Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so just got brought back tonight by the AA,

my hazards wipers interior light rear heater central locking all stopped working,
after 2 hours on the phone to an auto electrician they diagnosed it as being the body control unit which he said is located in the glove compartment,

i have searched google to try and find what he means dose anyone know where this is and what it looks like, is it just something i could but and plug in myself like a relay or fuse type thing?

the only thing i have manged to find it what looks like a cartridge attached to the back of the fuse box or is the BCM the whole fuse box?

this car has cost me a fortune in recent months and the insurance has just renewed so money is tight and would like to fix this myself if possible

ill appreciate any help i receive and thank you in advanced

David

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
If you are referring to a scanner port? On the North American Focus, it is located on the left side of the vehicle under the dash panel, on the underside of the fuse block. It's called an OBD-II port here. Not sure if that's what you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Start with simpler things, like checking fuses.

I had a whole list of items give up one day after going through a car wash, starting with the Windows - never listed all the items out. Pull & replaced fuses under the hood to get a good look at them & clean up the contacts by moving them - cleared it up & it's been OK for the last 5 yrs since!

And if there are any bad ones, or even not - we always comment on the umbilical to the hatch. Pull back the rubber housing to look for the COMMON damaged wires there.

BCM is an unusual failure, just gets on the list because it's common to so many items.

Ours is behind the right side kick panel for your year, next to the PCM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your reply i have already checked the cables in the boot, and replaced all the fuse and relays, i have the water leaking issue that you get with these fords from the cabin air filter
and it looks like water may have gotten into the main interior fuse box, so i have just ordered one with matching part numbers from ebay for £15
to be delivered on Tuesday will update if that fixes it

and its wasn't the obd port i was after it was the fuse box it turns out some call it a GEM others BCM and simple ppl like me a fuse box,

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Ours have a GEM separate from the fuse box, on newer ones it's fancier & called a BCM - either works for generic chat as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so do you think i am going about it the right way i mean this box i have brought comes with all the relays and fuses which are always handy,

i wanted to replace that as an auto-electrician believed it to be that and all the googling i did point at the fuse box and seeing as its plug and go i thought its cheaper then going to the garage lol

i might add i have tried everything on this site already in regards to the boot cable and the central loocking sensors in teh doors,

one thing i might mention is the open door light was flashing on the dash driving home and the next time i went to use the car all these problems started. on a snowy day i might add

off topic now,!
im not sure how i fix the water Ingres issued with the mk1 as im a simpleton and don't really understand what i am meant to do, im fed up getting wet feet when my wife is driving on a rainy day

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so i just removed the knackered GEM and its part number is
1s7T-15K600-KA
EOL code VXI76133
Date code 1L19
siemens 5WK4 8743ABF T83SA

and it is most definitely broken smells like burnt rubber something has most certainly melted inside it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok just wanted to post an update,

so today i replaced the GEM and hay presto the electronics sprung back into life had to swap the wiring for indicators round as left was right but all working now and had to get the GEM to learn the key again

so happy days :).

it is surprising just how much that box controls, anything that is timed,

the interior lights
the intermittent wipes front and the back wiper which is intermittent anyway
reverse light
and of course the central locking and it also turns out the alarm too,

this box must have been on its way out for a while as the car has never chimed when the door was opened with the lights on and the wipers never parked properly, they would go all the way down and then a tiny bit back up,
car is working much better now and i also now have a heated front screen working :)

[loveff][loveff][loveff][drinking]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi grimliver,
I'm also having problems with my alarm and my intermittent wipers. And well I think I have a GEM problem, although my interior and reverse light are OK!
can you please describe how can I get to this module ?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Look at post #10 in particular to see GEM in front of the PCM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts