Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I would say front cradle support woudl be nice that works with SVT exhuast that ties into the control arm points. They use to make a 2 point and a 4 point but would not work with the SVT exhaust / CAT.
I would need to acquire an SVT to mock up something like that. I prefer the Duratec cars, but I like the style of the SVT cars. Would have been a lot cooler if Ford continued the SVT into the MK1.5 cars

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
Well Focus Fest is less than 60 days away, lots of cars there and would be more than happy to let you measure up the underside of my car while its there.

Other than the exhaust header & CAT think thats the only thing you need to worry about for that so just need to dimple / bend around for clearance on those.

I am going to be going off road pipe shortly or possibly a FocusSport 4-1 header so I specificaly may not need the to clear the SVT cat but know many who would still need to.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well FocusFest is less than 60 days away, lots of cars there and would be more than happy to let you measure up the underside of my car while its there.

Other than the exhaust header & CAT think thats the only thing you need to worry about for that so just need to dimple / bend around for clearance on those.

I am going to be going off road pipe shortly or possibly a FocusSport 4-1 header so I specificaly may not need the to clear the SVT cat but know many who would still need to.
I dont think I'll make FFest this year. I will have to look for a local SVT.

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
I know of someone in the Huston area.... that looks to be a bit far of a drive. I am sure there are those more local that would be willing to help you out.

FF is only a 9.5 hour drive...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I know of someone in the Huston area.... that looks to be a bit far of a drive. I am sure there are those more local that would be willing to help you out.

FF is only a 9.5 hour drive...
I know a couple guys that are localish with SVT's. I've seen a few junky ones on craigslist recently too. Might just buy one to use for mock up, then sell it or part it when I'm done.

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
Haha yea a few have gotten that cheap where if you have the space and time to part it out you can make money.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Haha yea a few have gotten that cheap where if you have the space and time to part it out you can make money.
Yeah I parted out an SVT a few months ago. Was just a roller though, so it wouldn't have helped me for fabbing much

·
Registered
18 Posts
How about making a set of hubs with 5x108 bolt pattern, but everything else the same, so it can accept the later focus wheels (and many others).

After searching, I’ve found that 2014 escape front rotors (same OD snd thickness as the SVT rotors, and will need just need a thin spacer to use the SVT calipers to account for the slight difference in overall width of escape vs SVT rotors).
2014 escape rear rotors are the same OD as the SVT, but wider, so will need a larger spacer (and longer caliper mounting bolts) but will work unless I’m mistaken.

I’ve seen pics of folks who have re-drilled the stock hubs from 4x108 to 5x108 but there isn’t a lot of meat between two of the old and new holes.

I’m going to try a used OE and aftermarket hub to see if I can plug weld them with the TIG, but if they are not weldable, new hubs would be a good solution...

Or maybe I’m crazy...

EDIT. Just tried a set of factory hubs, they are definitely able to be TIG welded, which means they can be wire welded easily to plug the pair of holes close to the other holes.

I think I already know the answer, but is there much of a market for Race Suspension components for the first gen cars?

I might be late to the party, but I'm a machinist and fabricator with extensive background in offroad racing. I'm going to build stuff for myself either way.

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
Alex the Machinist also makes the hub redrill. Don't think anyone has had an issue with a lug failing due to metal.

Not sure I know what filling the holes would do. I don't think your adding any actual strength back. Also there are some of the super hubs that when group ordered were done in a native hub drill size to something different like 4x100 or the 5x108.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not sure I know what filling the holes would do. I don't think your adding any actual strength back.
If filling the holes with weld, this will add a heck of a lot of strength back. That is probably how I'm going to do mine. I saw the pics of the wagon on here, with the ST snowflake wheels and decided that's clearly the way to go!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I could make hubs like the Super Hubs in any bolt pattern, but it wouldn't be any different than the hubs the other guys are already making.

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
If filling the holes with weld, this will add a heck of a lot of strength back. That is probably how I'm going to do mine. I saw the pics of the wagon on here, with the ST snowflake wheels and decided that's clearly the way to go!
Face is not where there are any issues. It's all in the shaft and the radius. I have had two hubs fail this way and none of them showed any stress what so ever at the face where the studs are pressed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Alex the Machinist also makes the hub redrill. Don't think anyone has had an issue with a lug failing due to metal.

Not sure I know what filling the holes would do. I don't think your adding any actual strength back. Also there are some of the super hubs that when group ordered were done in a native hub drill size to something different like 4x100 or the 5x108.
I could make hubs like the Super Hubs in any bolt pattern, but it wouldn't be any different than the hubs the other guys are already making.
I've recently organized 3 separate group buys for 4340 billet front hubs. My supplier can indeed build them in any bolt pattern requested. Besides the improvement to the stock, sharp fillet radius, the backside is beefier than the stock parts or the Super Hubs. A few folks have contacted me and are interested in getting some, so I am organizing another group buy. If you're interested in a set, PM me for more info, and/or I'll attach a link to that thread for more info.

https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/brakes-suspension-body-chassis/803114-focus-mk-1-mk2-billet-hubs-need-any.html

21 - 35 of 35 Posts