Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may (eventually) be interested in acquiring a Mk2 Focus as a 2nd vehicle.

On craigslist.com I see quite a few with the steering wheel buttons (phone and/or speed control) losing the black paint.

Just out of curiosity, is this a common problem?

Like this:

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
The thread I pasted has a lot of info.
One guy on here was taking names on behalf of a buddy who was trying to make a vinyl retrofit solution. Otherwise, it is possible to replace the buttons. See the thread for part #s, etc.

·
Registered
182 Posts
As Aca said, I am that guy lol Or maybe one of them.

I am taking names of everyone who would like a retrofit vinyl piece for their focus and thinking about multiple colors and options, it will also come with instructions.

If you get a car with messed up buttons let me know. I soon will post a how-to and put them up for sale. Working out the specifics of these items for other cars ford makes who also seem to have this issue.

For now send me a PM and I will add you to the list :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just touched up the paint on mine with paint from a hobby store. Looks better than flaking, but not as good as new obviously

·
Registered
963 Posts
I just got me a wheel from pull a part with cruise and with sync. I was looking into having a friend make vinyl over lays. Have you went through with this yet? I'd like to purchase a set if so before I install my new wheel onto my car. I got lucky and found a leather wheel. Cant wait to get it into my car and have cruise as well

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just took a black paint pen and colored in the wear-spots. It's a little blacker than the factory color but barely noticeable

Mine were like this: (not toooo bad)

After a bit of paint pen: (and a few touchups soonafter)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Okay guys so here is my most recent update and idea -

1.) I decided that I am going to a junk yard to continue the project off and on so I can grab steering wheel buttons or order them online. I want to get a few sets.

2.) MY IDEA: For now I want to try grabbing VHT Nite Shades or another tint spray and just spray tinting the buttons, after peeling everything off, to have the nice dark buttons again. But they will be blank and have no words. The next step would be to just order plotter-cut decals, put them on, then clear coat.

3.) I do not have my Focus anymore, I want to get another one though an ST or SES, foolishly I did not get one again. I was paying $300 a month from a buy here pay here and found out the thing had frame damage. I just gave it back it and cut all losses. I drive an 07 Ford Five Hundred now.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was wondering if one could spray clear lacquer over good buttons to prevent wear. I don't know if clear lacquer dries smooth, would need to be sanded and polished to get smooth, would ruin the buttons, or wouldn't "stick".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts