Focus Fanatics Forum banner

281 - 288 of 288 Posts

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
I don't want to be offensive but a turbo would typically have lag, an n.a. congress on power much quicker, hence my question. If it the poor reaction from the dct for example?
Depends on the application. There's zero lag in the K03 on the FoST, though it dies out up top.

And no, definitely not related to the DCT at all. Many people drove my Mk3 and they all agreed that I had a unicorn amongst the general population. I was pretty firm and decisive with the throttle though.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Jburk: I don't want to be offensive but a turbo would typically have lag, an n.a. comes on power much quicker, hence my question. If it the poor reaction from the dct for example?

Edit... I see dyn answered just before me, and he mentions the intake is most likely the cause. Thanks for the info :)
in my experience with a turbo you have the power as low as 1500 rpm where as a NA engine doesn't get it until over 4000rpm usually. that's how my previous car was anyway, a turbo mini cooper s.

·
Registered
567 Posts
in my experience with a turbo you have the power as low as 1500 rpm where as a NA engine doesn't get it until over 4000rpm usually. that's how my previous car was anyway, a turbo mini cooper s.
Aren't the mini's supercharged and not turbocharged? If so, then superchargers are normally belt driven which means they are better for low down power than turbo chargers.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Depends on the application. There's zero lag in the K03 on the FoST, though it dies out up top.

And no, definitely not related to the DCT at all. Many people drove my Mk3 and they all agreed that I had a unicorn amongst the general population. I was pretty firm and decisive with the throttle though.
Agreed, the DCT is actually very quick to get going, especially with an upgraded rear motor mount... and even with stock flash, upshifts quickly.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Aren't the mini's supercharged and not turbocharged? If so, then superchargers are normally belt driven which means they are better for low down power than turbo chargers.
they were supercharged until the 2007 model. from 2007 to now they are turbo charged. I had a 2007 R56 mini cooper S. it had a turbo 1.6L engine.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
actually I went against the environment and vented my pcv system underneath the car. shame on me. but it never had carbon issues. it only had 65k miles when I sold it though.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
actually I went against the environment and vented my pcv system underneath the car. shame on me. but it never had carbon issues. it only had 65k miles when I sold it though.
Ah, got ya... I know I'd prefer to be running clean but don't blame you at all if you knew what you did would help with a major problem... anyway, was just curious.

281 - 288 of 288 Posts