Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking for a good middleground, but really I dont want to drop more than 2 inches. Just enough to close up the wheel gap a bit. Would I be able to do that?

·
Registered
620 Posts
The nice thing about a coil over set-up is you make the final decision on what you want your ride height to be because you set it. Here's a link to some info on coil over set ups.

http://www.ridetech.com/tech/coiltech/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And do you know of a lower cost alternative? I dont want cheap ones its just that it sounds like these are on the performance high end, and I dont really need that... yet

·
Registered
620 Posts
I know that coils are adjustable, im just trying to make sure that they can handle that drop level
That I can't answer but here is a link to a search on MK1 coil overs. Maybe the answer is in there.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7865546952023728%3A1303594042&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=MK1+coilovers&sa.x=-518&sa.y=-257&sa=Search&siteurl=www.focusfanatics.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php&ref=www.focusfanatics.com%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D6666065&ss=8911j8563043j14

You also might want to pick out a couple of brands and contact them directly.

·
Registered
620 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Looking for a good middleground, but really I dont want to drop more than 2 inches. Just enough to close up the wheel gap a bit. Would I be able to do that?
>>>So are you looking for a 1.5'' to 2'' drop?
I know that coils are adjustable, im just trying to make sure that they can handle that drop level
>>>Coilovers will get you a 2'' drop no problem.
And do you know of a lower cost alternative? I dont want cheap ones its just that it sounds like these are on the performance high end, and I dont really need that... yet
A great alternative setup is a fixed platform kit vs coilovers. I looked at coilovers & thought I'd set them where I wanted them & not adjust them. So I figured I'd go w/ a fixed platform instead. I like the H&R sport cup kit= 2.6'' drop, but that was to low, so I went w/ Eibachs Sportline System 2''/2.2'' drop= springs & dampers from tirerack. Great for a DD. The main thing is to get dampers that work w/ the springs.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Awesome! And how easy/hard was it to roll ur fenders? I dont wanna go arounf making "Hsskr" noises all day hah.
I'm not sure who you are addressing this question too but I'll answer for my FSVT. Simple answer, no mods to the fenders at all. I have no strange noises emanating from the tires. [:D] Alright every now and then but extremely rare if all the bumps and shallows align against me I'll get a slight scrape from the front. Before I installed the new Eibach system it was occurring on a regular basis because the original factory system was showing it's age.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Awesome! And how easy/hard was it to roll ur fenders? I dont wanna go arounf making "Hsskr" noises all day hah.
You shouldn't need to roll your fenders at all, unless you have the wrong offset wheels. What wheels do you have? If your using a svt wheels, you won't have any issues. I have the sportline system w/ no issues at all, using svt wheels.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
You shouldn't need to roll your fenders at all, unless you have the wrong offset wheels. What wheels do you have? If your using a svt wheels, you won't have any issues. I have the sportline system w/ no issues at all, using svt wheels.
/\ This, the standard focus wheels have a pretty high offset and are only 7" wide, shouldnt have issues if you are using those wheels and the right size tires.

How hard is it to roll fenders though? Not hard if you have a proper roller and heat gun and take your time. By taking your time i mean i had to remove my fender liners and brake calipers to roll the fender evenly. This is because i have non-standard wheels, a 17x8 and an offset of around 30. 17x7 and an offset above 40, you wont have any issues.

Also, if you want a more budget set of coil overs that handle well, look at ST coilovers. They are made by KW and are essentially their variant 1 (zinc plated vs stainless and shorter warranty is the only difference iitc.) ST's can be found around $800.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts