Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

i am not sure if this has been discussed before.. and the internet is not toally co-operating so searching was very hard. anyways

Mixing oils, i use the Motorcraft Blend for the past 45K miles on my 06 2.0 and i was wonding about mixing up the oils a bit... ie, adding in some Royal Purple for the extra protection into the Motorcraft..

example, 1Q 5w-20 Royal purple. 3Q 5w-20 motorcraft. and then the motorcraft filter.

any one do that? or should i just swap over to Mobil 1 or Royal purple. i have no High preformance mods (Tc/Sc) to worry about. just need this car to last about.. 8 years... (dam college loans)

thanks!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
It's not going to hurt your car to use the same weight with diff brands

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
It shouldn't hurt since the motorcraft stuff is already a partial blend of both dyno and synthetic. Check out what I sell. Amsoil has full synthetic for around $8 a quart and the XL formulas only require you to change your oil TWICE a year. Mobil 1 can't even make that claim.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
It shouldn't hurt since the motorcraft stuff is already a partial blend of both dyno and synthetic. Check out what I sell. Amsoil has full synthetic for around $8 a quart and the XL formulas only require you to change your oil TWICE a year. Mobil 1 can't even make that claim.
AMSoil will mix with other oils. Also, the TWICE a year oil changes depends on mileage - it gives you 25,000 change intervals (I am a dealer also). And I believe this is if you use the AMSoil filters.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, i was watching Youtube and they were doing the bearing scratch/ware test. how ever the hell its spelled ha ha. and the Royal Purple is pure AMAZING, and its not even a B.S. thing because its clear and ovious. i was thinking of mixing in 1 quart to get that type of protection.. but i cant afford to do a complete oil changes with it.. .maby 1 time every few oil changes or just mix it in. i use the Motorcraft cause its the Min required... and inexpensive.. would go to better oils though if i did H.O. bolt on's

ps, i change my oil like its a Dino... every 3K miles, wish i was like my work truck... Going by the Hour... but thats ~10 gallons if not more 15-40...

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
i posted this in the best oils forum as well

i was going to give royal purpal a try but then i relized that it has grafite in it , thats what makes it so good , right? wrong, grafite turns into carbon when it breaks down and yea sure , there are ways to get carbon out of the system like seafoam but do you really think it will get all the carbon buildup out of all the internals. im sure its a great oil for race only applications but if you dont plan on changeing you oil at 3000 on the dot you might be in for a suprise down the road. i know that i might get bashed on for saying ^^^^ , but how many of you have ever really looked to see what you putting into your car.i just recently started to look at the fine print.

amsoil dont have grafite in it

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Using graphite in oil started roughly around 50 years ago and gives the appearance of a full synthetic. That technology is pretty old to say the least.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
^^^ ok so eather your saying im full of sh-t or your saying that im right. what is is? i like the frase( gives the appearance of a full synthetic) , that makes me wonder???? am i right though????

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
to myself it would be more of a hassle to mix oils... and it honestly doesnt make sense. just stick with all the same stuff for the one oil change.

if you mix a good oil with a ok oil, then what do you get? mid-grade? just use the best what your budget can allow and go from there.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
if you think the royal purple is superior in protection why not fully use it? It's probably a step above motorcraft, but not the best out there.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
BTW RP has been proven by independent people to free up HP and also to give wear protection supirior to other oils. i always use it and will never stop. if you buy it from massive you can get it with filter for 35 bucks

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
hey,

i am not sure if this has been discussed before.. and the internet is not toally co-operating so searching was very hard. anyways

Mixing oils, i use the Motorcraft Blend for the past 45K miles on my 06 2.0 and i was wonding about mixing up the oils a bit... ie, adding in some Royal Purple for the extra protection into the Motorcraft..

example, 1Q 5w-20 Royal purple. 3Q 5w-20 motorcraft. and then the motorcraft filter.

any one do that? or should i just swap over to Mobil 1 or Royal purple. i have no High preformance mods (Tc/Sc) to worry about. just need this car to last about.. 8 years... (dam college loans)

thanks!

I have to update my comments on mixing oils. While you can mix oils, it's pretty much a hassle if you think about it. Mixing coolant and water makes sense because it's necessary for the motor to function. You're just making more of a chore for yourself.

It's not going to hurt your car to use the same weight with diff brands
This maybe acceptable with most store available brands out there.

AMSoil will mix with other oils. Also, the TWICE a year oil changes depends on mileage - it gives you 25,000 change intervals (I am a dealer also). And I believe this is if you use the AMSoil filters.
I have to correct this statement. While you can mix Amsoil with other oils, it's highly not recommended. Amsoil synthetics, when mixed with conventional petroleum oils, could breakdown and deteriorate faster due to oil additives and whatnot the other companies put into their blends. If a person choosing to mix Amsoil synthetics with conventional oil experiences major engine failure, there is no guarantee (if an oil analysis proves that mixing Amsoil syn and petroleum) that the cost of repair will be recovered.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't mix oils, but I only drive, well my car is 14 months old and has 8450K on the odo...got the oil changed when I got the b/s delete, then at 5k... but should I change it sooner than every 5k cuz it take me about 6 months to put 5k on the car)... it still looks like it was just changed and it's been at least 6 months ago...I just use the recommeded MotorCraft 5/20 synthetic blend...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts