Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1051 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
I just did my first oil change (on any car) following this guide. It was very easy although I had a couple of issues. Ordered the oil filter from Advance and went to pick it up. They gave me a 910 and assured me it was the exact same thing as the 910S, the S was just part of their part number, even though I saw one at Walmart and it actually said it was a 910S on the box and filter. Left and bought from Walmart. Next I took the filter off before draining the pan. Either there is always a lot of oil that spills out when removing the filter or that should be after draining. Lastly, the picture of the oil draining doesn't do justice to how far out it sprays at first, glad I had a mat down to catch it otherwise my driveway would have been a mess. Oh, also, I had to take the little brush guard thing off to get the cover off. Not sure how to do it otherwise.
[ffrocks]

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe the "S" designation in the Motrocraft filter if for a silicone anti-drainback valve, which I assume is an improvement over the older model.

·
Registered
264 Posts
So I changed my oil yesterday (@600miles) and was shocked at how dirty the oil was with shavings. I was also surprised at how easy it was to change the oil and filter in this car. I used ramps not jacks. I Put in Full Synthetic Mobil 1 5w-20 and I have to say the car runs smoother. Might be philisologicial. Any questions shoot and I will try to answer! Sh

·
Registered
18 Posts
How does cranking the engine with accelerator floored work with the push start?
I think the car only goes into accessory mode without the brake pressed...?
This.

Anyone?

Getting ready to the 1st oil change and never charged the filters before.

Regarding the oil life system monitor....is it only to reset a dummy light? Or does this need to be done every change?

·
Registered
31 Posts
reset it every time you do an oil and filter change...the directions are in the owners manual, its easy...remember, if you don't re-set it, and the onboard computer logs this information (that you've gont a long time without oil changes) the manufacturer could give you a hard time about warranty work on the engine if you ever needed it

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had these in another thread . . but will toss them in here as well. Great information.

I also, having changed oil in my own cars for well over 40 years, have never pre-charged an oil filter. I think, perhaps at one time, it had merit. But with the new oils we are now using I wouldn't worry too much.

By the way, during a testing protocol of a new sport bike we filled the motor with good synthetic, ran it until it was hot, drained the oil, restarted the motor and pinned it on redline for an hour. The current crop of synthetics are amazing. I use Amsoil, primarily because they sponsor our AMA Superbike team, but all of them are amazing.

I also sent the samples of the factory oil to both Amsoil and Blackstone testing to get baseline readings on the Focus.

·
Registered
29 Posts
@2012sel - Thank you for this tutorial and all the pics...it was very helpful.

Is synthetic just a matter of preference over regular oil? Or for anyone who REALLY loves their car should it be a no brainer? Also, if going with synthetic, does the oil life system monitor know that synthetic is being used and adjust the time until the next change accordingly?

·
Registered
800 Posts
@2012sel - Thank you for this tutorial and all the pics...it was very helpful.

Is synthetic just a matter of preference over regular oil? Or for anyone who REALLY loves their car should it be a no brainer? Also, if going with synthetic, does the oil life system monitor know that synthetic is being used and adjust the time until the next change accordingly?
Synth. is a choice, And the OLM is an algorithm Based on how the car is driven and in what conditions and should NEVER be relied upon. Use the recommended intervals or the 5000 mi/tire rotation as a guide.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had 650 and switched. I could have gone longer but the oil was dirty and full of scraps. Put in full syn and will change it again around 7000 miles. I do many short trips in cold weather

·
Registered
20 Posts
How does cranking the engine with accelerator floored work with the push start?
I think the car only goes into accessory mode without the brake pressed...?
Pressing brake and accelerator causes it to crank over without starting.

I agree with the other two old timers. I have been doing my own oil changes since 1976 (a lot of oil changes) and I have never prefilled. I also have taken several engines to 200,000+ miles. But I do prefill now, I just never thought of it until I read it on the Ducati forum last year.
Michael

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
What other oil filter I can use instead of Motorcraft ? I prefer to use PureOne or Mobil 1.
Not that I doubt your ability to use any ol' car website's (Advanced, Autozone, O'Reilly) search feature, but:

PureONE: Part # PL1024
Mobil 1: Part # M1-102

·
Registered
200 Posts
Pressing brake and accelerator causes it to crank over without starting.
What difference does it make if it starts or not? Its going to take the same number of cranks to get the oil circulating whether the engine starts or not. In fact, I would think that after cranking without starting and not letting it build up pressure, the oil has a chance to drain back out of the pump, while waiting to actually start it.
Just crank it up for crying out loud. It'll prime right up, build pressure and be fine!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks PratoN. I was not aware of those american sites. I order via ebay or amazon or when travelling to the U.S.A.

21 - 40 of 1051 Posts