Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have 195/60/15's all around. Two of the tires are brand new, two need to be replaced. I want to slowly convert all the tires to 205/55/15's. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to replace all four and I don't want to take off two good tires.

I want to replace two of the tires with 205's. Will it mess anything up if i have 205's mixed with 195's on my car?

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Shouldn't hurt anything really as long as matching sets are kept on each axle. Especially dont mix on the front as it will slowly wear the spider gears if you have a manual tranny. Be reminded that many RWD sports cars come from the factory with staggered setups with obviously no ill effects except the lack of being able to rotate their tires. I myself would do all 4 at the same time if I could. post some the tires you are looking at and maybe I or one of the other members could find some acceptable prices for you online. (please don't do this for any longer than you have to considering the new size will more than likely be a much higher quality tire and will make the car very unpredicatable in inclement weather due to grip
differences.)
EDIT: the BFG g force sports and kuhmo asx are going for $63 each on tire rack and are arguably some of the best "bang for the buck" tires out there. peace

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just rotated my old tires to the front so i can burn them out. i plan to replace the front two with 205's leaving the 195's in the back. over time i will rotate my tires so that 195's end up in front and 205's move to the back.

would everything work out all right?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
You're going from a 60 to a 55, so the diameter should be just about the same. I don't see any problem at all here, even going long term.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Should just save the money up and either a) get 2 more "new" tires matched to the new ones you presently own. b) save the money and get 4 new. Personally I wouldn't run 2 different sets of sizes on a car, unless you'd be at the track with some 13's. Too many small things could creep into big things. Mpg may change, extra wear and tear on the wheels, or who knows what else. Like I said, I'd go all 4 new, or just buy 2 more new, to go with the set, and buy 4 later in the wanted size. Save yourself any problems.

[thumb]

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
While there's little harm that can come of running the two sizes together (at least on seperate axles), I'd suggest ditching the 195s in favor of two more 205s of the same make of the two you have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts