Focus Fanatics Forum banner

281 - 300 of 1051 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
That was once an issue with Signature Series, but now all passenger car formulations have API SN levels of ZDDP, so it's down to base stock choice.

Here are details on what the problem is with API certifications, how it's biased on petroleum base stock swapping, and discriminates true synthetic.

Standard length - Amsoil EA15K51
Long version - Amsoil EAO34

I dropped the factory fill at 945 miles, soon as I knew the piston rings were fully seated. I then switched to a true synthetic Amsoil 5W-20 Signature Series and bypass filtration system. This will allow me to make two year oil changes if I desire, or 25,000 miles.

For a car without the bypass system, one year or 15,000 miles is easy. Whichever occur first.
No doubt Amsoil is a fine oil, but one thing any oil or filtration system can't do much to combat is fuel dilution. DI engines like the Focus are prone to fuel dilution of course and we don't have a ton of real-world experience to gauge how big an issue this will be for us. I detect a little gas odor whenever I check the oil, which makes me wonder.

My point is, before you run 25,000 miles or two years, I would sure suggest a used oil analysis to make sure all is well in there. Blackstone sells a neat pump that can extract a sample size via the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
659 Posts
No doubt Amsoil is a fine oil, but one thing any oil or filtration system can't do much to combat is fuel dilution. DI engines like the Focus are prone to fuel dilution of course and we don't have a ton of real-world experience to gauge how big an issue this will be for us. I detect a little gas odor whenever I check the oil, which makes me wonder.

My point is, before you run 25,000 miles or two years, I would sure suggest a used oil analysis to make sure all is well in there. Blackstone sells a neat pump that can extract a sample size via the dipstick tube.
Ya i'm also interested in maybe running a catch can. I'll be doing an oil analysis on my 3rd oil change to see where I'm at. I think they're $25 with shipping.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm sure is a very good product. I've yet to see third party GTL lab test, that was actually confirmed GTL product.

Guess we have to wait until it's more mainstream.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm sure is a very good product. I've yet to see third party GTL lab test, that was actually confirmed GTL product.

Guess we have to wait until it's more mainstream.
Fair enough.

Anyone considering AMSOIL might want to consider this stuff too, I think.

Red Line Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20

I might have to give it a try and compare the UOA of AMSOIL, Castrol EDGE Titanium FST + Redline 0w-20.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have been reading a lot about Blackstone, can anybody clue me in as to who does these or how I would go about getting one. The 'neat pump' may also come in handy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I then switched to a true synthetic Amsoil 5W-20 Signature Series and bypass filtration system. This will allow me to make two year oil changes if I desire, or 25,000 miles.

For a car without the bypass system, one year or 15,000 miles is easy. Whichever occur first.
Beast, you have the bypass system so I know you like it but, if you have few moments I would like to hear what you have to say about it - Anybody else please feel free to chime in.

It's about $275.00 for the kit and it needs 2? adapters at about $53.00 each, a bypass filter $48.00 and a regular filter $15.00 making the initial system cost about $445.00 - obviously you feel it's worth it, why?

I love the theory, 2 Micron near absolute filtration is not quite polishing but dammed close and I have repeatedly read that wear particles greater then 5 Microns are detrimental but I never knew how much credence to give those opinions, please enlighten me!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Oil collecting kits are free

Sample cost is $25.00 per analysis.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php
Thanks, I have one on the way and I am eyeing the vacuum pump but I first wanted to check with Beast, to see if the push button sampler adapter from Amsoil works with that bypass unit I am considering ordering, I forgot to ask him and I feel like a heel for all the newby questions that have probably already been asked and answered by him a 100 times.

I probably have at least 60 hours into the forum already (since Mar 1) but I am only on page 10 (50 per page) of the thread list and I have read some threads several times, sigh, info overload, cognitive dissonance settling in...

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
The only stupid questions are the ones that you don't ask.
Incorrect... The stupid question is one that has been answered in multiple iterations but people fail to listen and comprehend

·
Registered
316 Posts
Here is the UOA of the Penzoil Ultra 5w20 from my 2nd oil change that I sent to Blackstone a couple months back. (changed out the factory fill at 1989 miles)

I changed out the Penzoil Ultra & Motorcraft filter out for Amsoil signature Series 5w20 and Amsoil EA15K51 filter when I did the oil change. I will be interested to see how it does when I send it in for a UOA at my next oil change.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The only stupid questions are the ones that you don't ask.
Sometimes I feel like an idiot and sometimes I know it... It's human nature to see it in others when we are blind to it in ourselves. It kind of depends on the question.

If I put an Estes rocket's exhaust into my air filter to pressurize it will it be the same as nitro injection?

If I add water to my gas tank is that the same as water injection?

How many pounds are in a foot pound, do I have to count to 12 while turning it?

I lowered my car by collapsing the springs with a torch and now it doesn't ride right, what happened?

I bought these cool 35 inch mudders on ebay, what do I need to do to fit them to my Focus?

Joe Blows web site claims 200 MPG on water with his new high tech turbine intake charger but all I got was a plastic propeller, how/where do I install it?

My wheel was vibrating so I super glued the back of it but it's still vibrating. how do I fix that?

My dealer said that I had a bump to bump warranty but I still feel the bumps, who do I contact about that?

My local service guy told me that oil never wears out so I only intend to top it off, you are all fools for wasting your money

When the tires wear down you have more rubber on the road so I use mine till I can see the cords for more traction.

I had a flat and used a tree limb to lift the car and now the side is all wrecked, cheap (insert name here) cars are not built like they used to be in my day.

My owners manual says to press Horn when I want to notify another driver but I can't find a button labeled Horn.

The dealer said that I have 3.2 turns lock to lock but nothing seems to lock.

I could go on but I am tired of my own ignorance.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here is the UOA of the Penzoil Ultra 5w20 from my 2nd oil change that I sent to Blackstone a couple months back. (changed out the factory fill at 1989 miles)

I changed out the Penzoil Ultra & Motorcraft filter out for Amsoil signature Series 5w20 and Amsoil EA15K51 filter when I did the oil change. I will be interested to see how it does when I send it in for a UOA at my next oil change.
I got nothing but an unclickable icon from that post and I am interested in this here oil thread.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Incorrect... The stupid question is one that has been answered in multiple iterations but people fail to listen and comprehend
Wow, glad FF has become such an incredibly kind community lately. Really guys?

Also PandT, the line is Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. But yeah, I'll be sure to stick up for you next time. Or not.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
My comment wasn't directed at anyone in-particular... More of a response to your comment that there are no stupid questions, just un-asked ones. My comment was just a fact I learned from a professor in College. There are stupid questions!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wow, glad FF has become such an incredibly kind community lately. Really guys?

Also PandT, the line is Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. But yeah, I'll be sure to stick up for you next time. Or not.
Um, did I miss something - a second refresh seems to have downloaded the report but all I got the first time was an icon. Comet dude, 'insane' is not politically correct right now but if you call back I'll try to figure out what 'or not' means in any context that I envision from my posts. I meant no offense to anyone.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My comment wasn't directed at anyone in-particular... More of a response to your comment that there are no stupid questions, just un-asked ones. My comment was just a fact I learned from a professor in College. There are stupid questions!
Agreed, hence the wild examples that I posted. No offence intended toward anyone.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yes, there are in an absolute sense, stupid questions (why don't things fall upwards?). But my greater point being, that I'd rather someone feel embarrassed for a moment for having asked something that may have been asked before, or sound obvious because of inexperience and get a good answer--or be directed to it--than not asking because they're afraid of feeling stupid.

No offense taken.

281 - 300 of 1051 Posts