following up on this, I have placed the car in sport mode and manually shifted it (mines a titanium idk if se or s models have this) but i have 1st 3rd and 5th gears did some research and discovered that 1st 3rd and 5th are controlled by the top actuator and 2nd 4th 6th and reverse are controlled by shift actuator b or the one on the bottom, going further on this it is 4 bolts under the airbox for the top actuator and held in with 4 E-Torx 8 sized bolts and the bottom one is hiding behind the under belly pan, I have not attempted to swap the modules as i just ordered one they can be had for $30-$70 on amazon and the E-Torx socket set can be bought at a local advanced auto im gonna test this as the actuator will be here Wednesday of this week and will update by the weekend if this resolves my issue, if you have a titanium trim or one with the ability to manual shift i would try manually shifting it, that will let you know which tcm or actuator would needing replaced.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well i can tell you this much. If the trans is broken/worn out, it would be way cheaper to buy a good low mileage used one on eBay or from a junk yard and have a shop swap it out for you. I just bought a spare transmission from Pick Your Part out of a 2016 Focus for $180.00 with a brand new clutch assembly in it. The trans only has 42,000 miles on it. Ford just installed the new clutch kit and seal 7,000 miles ago. I do not need a new trans in my 2016 Titanium yet, but the car this other trans was in had such low miles on it and I looked up when the clutches were replaced that I couldn't pass up the deal for a spare tranny once mine ever goes out. So you can find used ones on eBay as well for an average around 450.00 to 600.00. You just have to look around. I would never pay Ford to put a new on in my car. That is for sure.
This seems the better route for my buddy's incoming 2012 Titanium project. The previous owner said 2nd gear, 4th gear and reverse are acting up lately. We'll just finish installing the set of tires and rockstar wheels on the Silverado this before we can clear the garage. Gonna start looking for a good trans replacement.

·
Registered
237 Posts
That's a good idea and a good place to start. If you have Pick Your Parts or You Pull Parts in your area try to find a car that comes in there with low mileage like a later model focus and pull the tranny there. Like I said in previous posts I got a 2016 transmission with 42,000 original miles on it and the clutch pack and seals were replaced by Fords warranty in it 12,000 miles ago and I got the whole set up for less than $300. This would be the cheapest way to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts