Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all, looking for some urgent help here.

I own a mk.1 focus, 1.8 petrol.

This has been a good little work horse for a year now but has always had intermittent starting problems.

This only occurs after its been used, for example the first time it cut out was after a good hours drive, parked up had some food and went back to the car for it not to start, it would crank up but there was nothing. In this instance i got a jump from a nice chap and it worked fine from there. So replaced battery, coil pack and ignition leads on advice from a mechanic.

This didnt solve the problem.

It will start from the coldest of mornings and first time however after a little driving and then stopping again, say like going shopping - returning to the car, it just wont start unless its been left for a good hour. Then it starts no problem.

I've had it in the garage multiple times but obviously they cant replicate the problem without taking the vehicle out, I've had the AA out several times but by the time they arrive, its been over an hour and it restarts again.

Now the trick I've noticed that will let me restart the car is when i turn the key, there is an electrical sound of some kind. If that's not there, i know for certain it wont start.

Anyone had this problem before or can help - sorry for the long story, first post!

·
Registered
753 Posts
That sound when you first turn the key to the on position is your fuel pump.
If its coming on intermediary then you should start there for diagnosis of the problem.
There is a relay for the fuel pump under the hood in fuse box, you'll need to test/replace it. It can be tested using volt meter but I am not experienced in doing that. You could pull a like relay from another place and put it in the fuel relay posistion as a quick test.
If the relay checks out then id start at the engine and work my way back to the tank checking the fuel system components.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Humphrey, will get someone to investigate it from there. Hopefully I can get this sorted.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Any updates Jolmes23?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not yet, got a price for the fuel pump and fitting through, double the cost of the value for the car :( - will probably scrap it as picking up new car tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts