Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 1051 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I've never had to replace an oil plug o-ring on a Ford. Had a 2000 F150 for 11 years. My '88 Ranger had a plastic "crush" ring and I think I replaced that once in the 12 years I owned that. But if you've got another car, go to a hardware store when you remove the plug and buy another o-ring to keep "murphy's law" from biting you in the a$$. [:)]

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have 200 miles on my focus. I have always heard to change the oil for a new engine around 500 miles. what is everyones opinion on this ? I do mainly highway driving so I was thinking I'd change the filter and oil around 1000 miles ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
No one using K&N Oil filters? I been using them for years, very quality filters.
I have seen some bench tests on other brands where they cut the filters in half to see whats inside... most like fram and puralator were junk.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Is there a torque spec for the oil drain plug?
Nothing in the manual on it that I see. Acura shows 29 ft/lbs for steel plug in an aluminum pan, but some of their forum members think that's too much.

Educated guess after trying it on another bolt...20-25 ft/lbs.

I look forward to hearing the answer from some of the members that have access to the Ford service information.

EDIT: I PM'd another FF member who might know and asked if he could get the official spec.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I don't get it, why is this an issue? Hand tight has worked for generations. Don't mess with success.
You are confusing the filter with the drain plug. The filter is the one that gets hand tightened.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
You are confusing the filter with the drain plug. The filter is the one that gets hand tightened.
Thanks for making an attempt to clarify, but I have hand tightened the drain plug (ok, with a crescent wrench, but still just judging the tightness by feel) forever. I think we're starting to overthink things...

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
And I really highly doubt the jiffy lube guys are looking up the torque specs for each and every car they service and getting their recently-calibrated torque wrench out of its box to tighten the frackin' drain plug. [wrenchin][wrenchin]

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Thanks for making an attempt to clarify, but I have hand tightened the drain plug (ok, with a crescent wrench, but still just judging the tightness by feel) forever. I think we're starting to overthink things...
I just wanted to make sure someone unfamiliar with the process doesn't misunderstand and try to hand-tighten their drain plug. By definition, hand-tight does not involve a wrench.

Hand´-tight` (~tīt`)
a. 1. As tight as can be made by the hand; as, to tighten the nut hand-tight.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary

And I really highly doubt the jiffy lube guys are looking up the torque specs for each and every car they service and getting their recently-calibrated torque wrench out of its box to tighten the frackin' drain plug. [wrenchin][wrenchin]
Exactly why I wrote the guide in the first place. It's a perfectly valid question if you've never done an oil change and don't have a reference point. I also tighten the bolt with a wrench by feel. For those who are inexperienced, getting a "feel" for the torque needed with a torque wrench first, is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nothing in the manual on it that I see. Acura shows 29 ft/lbs for steel plug in an aluminum pan, but some of their forum members think that's too much.

Educated guess after trying it on another bolt...20-25 ft/lbs.
My Mazda with the same basic engine called for 19-21 ft/lbs

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
I just wanted to make sure someone unfamiliar with the process doesn't misunderstand and try to hand-tighten their drain plug. By definition, hand-tight does not involve a wrench.

Hand´-tight` (~tīt`)
a. 1. As tight as can be made by the hand; as, to tighten the nut hand-tight.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Ha! A fair point!

[neener]

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
Drain Plug torque

Is there a torque spec for the oil drain plug?
Ford mechanic feedback...

"Per shop manual the spec is 20 ft lbs. Sounds high to me I would think 10 -15lbs would be better"

Added to OP...
Oil pan drain plug/Part# 6730/ Torque 27 Nm (20 lb-ft)

61 - 80 of 1051 Posts