Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I think I already know the answer, but is there much of a market for Race Suspension components for the first gen cars? I know they are 12-20 years old now and less popular than they once were.
I'm not talking shocks/struts and coilovers. Dont want to get into that right now. I'm talking about control arms mostly. Maybe subframes and arms with modified geometry.
I know there are plenty of camber and toe arms out there, but not much in the way of full sets of arms.
I see a lot of Rally and Pavement racers building their own custom stuff or beefing up stock control arms etc.

Things like the CFM front arms and those Super Hubs are only made in "Group Buys" now due to such a small market. People were also hot and heavy for Dom's stuff until that went south.

I might be late to the party, but I'm a machinist and fabricator with extensive background in offroad racing. I'm going to build stuff for myself either way. I guess we'll see if people like what I come up with and gauge interest that way.

w/ my magic bag
Yrs ago after checking out A-arms, HT performance made up similar A-arms to Focuscentrals original arms, CFM offered some of those, IIRC a few months or so & then dropped them. CFM added gussets, used a thicker wall of tubing & increased the heim joint size. Dom came out w/ similar arms, but went w/ a sliding ball joint set up vs a heim joint. I like the heim joints over the b/j set up. Thoughts on tubular cradles= These cars aren't foxbody's or G-body's or Camaro's, so really not worth it. Centralfocus used to offer a rear coilover setup using the shock tower as the mounting point & then used tubular rear arms, w/ &w/o the rear sway bar mounts. Dom offered rear tubular control arms w/ adjustable spring seat. IIRC to use a sway bar you'd need to turn it upside down to get the right geometry. I threw up a thread yrs ago for Karl at Massive to fab up a pr of rear tubular arms that'd work w/ oem & aftermarket sway bars. If you'd want to get going & take on a project, possibly a pr of tubular rear arms & getting the geometry of the sway right. Possibly a rear c/o kit also. Looking forward to what you come up with.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Yrs ago after checking out A-arms, HT performance made up similar A-arms to Focuscentrals original arms, CFM offered some of those, IIRC a few months or so & then dropped them. CFM added gussets, used a thicker wall of tubing & increased the heim joint size. Dom came out w/ similar arms, but went w/ a sliding ball joint set up vs a heim joint. I like the heim joints over the b/j set up. Thoughts on tubular cradles= These cars aren't foxbody's or G-body's or Camaro's, so really not worth it. Centralfocus used to offer a rear coilover setup using the shock tower as the mounting point & then used tubular rear arms, w/ &w/o the rear sway bar mounts. Dom offered rear tubular control arms w/ adjustable spring seat. IIRC to use a sway bar you'd need to turn it upside down to get the right geometry. I threw up a thread yrs ago for Karl at Massive to fab up a pr of rear tubular arms that'd work w/ oem & aftermarket sway bars. If you'd want to get going & take on a project, possibly a pr of tubular rear arms & getting the geometry of the sway right. Possibly a rear c/o kit also. Looking forward to what you come up with.

Thanks for the input. I have some of the same thoughts for the Rear Control arms and sway bar situation.
A full set of rear arms that have enough adjustment to work with both lifted and lowered applications is the plan. Covers the Pavement and the Rally crowd. Set your ride height with your shocks/springs of choice and align it.

CFM has the front arms figured out. There's not much room for improvement there. But I have some ideas

Thats What She Said
Massive makes everything needed for the rear...

Used at the track this last weekend and works wodners.

With the full combo you can adjust track width, camber from lowered vehicles to raised one.

I would say front cradle support woudl be nice that works with SVT exhuast that ties into the control arm points. They use to make a 2 point and a 4 point but would not work with the SVT exhaust / CAT.

5 acre Focus now makes a front control arm also with the sliding ball joint.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Massive makes everything needed for the rear...

With the full combo you can adjust track width, camber from lowered vehicles to raised one.

I would say front cradle support woudl be nice that works with SVT exhuast that ties into the control arm points. They use to make a 2 point and a 4 point but would not work with the SVT exhaust / CAT.

5 acre Focus now makes a front control arm also with the sliding ball joint.
I didn't realize massive made the lower control arms. I didn't see them on their website. That's cool. Good lookin stuff you got there.

Thats What She Said
I didn't realize massive made the lower control arms. I didn't see them on their website. That's cool. Good lookin stuff you got there.
Thanks. I think I have a good set up of aftermarket parts, C-F-M Front control arms w/ LRC Race Camber plates up front, Massive Rear parts (all of them), Super Hubs (2 sets) that allow me to track my car and drive it hard!

Because its not plug and play and you have to play with spring lengths and rates that are not "Focus springs" Karl does not have it listed on his site. He makes them and a few people have them in use. He show cased them at Focus Fest last year (got the show special color :)) I finally got around to diring my car since I got the parts 10 months ago.

The front cradle / front cross member support would be something I think worth while. A good tie in point for Aero and underbody skid plates along with strengthening the front chassis.

Other Mark 1/1.5 race suspension parts I will have to think about what I I think I would be lacking.

There is a weird shift I am seeing more people talk about racing or rally-X or circle track a foci and I think thats because it has gotten to be a cheap car, but at the same time its old enough some vedors are droping support for performance parts because of age and volume (cant get the TCE Rear brake conversion any more, who knows how long they will offer the fronts, C-F-M did a last group by on the control arms where before they were a stocked item)

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Right, it's a cheap, older, economy car that people can get into some entry level racing with. As we all know, "cheap racing" tends to snowball though lol
I know its a dwindling market overall, but I still think there are some gaps that could be filled.

w/ my magic bag
I didn't realize or know Karl got going on the rear arms either. They look great, like the fixed spring seats w/ gussets vs Doms adjustable spring seats. I take it that rear bar is a Eibach 25mm?

Thats What She Said
I didn't realize or know Karl got going on the rear arms either. They look great, like the fixed spring seats w/ gussets vs Doms adjustable spring seats. I take it that rear bar is a Eibach 25mm?
Yep. Thought about going to the Steeda Race rear bar, but with where things felt after the race weekend I think this setup is quite nice. I dont want to disrupt to much. Running a 450 lb/in spring it stays quite planted in the rear.

Registered
Those control arms are great looking! I wonder if they were exclusive for focusfest? I ordered a pair of Dom's about a month ago, and haven't heard anything since. I'm starting to get a little concerned. I sent him an email, but no reply...

Thats What She Said

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Those control arms are great looking! I wonder if they were exclusive for focusfest? I ordered a pair of Dom's about a month ago, and haven't heard anything since. I'm starting to get a little concerned. I sent him an email, but no reply...
I didn't know he was still in business. I read he was ripping people off

Registered
I may have to contact Karl then! I will see if PayPal can get my money back from Dom, it appears he is still in business (the business of ripping people off).

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I may have to contact Karl then! I will see if PayPal can get my money back from Dom, it appears he is still in business (the business of ripping people off).
Yeah, I just assumed he was out of business by all the bad experiences I've read about him. Guess he's still going somehow

Registered
Foolish me, should've listened to all of the negative posts about the company. I PM'd Karl on the Massive forum, so hopefully we can work something out. I am building my Focus into an autocross car, and definitely would like some beefier LCA's.

Registered
Yeah, I just assumed he was out of business by all the bad experiences I've read about him. Guess he's still going somehow
Foolish me, should've listened to all of the negative posts about the company. I PM'd Karl on the Massive forum, so hopefully we can work something out. I am building my Focus into an autocross car, and definitely would like some beefier LCA's

w/ my magic bag
My experience w/ Dom yrs ago was ordered his 4-point lower stress brace, waited a couple of months & then it came. Correct color too......Gloss black same as all the other parts.......

Registered
Was there email communication between you two? That is the concerning part for me. I wouldn't mind waiting, in fact if he was upfront about that I'd completely understand. It's odd to me that he hasn't answered my emails.

w/ my magic bag
Was there email communication between you two? That is the concerning part for me. I wouldn't mind waiting, in fact if he was upfront about that I'd completely understand. It's odd to me that he hasn't answered my emails.
Never e-mail him....Just ordered & after a few weeks kinda forgot about it & got going on other projects, then they came, IIRC it was a couple of months. If he was the only one doing all the work, then to me it'd make sense if he was fabbing/building a group say 40 or whatever & then taking all to a powder coater to get done + all the different colors also. IDK how long it'd take to do up a group & then the powder coat shop isn't going to drop everything they've got going, possibly have to wait for a bit. Another thing is possibly he sold out of the product, someone is wanting & he's working on another different product. IDK, just my thoughts, thinking he's the only guy doing all the work & has many varies different products. btw all the welds are awesome.

Registered
Never e-mail him....Just ordered & after a few weeks kinda forgot about it & got going on other projects, then they came, IIRC it was a couple of months. If he was the only one doing all the work, then to me it'd make sense if he was fabbing/building a group say 40 or whatever & then taking all to a powder coater to get done + all the different colors also. IDK how long it'd take to do up a group & then the powder coat shop isn't going to drop everything they've got going, possibly have to wait for a bit. Another thing is possibly he sold out of the product, someone is wanting & he's working on another different product. IDK, just my thoughts, thinking he's the only guy doing all the work & has many varies different products. btw all the welds are awesome.
You make an excellent point. Having worked as a machinist, I understand the amount of work that goes into making parts like this. It would be very time & labor intensive, especially with the variety of parts, color options, and volume of customers.
My main issues are lack of communication, and unfortunately time restraints. I'd like to attend a few autox events this season, but to be honest with the condition of my current LCA's I'm skeptical if I'd even pass the tech (living in the rust belt sucks).
I'd consider ordering another part from him at a later date. One that is less time critical, perhaps a 4 point lower stress brace, how is that btw? I've seen mixed reviews about his quality, but with a less critical part like a brace, I'd be less concerned.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts