Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks, been a member for a while now but I've always found the answers to my questions so never posted before.

I'm a UK St170 (us svt) owner looking for a little advice regarding new suspension.

I'm looking at getting a set of BC Racing BR coilovers in a couple months and I'd like to know what else is recommended to keep camber and alignment correct? I only plan to get rid of arch gap not looking to go much lower, will this affect camber?

I think the fronts come with pillowball top mounts to correct camber so just the rear I'm worrying about. Can anyone with coilovers on their mk1 focus advise? Also what spring rates are advised? It will be a mix of street and occasional track use.

I like the idea of the bc's as they're adjustable and seem to get great reviews lately from the s2000/evo/impreza/m3 community. A friend of mine has them on his celica gt4 and its stiff but reasonably comfy and super planted in the turns. I understand there are better systems out there but for 2/3 times the price which I don't have..

Thanks in advance

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Its the toe in the rear that will throw off your alignment to the point it will eat your tires. A set of adjustable toe arms will help, want to keep toe near 0.This style works really well, not sure what else is available to you in the UK though, might be able to find other versions as well. You can add a set of rear camber arms as well to keep you around -1.5. Most camber arms are the same style and give you a few degrees of adjustment.

My coilover's spring rates are 504/336lbs f/r (9/6, Kontrol Pro.) They work fine for me but i would prefer a little stiffer, especially in the rear to cut down on suspension travel when i am really low. When at a normal ride height, they are fine and handle well. Not overly stiff for daily use but I might just be use to them now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, I'll add rear adjustable toe and camber arms to the list then. The massive parts look good and shipping is reasonable so I'll probably go with them.

Anyone have any recommendations on what spring rates to run? I think the kit I'm looking at comes with 7kg front and rear, does this sound acceptable?

*Edit* Didn't notice your reply also had mention of spring rates. I actually think the BC unit I'm looking at might be very similar to those K Sports? I'll look into it a bit more, maybe if they offer a 9/7kg f/r set up that would work. The roads I drive on aren't terrible, but there are a few lumpy roads where I'd start losing traction if the rates were too stiff I'm sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts