Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1041 - 1051 of 1051 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
My other car it eats oil a little bit so I need to top it up once awhile. It uses 5w30 but will any brand 5w30 work or I need to use that exact 5w30 that I used in last oil change?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
My other car it eats oil a little bit so I need to top it up once awhile. It uses 5w30 but will any brand 5w30 work or I need to use that exact 5w30 that I used in last oil change?
For ordinary cars I would say yeah you can use any oil that meets spec.
Do NOT use other viscosity! Nor single viscosity when the engine has multi viscosity.
So use 5W20 if it has 5W20 in it
Do not throw in half bottle of 10w40 just because you had it laying around.
But different modern brands not an issue.

*You should still change the oil on schedule.. even if you are always adding oil.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ok I saw 2 tutorials they both say when adding oil....add 4.5 to 5 quarts or so (Focus ST) Start the car check for leaks, if no leaks then add the rest. (ST needs 5.7 quarts)

Can I just add 5.7 quarts in one shot? that including prefilling the new oil filter. Why do they always add like up to 80% of the oil, then add the rest later?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Ok I saw 2 tutorials they both say when adding oil....add 4.5 to 5 quarts or so (Focus ST) Start the car check for leaks, if no leaks then add the rest. (ST needs 5.7 quarts)

Can I just add 5.7 quarts in one shot? that including prefilling the new oil filter. Why do they always add like up to 80% of the oil, then add the rest later?
Because you don't always drain all of the oil with every change and you need to check and set the level once oil has circulated through the engine block, cylinder head and turbo before topping off. If you dump 5.7 quarts of oil into the crankcase without checking for leaks or if the level is right you may end up over filling the crankcase and that's not good for oil control and is to an extent much worse than being half a quart low due to the aeration that will occur leading to oil starvation and a lack of lubrication induced failure sooner than having slightly less oil in the pan.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Because you don't always drain all of the oil with every change and you need to check and set the level once oil has circulated through the engine block, cylinder head and turbo before topping off. If you dump 5.7 quarts of oil into the crankcase without checking for leaks or if the level is right you may end up over filling the crankcase and that's not good for oil control and is to an extent much worse than being half a quart low due to the aeration that will occur leading to oil starvation and a lack of lubrication induced failure sooner than having slightly less oil in the pan.
I see thanks for that, they never explained but they always say do it that way, I guess that's the right way to do it. I will do that from now on then! I am using ramps to change oil so a little more hassle, before I just dump it all but gonna do it the right way.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Have any of you guys jacked up the Focus from the front of the car rather than the two jack points from behind the front wheels?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Have any of you guys jacked up the Focus from the front of the car rather than the two jack points from behind the front wheels?
I do, always fronts. The rear my jack stands is iffy at the jack points (under neath the car) Not too sure so I just do fronts and not rears

·
Registered
174 Posts
I do, always fronts. The rear my jack stands is iffy at the jack points (under neath the car) Not too sure so I just do fronts and not rears
Sorry allow me to clarify. By front, I mean from the middle point of the front of the bumper?

On my brother's Honda Accord he jacks it from the front.

Thank you in advance.

1041 - 1051 of 1051 Posts