Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. This is my first post and I'm having real issues with my focus.

2001 mk1 focus petrol 1.8 zetec

It turns over but won't start. I've replaced the following:
Fuel pump
Fuel rail
Coil pack
HT leads
Crank sensor
The battery is also relatively new

I'm getting fuel to the engine bay
I'm getting a spark because it starts with easy start
The immobiliser light goes out
Car also won't start when connected with jump leads

A bloke suggested it could be the ECU, so I've tried to remove it but the cover holding the connectors in place has a retaining bolt with a nut welded in place, stopping me from getting it out

Please help, this is driving me absolutely nuts, has already cost me a couple hundred quid and needs fixing so I don't have to keep driving the gf's dad's purple Nissan micro (not very manly at all!!!!)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome!

Moved to General Tech Chat for more looks (our spot for general problems).

I'm not understanding "starts with easy start" to prove you have spark. Are you referring to using a starting fluid?

I'm assuming a fuel problem, not sure what you've checked or why those parts were chosen for replacement.

How did you check for "fuel to engine compartment"?

For one fuel check, can you hear/feel injectors clicking when it's cranked?

Might need to check for pressure if you've already checked for the pump running, simplest way is with a scan tool that costs less than some of the parts you may not have needed.

Was the filter replaced? Fuel pump assembly or just the pump (plumbing in assembly can be a problem).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi sailor, thanks for the reply.

Easy start is a starting spray. I assume that for the engine to actually start there would need to be a spark? Surely without a spark there would be no way to start the engine at all? The engine does struggle even when easy start is sprayed in and as soon as the spray is stopped the engine does die.

The parts replaced were initially because I thought it was the coil pack, so replaced it, then on inspection I found there was no fuel getting to the engine, so replaced the pump. Now, when disconnecting the fuel line coming into the engine, fuel squirts out. After that was replaced I figured it could be the crank sensor, so I replaced that.

I don't have any diagnostics tools however it's getting fuel to the engine bay (but might not be getting past the injectors), I'm assume it's getting a spark due to a start with 'easy start' (will this still work without a spark???).

This is was my thinking as to it possibly being the ECU, however I'm not an expert. How much of an impact would the fuel pressure be? Would the fuel even reach the engine bay?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Starting with the spray proves spark, sounds like a fuel problem.

You need about 40 psi for it to run, just getting flow is inadequate.

Don't know if you replaced the pump or the whole assembly in the tank, there are possible problems with that assembly if only the pump was done.

Had a recent poster here with almost as severe a problem from just a bad fuel filter, that should be replaced whenever a pump is done.

A code scanning tool any better than the absolute cheapest will give fuel pressure readings, easiest way to check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts