Focus Fanatics Forum banner

201 - 220 of 1051 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
The specification sheet calls for a fill of 4.5 quarts.

I have found that 5 quarts will go in if you use the longer filters.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Put 4.5 quarts in it and be done with it. Dip sticks arent always totally accurate. My Mach 1 is off with the correct amount of oil as well. Ive always used ford filters and have never had a problem either. Ill be using ford oil in the focus as well. My mustang gets mobil 1 and a ford filter, but it only has the oil changed once a year in spring when it comes out of storage.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks for the reply's, I think I was just not waiting long enough to check the stick... apparently you need to let it sit for 5 min's before the hole where the stick goes clears of oil.

In the future though I think i will just dump 4.5 Quarts in and leave it. Easier that way[headbang]

·
Registered
292 Posts
but it only has the oil changed once a year in spring when it comes out of storage.
You should change your oil the day you put it into storage, not the day you take it out. Fresh oil during storage is better. When you bring it out in the spring, all you have to do is take the car for an extended drive. 30 minutes should do. This will condition the oil for all year use.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Oil had around 800 miles on it this year. I dont think its contaminated by any means. Plus being mobil 1 full synthetic it looks as clean as the oil Im replacing it with. I like to change it for the fresh filter in spring. I just make sure before i start it to hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank the engine a few times to get oil back up top. Then I start as normal.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Please add to the OP:

Mobil1 5 quart jugs at Wal-Mart are $24.97.

It appears that the correct oil for the Focus is only available in stores, however. Best deal around for quality full synthetic!

Also to be added to the OP: Someone mentioned that there is a longer filter available for more element surface area, but I can't find the part number after scanning the pages of this thread. Anyone have this? Can it be added to the part #'s and prices list too? Thanks!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Please add to the OP:

Mobil1 5 quart jugs at Wal-Mart are $24.97.

It appears that the correct oil for the Focus is only available in stores, however. Best deal around for quality full synthetic!
Mobil 1 is not a full synthetic and has not been since 2006. It's a sham and should be illegal to market a product as "fully synthetic" when it's not. No other country in the world tolerates this except for the U.S.

Visom - BITOG

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Thanks in part due to the original post here I can safely say:

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Regardless, it's good oil. If Chevy trusts the 505/638hp LS7/LS9 to it, I think our 160hp Focii will thrive on it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks in part due to the original post here I can safely say:

Well I feel like an idiot[facepalm] Apparently it took a while for me to realize that the oil I was putting into the head was running down the dip-stick and I thought it was over-filled by a mile... Oh well, live and learn.

I also must say that for oil changes, ramps would be much quicker than a jack and axle stands. Jacking the car was the most time consuming part.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Well I feel like an idiot[facepalm] Apparently it took a while for me to realize that the oil I was putting into the head was running down the dip-stick and I thought it was over-filled by a mile... Oh well, live and learn.

You can buy one for 99¢. Put it in the oil filler cap hole and pour in the oil. No harder than pouring a glass of chocolate milk, which means my nine-year-old daughter can accomplish that step.

I also must say that for oil changes, ramps would be much quicker than a jack and axle stands. Jacking the car was the most time consuming part.

Yup, ramps for the win. After the oil change, we did a tire rotation which required the jack, but my son has helped me with those since he was four, so that went quickly.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Regardless, it's good oil. If Chevy trusts the 505/638hp LS7/LS9 to it, I think our 160hp Focii will thrive on it.
Any current API SL, SM, SN formulation will get any factory assembled/tuned engine far beyond the warranty period. That wasn't the point of my post.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Any current API SL, SM, SN formulation will get any factory assembled/tuned engine far beyond the warranty period. That wasn't the point of my post.
Was the point of your post to be pedantic? The molecular change that the basestock undergoes in the GTL process to make Group III constitutes a synthetic end product in the eyes of most people. It is a completely man made process not found in nature with a end product that cannot be duplicated by natural means. More importantly, a Grp III performs as well as Grp IV or Grp V based oils in every meaningful way.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mobil 1 is still using Visom (hydrocracked petroleum), no reports of the change to GTL. If they had, and GTL was proven to have that low of NOACK, it would be on their specification sheet as a bragging right. Mobil 1, like other big oil companies, have omitted NOACK from their spec sheet to mask the base stock used in the formulation. The trained eye would know they were paying true synthetic prices for a cheaper, lower performing hydrocracked base stock.

More importantly, a Grp III performs as well as Grp IV or Grp V based oils in every meaningful way.
Unfortunately, you are incorrect. That's big oil marketing group think.

Group III base stocks are not as resistive to oxidation, do not offer as low of frictional coefficient properties, has far higher NOACK (group III GTL still unproven), still contain impurities, not as resistive to shearing, and do not have nearly as long expected use.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Mobil 1 is still using Visom (hydrocracked petroleum), no reports of the change to GTL. If they had, and GTL was proven to have that low of NOACK, it would be on their specification sheet as a bragging right.
I stand corrected. I thought it was GTL. Carry on then.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
The Yamalube I use in my bike is blue. But doesn't say it's synthetic. Pretty stuff. I'm just going to let ford use what they want on my car.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The Yamalube I use in my bike is blue. But doesn't say it's synthetic. Pretty stuff. I'm just going to let ford use what they want on my car.
You are fortunate that Motorcraft 5W-20 is a decent lubricant. Ford 5W-50 is junk. Most of the GT500 owners have ran from it.

One of the Snow Mobile manufacturers told buyers if they didn't use their lubricant, their warranty was void because it would destroy the engine.

Amsoil sled oil made that companies lube look like crap in comparison, and the engines tested lasted far longer on Amsoil with lower deposits.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm just over 1000 miles on my 2013 and plan to do an pop change soon.
I'd like go go with mobil1 synthetic. If I'm not mistaken these cars come with synthetic blend so going with straight synthetic at such a low mileage shouldn't be an issue?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
I'm just over 1000 miles on my 2013 and plan to do an pop change soon.
I'd like go go with mobil1 synthetic. If I'm not mistaken these cars come with synthetic blend so going with straight synthetic at such a low mileage shouldn't be an issue?
As far as I know Ford doesn't use any "break in" additives so you should be fine.

I found this list of Oil Myths interesting, especially #7 as it quotes an expert at Blackstone saying he doesn't think synthetic adds MPG and another expert questions whether synthetic is worth the extra cost. I think if you've got the extra $20 each oil change and it makes you feel better it's worth it. Urban Legend #5 does sort of support changing the oil earlier than normal.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/top-7-urban-legends-about-motor-oil.html

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
As far as I know Ford doesn't use any "break in" additives so you should be fine.

I found this list of Oil Myths interesting, especially #7 as it quotes an expert at Blackstone saying he doesn't think synthetic adds MPG and another expert questions whether synthetic is worth the extra cost. I think if you've got the extra $20 each oil change and it makes you feel better it's worth it. Urban Legend #5 does sort of support changing the oil earlier than normal.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/top-7-urban-legends-about-motor-oil.html
Thanks. I was wondering if I should hold off on the oil change incase they use a break in additive

201 - 220 of 1051 Posts