Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new member and after some help/suggestions!

ok....i have a 06 plate mk2 focus, 114k miles...... i've recently had both front struts and strut bearings replaces as the bearings were shot to pieces. Now i'm getting a grinding noise from the front drivers side, noise is like someone has thrown a bag of gravel in something. The problem started about an hour after they were replaced. I've been back to the garage where the work was done 3 times in the last week and they cannot find anything wrong at all!!! When driving i can feel what i can only describe as a grinding feeling through the accelerator pedal and steering wheel but not too bad. When stationary or slow maneuvers ie parking i can hear what sounds like the coil spring on drivers side groaning and creaking (not broken spring) which is amplied really bad through the steering wheel. Upon further checks if i put my hand over the drivers side wheel onto the spring and move the steering wheel i can feel it jumping/creaking. I've now lost faith in my usual mechanic and have it booked into another garage tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well it is definitely your strut. They could have installed the part incorrectly, or the strut bearing that they used is bad. If they did not do so I would also have your sway bar end links replaced. I had one in the past that locked up on me no movement in the joint, and it sure did make some noise. Just good practice to replace when doing struts they are a common fail point.

Definitely move on to a different shop and let us know what they find. Sorry for your bad experience with the previous shop.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
zacautomotive honest its driving me mad!! Just been looking around both sides and the passenger side has had the drop link changed but not drivers side! also in the engine bay if i put a finger inside the metal cover covering the strut top, where the nut is.....passenger side there is about 6 treads showing above the nut, drivers side around 2-3 treads, is it possible they havent tightened/torqued the nut down properly?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Possible they definitely should be torqued down to the proper specs. Also suspension part should always be replaced in pairs including sway bar end links.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update: well no further forward...the bearing wasnt aligned properly, it was about 90 degrees off! the garage has now aligned everything up but the creaking is still there..not as bad but very noticable. looks like its time for another new strut and strut bearing :(

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I'm sorry truly a shame. If available to you maybe in the future go with a quick strut, so you don't have to worry about a shop not doing the job correctly. I guess it is possible they could still do a bad job, but at least you don't have to worry about them assembling the strut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts