Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1051 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a huge difference between 0-20 and 5-20. Base grade of 0 is not what you want, and 5-30 or 10-30 will give you better performance, less oil use, and longer engine life. asbestos suit now on. And anyone that uses or sells am I soiled oil, well that will cause hormonal imbalance and your children will not do well in school either.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Six years old AND one hundred pages of ...
What?
oil change drivel.

I am 'on the verge' of changing my oil..
I just had to try 0W30 in my ST.
I do not like it.
SO I want to change the oil again (back to 5W30) early.
Butttt. my cheap meter says what for? wait until it is 4K miles.. at least.
I am at 3,500... and growing impatient. [hatchet]

One odd thing about 0W30.. Mobil website says yes to use 0W30 instead of 5W30 for the ST.
But for the regular Focus it does NOT say anything about 0W20.. Only the 5W20.
Hmmmmmm [???:)]

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Six years old AND one hundred pages of ...
What?
oil change drivel.

I am 'on the verge' of changing my oil..
I just had to try 0W30 in my ST.
I do not like it.
SO I want to change the oil again (back to 5W30) early.
Butttt. my cheap meter says what for? wait until it is 4K miles.. at least.
I am at 3,500... and growing impatient. [hatchet]

One odd thing about 0W30.. Mobil website says yes to use 0W30 instead of 5W30 for the ST.
But for the regular Focus it does NOT say anything about 0W20.. Only the 5W20.
Hmmmmmm [???:)]
I've always in more of a winter climate. I use 0W20 over 5W20 just for when it goes below 0*F.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I just changed my oil on Saturday.
Motorcraft 5w/20.
Had some time, had space on the street to do it and was overdue for it.
Had a special at autozone for motorcraft gallon and filter for 27 bucks.
I wish they sold oil in 4 quart container instead of gallon.
I hate wasting the little bit I have left in the container when I put my old oil in there to take it back to recycle it. I usually have nothing around to pour unused oil into to save it for later.
Car runs noticeably smoother now.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I hate wasting the little bit I have left in the container when I put my old oil in there to take it back to recycle it. I usually have nothing around to pour unused oil into to save it for later.
I assume you mean instead of 5 quarts.
But if you only had 4 quarts you'd be half short.
All you really need to do is save the old jug when you dump the oil in the recycling drum and save it for next time. I have at least four in my garage.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just changed my oil on Saturday.
Motorcraft 5w/20.
Had some time, had space on the street to do it and was overdue for it.
Had a special at autozone for motorcraft gallon and filter for 27 bucks.
Car runs noticeably smoother now.
Lowes or Home depot pick up a quart plastic paint container with lid for a couple of bucks and pour the leftover oil into that and use for top ups.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I always pour that half quart straight through, meaning I leave the plug out and pour it in, gives me a little bit of piece of mind thinking it helps 'flush' a little bit more of the old oil out of the pan, entirely placebo I'm sure, but better than just wasting it. It's just something I've always done. [dunno]

I've been running 0W-20 for about 10000 miles now, I can't say I've really noticed a difference, but it's supposed to lubricate quicker during startup, so...

Also, fun fact, Chevy decided to update their 2.5L Ecotec engine from 5W-20 to 0W-20, despite the cap and manual stating to use the prior.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I always pour that half quart straight through, meaning I leave the plug out and pour it in, gives me a little bit of piece of mind thinking it helps 'flush' a little bit more of the old oil out of the pan, entirely placebo I'm sure, but better than just wasting it. It's just something I've always done. [dunno]

I've been running 0W-20 for about 10000 miles now, I can't say I've really noticed a difference, but it's supposed to lubricate quicker during startup, so...

Also, fun fact, Chevy decided to update their 2.5L Ecotec engine from 5W-20 to 0W-20, despite the cap and manual stating to use the prior.
I never thought to do that, gonna try that next time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just did my first oil change! Thought a power drill would help make the job quicker removing the torx bolts. One of the bolts looks to now be stripped (too much power putting it back on) Anyone experienced this and tips for some kind of repair?

It's not a major deal but don't really want to chance that bolt backing out on its own between oil changes. I'm sure one bolt missing won't kill you but if anyone knows a quick fix would love to try. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The Torx screws that hold on the underbody panel have plastic inserts in the frame.
Those bits can be replaced.
Finding their part number? LOL

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just did my first oil change! Thought a power drill would help make the job quicker removing the torx bolts. One of the bolts looks to now be stripped (too much power putting it back on) Anyone experienced this and tips for some kind of repair?

It's not a major deal but don't really want to chance that bolt backing out on its own between oil changes. I'm sure one bolt missing won't kill you but if anyone knows a quick fix would love to try. Thanks!
It may hold up ok until you can get a replacement insert. The bolt threads are coarse if I remember and the plastic / rubber insert should hold it unless it is badly mangled. If you want to try a 'bodge' fix you could see if a small plastic wall plug, (Lowes / Home depot) could be trimmed and the trimmed sliver of wall plug pushed into the retainer.
Going forward. what I have done is just use the torx bit and tighten the bolt using my fingers, no wrench or anything like that. Just nip it tight, so far I've not had an issue. Make sure though that the power tool you used has not worn the other retainers if you want to try the hand tightening approach next time.

·
Registered
159 Posts

I need to replace a few of those clips as well. Pervious Owner did what you did, power drilled them to death :)

I *think* these will work:

https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Lizard-Engine-Undertray-Screws/dp/B01I9CFL68/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01I9CFL68&pd_rd_r=PVC60RP9V93XER6QB1CT&pd_rd_w=apT3r&pd_rd_wg=IH211&psc=1&refRID=PVC60RP9V93XER6QB1CT

The bolts are not the same... but the red clips look to be.

Edit: The Ford Part Number is W702438-S300. But these are over $4 on eBay. Not sure about dealer prices. If you only need 1 or 2 of them I would stop by your dealer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use a DeWalt cordless to both remove and install those infernal Torx screws. After the first complementary oil change, I have done all subsequent oil changes in my own garage.

I can set the torque on my DeWalt, so the clutch will ratchet once the fastener is tight. I actually use the "1" setting for installation. I would suggest anything higher than 1 and you will easily strip out those plastic inserts.

I always start the screws in a couple turns by hand, just to hold up the plastic thing, then power them in with the cordless drill.

So far so good, no stripped out inserts. I've probably jinxed myself by saying that

It may hold up ok until you can get a replacement insert. The bolt threads are coarse if I remember and the plastic / rubber insert should hold it unless it is badly mangled. If you want to try a 'bodge' fix you could see if a small plastic wall plug, (Lowes / Home depot) could be trimmed and the trimmed sliver of wall plug pushed into the retainer.
Going forward. what I have done is just use the torx bit and tighten the bolt using my fingers, no wrench or anything like that. Just nip it tight, so far I've not had an issue. Make sure though that the power tool you used has not worn the other retainers if you want to try the hand tightening approach next time.

1001 - 1020 of 1051 Posts