241 - 260 of 1051 Posts

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
My freind has one of those and yes,that is a nice piece of equipment

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was thinking the best way to accomplish lifting one side of the car for rotating the tires. I am going to buy a second floor jack and pinch weld adapters and jack it up with 2 jacks
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good to know my low oil light works. I had my last oil change done at the dealership (free maintenance plan) and I was getting the low oil light when braking and turning right. I checked my dipstick and it was low (no leaking from the filter or plug).

Those dealerships... always keeping me on my toes.
If you don't mind dropping names, which dealership would that be? If you don't want to name names, (neither do I), I will only recommend avoiding the the service department of the one that is near the airport. They left a wrench under my hood when they performed a recall repair on my windshield wiper.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
They left a wrench under my hood when they performed a recall repair on my windshield wiper.
Free tools! [:D]

If you don't mind dropping names, which dealership would that be?
It was Heiser Ford, but they're usually REALLY good to me (except the whole replacing my clutch thing). I still go to them - I just check my dipstick before I leave.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I just changed my oil for the third time today, on my 2012 Focus.
I have ramps I made which lift the wheels about 3" and that is the minumum needed to get under the car to unscrew the underengine cover.
I may add another inch of wood to raise it just that little bit to make it easier.
I let the oil stay in for 5,000miles this last time, and that was too long IMO considering how the oil looked and felt.
I will do it at 4,000miles next time.
I feel I am getting near too old to change it. Just annoying to scamper around under the car!!
I love how I can feel the engine is better right after an oil change. Runs smoother and revs easier.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just changed my oil for the third time today, on my 2012 Focus.
I have ramps I made which lift the wheels about 3" and that is the minumum needed to get under the car to unscrew the underengine cover.
I may add another inch of wood to raise it just that little bit to make it easier.
I let the oil stay in for 5,000miles this last time, and that was too long IMO considering how the oil looked and felt.
I will do it at 4,000miles next time.
I feel I am getting near too old to change it. Just annoying to scamper around under the car!!
I love how I can feel the engine is better right after an oil change. Runs smoother and revs easier.
5,000 miles is just fine and is right in line with recommendations. Many vehicle manufactures now recommend 7,500 miles. BMW goes up to 15,000 miles and several European manufacturers are in the same ball park. No need to excessively change oil anymore and in fact, doing so can cause premature engine wear to occur.

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's false.
It's true. As to why excessive oil changes can cause engine damage; every single time the oil is changed, the engine oiling system loses its prime and when the engine is started there is zero oil pressure and metal-to-metal contact going on inside the engine that it never see's at any other time in its life. That kind of wear can rob life from an engine, reducing it's operating efficiency, (reduced fuel economy and power), and longevity. It wont run, "like new", for as long as it could have. Excessive oil changes are not doing any engine a favor. Of course, the greedy big oil industry likes to siphon off consumers hard earned money if they can, but consumer groups called them on this and even the greedy big oil companies are now no longer recommending needless and wasteful 3,000 mile drain pain intervals.

·
Registered
659 Posts
It's true. As to why excessive oil changes can cause engine damage; every single time the oil is changed, the engine oiling system loses its prime and when the engine is started there is zero oil pressure and metal-to-metal contact going on inside the engine that it never see's at any other time in its life. That kind of wear can rob life from an engine, reducing it's operating efficiency, (reduced fuel economy and power), and longevity. It wont run, "like new", for as long as it could have. Excessive oil changes are not doing any engine a favor. Of course, the greedy big oil industry likes to siphon off consumers hard earned money if they can, but consumer groups called them on this and even the greedy big oil companies are now no longer recommending needless and wasteful 3,000 mile drain pain intervals.
Fresh oil or not, the lubrication is the same for every cold start. It's okay to take off your tinfoil hat now.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Fresh oil or not, the lubrication is the same for every cold start. It's okay to take off your tinfoil hat now.
Tin foil hat? Wow, did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed today or something? Gheesh. [thumbd]

Again, when the oil system loses it's prime when an oil change is done the resulting engine start has zero oil pressure, allowing metal-to-metal wear to occur. This is why some people take the care of priming the new oil filter, to try and lessen the damaging effects of a no oil pressure/dry start situation, which is very wise. If this wasn't an issue, people wouldn't bother to prime the oil filter. [thumb]

·
Registered
659 Posts
Again, when the oil system loses it's prime when an oil change is done the resulting engine start has zero oil pressure, allowing metal-to-metal wear to occur. This is why some people take the care of priming the new oil filter, to try and lessen the damaging effects of a no oil pressure/dry start situation, which is very wise. If this wasn't an issue, people wouldn't bother to prime the oil filter. [thumb]
Yes priming the oil filter can prevent initial/temporary rod knock. That didn't seem to be what you were saying initially. Saying oil changes themselves are more damaging is a bit of a misnomer. Poor oil itself the biggest damage to an engine especially if not filtered properly or if it loses viscosity. The damage from a proper oil change versus a cold start will be negligible.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
So I've read in here that Mobil1 isn't true synthetic. I've been using it for some years now in my truck. If this is the case, what is recommended? I also see people running 5W-20. I haven't ran out to the car to grab the manual and read, but I will soon. But back to the main question, what's the recommended oil? Motorcraft?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Motorcraft 5w20 is the recommended oil for the 2.0L.

·
Registered
149 Posts
5,000 miles is just fine and is right in line with recommendations. Many vehicle manufactures now recommend 7,500 miles. BMW goes up to 15,000 miles and several European manufacturers are in the same ball park.

No need to excessively change oil anymore and in fact, doing so can cause premature engine wear to occur.
People should RTM if they disagree with you on principal; The Focus can go up to 10k miles between changes depending on driving and environmental conditions. The whole idea of 3k mile intervals as a general rule and not the exception is nonsense perpetuated by an industry fraught with a waste & greed mentality.

RTM

As far as your "wear" claim, I won't even touch that.

How often should you have your oil changed?

Ford Motor Company generally recommends getting an oil change every 7,500 miles or every six months for 2008 and newer model year vehicles, whichever comes first, or every 5,000 miles or every six months for 2007 and older model year vehicles, whichever comes first.

However, you should change your oil and filter more often – every 5,000 miles or every six months for 2008 and newer model year vehicles, whichever comes first, or every 3,000 miles or every three months for 2007 and older model year vehicles, whichever comes first – if you do any of the following:

Tow or carry heavy loads
Idle or drive at low speeds for long distances
Drive in dusty conditions
Drive off road frequently
Use E85 fuel more than 50% of the time

If you have any questions about the recommended oil change intervals for your specific vehicle, be sure to check your Owner's Manual.

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1251117147717&pagename=Owner/Page/ArticleDetail&recid=1251387049862&parentheadlineimageid=1234280151966&parentrightrecid=1239636411265

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes priming the oil filter can prevent initial/temporary rod knock. That didn't seem to be what you were saying initially. Saying oil changes themselves are more damaging is a bit of a misnomer. Poor oil itself the biggest damage to an engine especially if not filtered properly or if it loses viscosity. The damage from a proper oil change versus a cold start will be negligible.
If it were negligible, people wouldn't be bothering to prime the oil filter. When the oil system loses all its pressure during an oil change and then the engine is started, metal-to-metal wear is going on that an engine never see's at any other time in its life. Excessive oil changes does an engine no favors.

241 - 260 of 1051 Posts