Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I might share my recent experience with loss of power in my 2015 SE 2.0 Ti-VCT Duratec with the DCT, because I couldn't find anything related on the forum. 37,5xx miles.

This morning I was doing my normal work commute (50 miles into the mountains), and I noticed the car was somewhat sluggish at my normal highway speeds, and unnecessarily downshifting into lower gears to go up hills that I can usually stay in 6th. Once I got off the highway it was super sluggish pulling away from stoplights as well, no check engine light mind you. So I got out of work, left, and everything was seemingly OK...until about 1/3 of the way into the commute. Same symptoms. So I made it home, and broke out my OBD2 scanner and Forscan. Turns out there was a pending code P0340, CMP Sensor A Malfunction. Called around, there was only ONE sensor available within an hour of me. Drove 40 minutes (in my other car) to go get it, got home and slapped it in, and all seems fine so far.

Long story short, if you have a sudden loss of power with no check engine light, you very well may have a pending code for the cam position sensor. Sensor A is the intake cam, Sensor B is the exhaust cam, for reference. They are both right next to the HPFP, drivers side of the engine. One 8mm bolt removes it, its as simple as that.

Hope this helps!

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Good info, and it'll remind folks that you do NOT have to have a check engine light to have stared info. that's useful!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Code came back. Now it's likely an open circuit or short between the sensor and the PCM. Or a bad PCM. My bumper to bumper is up, but hopefully this would be considered a part of the powertrain warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts