Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, friends! I'd like to change out the tail light lenses on my 2003 to those from a mk 1.5 car. I saw that the mk 1 cars have a three bulb pigtail, and the 1.5 cars have a two bulb pigtail, both of which clip in to the receptacle in the trunk. If I change out the mk 1 pigtail (from the bulbs to the connector) with the 1.5 version, does it still work as intended, or do I need to do some rewiring? Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
What body style do you have?

I assume when you say 'tail light lenses' you mean 'tail lamp housings'. I believe to swap out the MK1 and MK1.5 sedan housings you also need to swap out the trunk lid and rear bumper covers.

Electrically on the MK1 sedan there separate bulbs for the stop and turn functions. On the MK1.5 sedan there is one dual filament bulb whose brighter filament is shared by the stop and turn function. Assuming you can swap the housings you would need to rewire the turn and stop lamp sockets all the way back to the GEM and brake lamp switch. You might even need a different GEM.

Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts