Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Central Locking on my Girlfriend’s focus does not work, I could hear inside the key something rattling.

I took the key apart and two of the buttons (lock and unlock) had snapped off the circuit board, it was a nightmare trying to re-solder them, and it still doesn’t work (I didn’t think it would). The boot release however did work as it was still attached!

So I figure all I need is a new circuit board for the remote part of the key. Can I just take this out of another second hand key and program it to my central locking?

I only have one key by the way, I heard this could be an issue and you might need two keys to re-program?

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Might work if the key types match.

Ours separate the key & remote, key programming requires two keys but the remote does not. ALL remotes to be used must be programmed at once, if you program a single new one any others prev. programmed will NOT work afterwards.

I'm assuming your key still has a "chip" for the PATS system separate from the remote. IF that chip is attached to the circuit board in your version you're stuck & replacement of that board would render the key inop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I took the circuit board out of the key and tried it and the car still worked, so all the circuit board does is operate the central locking.

If I just take the circuit board out of another key and put it in mine, how do I then program it to my cental locking?

I've heard you press the door latch 6 times in 4 seconds and then hit the buttons and it links up, is that right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts