Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 04 mk1 that is reaching that end of its life and found I really good deal on a low mile 09 ses. are the mk2 any good? how is the performance on them? and are they worth getting thanks guys

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have ~168k miles on my MK2 and no major problems. Keep up on maintenance and you'll be fine. Motor mounts is probably the weakest link on an otherwise pretty reliable car, mine lasted about 60k miles but I did not replace them until about 110k miles. I'm now about to do rear brakes for the first time ever. The shocks are now worn and need to be replaced.

I do tranny flush and fuel filter every 30k. Synthetic oil change every 7500 miles. At 100k I did coolant flush, spark plugs, brake fluid flush, power steering flush. 2nd coolant flush at 150k miles. Serpentine belt is still original and looks great (no cracks). I think the first thing to fail on this car might be the tranny as sometimes I'll get a super soft shift from 1st to 2nd under hard acceleration.

Only repairs I've ever made are the motor mounts, leaky valve color gasket and ignition switch. Literally everything else on the car other than wear items are the original parts.

Pretty much just keep up on maintenance and the car will last. I know the MK1s had problems but seems like everything has been sorted out on the Mk2.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just picked up our second Mk2 a couple weeks ago. I absolutely love them! I would definitely say they are the most reliable years for the Focus available currently. Same underpinnings as the Mk1 but with some much-needed interior and exterior updates.

What's the deal you're looking at? I got my '09 SES manual coupe w/ 54k miles at a dealership for $9,200 (that wasn't a great deal but it was the only manual SES coupe I could find). The '09 SE automatic sedan I just picked up w/ 57k miles I got for only $6,500 from a private seller however I had to replace the windshield, front rotors and pads, and replace a couple interior trim pieces. At the end of the day it was still a really good deal though.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
For some reason I didn't like driving the first generation Focus. Didn't care for the seating position and interior.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
There can be quite a few differences, even differences in SES's depending on the year. I think all SES cars had bigger sway bars both front and rear, a slightly stiffer suspension, depending on year and if a coupe or not it received different front and rear bumpers, lights all around, and even a different spoiler with 17" wheels. 2009-2010 coupes also got a lower gear ratio to help acceleration. Of course SES cars got all the options available if bought that way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
test drove and 2010 focus ses yesterday and I have to say that I like it way better then my 04 zx3 it drives so much smother and really like the interior if everything plays out right ill be buying it tomorrow

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
For some reason I didn't like driving the first generation Focus. Didn't care for the seating position and interior.
I like my '05 st, the seats work great & I like the redundant stereo/cd controls to the left of the column. Great car to mod & the 23 really pulls.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
test drove and 2010 focus ses yesterday and I have to say that I like it way better then my 04 zx3 it drives so much smother and really like the interior if everything plays out right ill be buying it tomorrow

I wouldn't hesitate. I wouldn't even hesitate another one if anything happened to mine.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Well, did ya get it? [:D]

1 - 20 of 60 Posts