Focus Fanatics Forum banner

221 - 240 of 1051 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I found this list of Oil Myths interesting, especially #7 as it quotes an expert at Blackstone saying he doesn't think synthetic adds MPG and another expert questions whether synthetic is worth the extra cost.
It's common to see a true synthetic lubricant add mpg in some engines. The problem is, not all lubricants with "synthetic" on the outside of the bottle are true synthetics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for answering. I totalled my 2012 Titanium, but I have like 24 Purolator filters that I will use when I buy ST :)

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
294 Posts
Was the point of your post to be pedantic? The molecular change that the basestock undergoes in the GTL process to make Group III constitutes a synthetic end product in the eyes of most people. It is a completely man made process not found in nature with a end product that cannot be duplicated by natural means. More importantly, a Grp III performs as well as Grp IV or Grp V based oils in every meaningful way.
From reading on synthetic oils it is my understanding that true synthetic oils in the Group IV and Group V category have a turbulent flow pattern, (which aids in the transfer of heat, resulting in lower engine operating temperatures), whereas the cheaper Group III, "synthetic oils", refined from petroleum crude oil have a laminar flow pattern, which is comparatively inferior to a turbulent flow pattern in heat transfer characteristics. I've also read that real Group IV and Group V synthetic oils have vastly greater film strength than the cheaper Group III, "synthetic oils", refined from petroleum crude oil. I've also read that in Europe, by law, these Group III, "synthetic oils", can't be legally referred to as synthetic oils.

Group II oils also can't be duplicated in nature, but that doesn't mean they are a synthetic oil either.

Synthetic Oil: Rx For Long Engine Life -

http://getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/syntheticoil/

·
Registered
294 Posts
As far as I know Ford doesn't use any "break in" additives so you should be fine.

I found this list of Oil Myths interesting, especially #7 as it quotes an expert at Blackstone saying he doesn't think synthetic adds MPG and another expert questions whether synthetic is worth the extra cost. I think if you've got the extra $20 each oil change and it makes you feel better it's worth it. Urban Legend #5 does sort of support changing the oil earlier than normal.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/top-7-urban-legends-about-motor-oil.html
What would an oil analysis employee know about top performing synthetic oils improving fuel economy or not?

Diesel Fleet Fuel Economy Study -

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/G2904.pdf?zo=349698

Many understandably confuse price with cost. They aren't the same thing. In many cases, higher priced products, (including top shelf synthetic oils vs petroleum oils), are less costly to use than lower priced products -

Gasoline Engine Case Study With Guardian Pest Control -

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2244.pdf?zo=349698

·
Registered
292 Posts
Everything BlueFocusSE5 says is true, however.....there are millions of people in this world who have been brainwashed by big oil. The propaganda submitted by Big Oil claiming that hydrocracked petroleum is everything PAO and Ester are, at a lower cost, is the real myth.

It isn't even close. UOAs have been proving this for years, but people ignore the numbers. Even more benefits that a UOA will not show you are gained from the use of true synthetics. Lower friction, lower heat, lower NOACK, etc.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Just did my first oil change at 3000km (1800 miles)
I switched to mobil1 synthetic 5w20
The oil was fairly dirty for the mileage that was put on it but I didn't see any metal shavings. It did however smell a fair bit more than usual used oil does IMO

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just did my first oil change at 3000km (1800 miles)
I switched to mobil1 synthetic 5w20
The oil was fairly dirty for the mileage that was put on it but I didn't see any metal shavings. It did however smell a fair bit more than usual used oil does IMO

and now...a car wash. [neener]

·
Registered
510 Posts
Did you have to lift the car up to do an oil change? That might be the only factor if I do it or not, previous car I was able to fit underneath it.
Unless you have a very small head, you will need it lifted to do this comfortably. Ramps would be easiest, but you can do it with jacks. This is how I did my first with a jack and axle stands, but jacking the car is a bit of a pain. [smackbum]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Unless you have a very small head, you will need it lifted to do this comfortably. Ramps would be easiest, but you can do it with jacks. This is how I did my first with a jack and axle stands, but jacking the car is a bit of a pain. [smackbum]
Crap. I was hoping not to have to drive my car on ramps. I don't know if I want to take the risk of driving the car on ramps.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Did you have to lift the car up to do an oil change? That might be the only factor if I do it or not, previous car I was able to fit underneath it.
I drove it onto ramps that I have. It wouldn't clear them now that I'm lowered so I had to put a 2x12 in front of it to get the at up to clear the ramp.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
I've done this car twice without lifting it. And I have a big head. Biggest challenge is the rear center screw holding the engine bay cover in place. Had to hold the screwdriver with the tips of my fingers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Crap. I was hoping not to have to drive my car on ramps. I don't know if I want to take the risk of driving the car on ramps.
I was worried about doing that in the beginning. I have the 5 speed and you have to be on your game with the clutch. The first time with this car I did it myself with no problem. A few days later my neighbor was out and walked over to 'help'. Messed it up, probably because I had someone watching. Nothing bad, just revved a little higher than I would have liked and I hit the stops a little hard. I have the 10,000lb ramps, these are very big compared to the tire, so they give you quite a bit of wiggle room.

The ramps give you a lot of room to work. I am getting to the age where the floor is pretty far away. The next purchase will be a creeper. Wiggling around the driveway makes for an achy next day.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's harder than u think to drive off a set of ramps. Just take your time and you'll be fine. They're safer than laying under a car on jacks stands for sure. Whatever you do please use more than just a jack. Very dangerous.

221 - 240 of 1051 Posts