Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a good deal on a set of Progress 1.8 drop springs. They are about a year old, still look new.

I dont want a radical drop and I dont want to give up any comfort or driveability. Im also always on a budget.

Since the Progress and SVT spring rates are almost identical Im planning on useing the Progress on the rear and SVTs on the front.

My front is about an inch lower than the rear so this should eliminate most of the wheel gap and level out the car. Later if I add a front lip I should have enough room so that Im not dragging it on driveways.

I can get the front SVTs and bumpstops for $60 shipped from fordparts.com

Best of all I dont have to spring for new shocks/struts.

Lowering on a budget, if I dont like it, Im in it for less than $100.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
and how does that setup allow you to not have to spring for new shocks/struts? they'll still wear faster. as long as the srping rates are the same, it sound like that should work. not sure if it'll sit exactly level, though.

Mike

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shocks can handle the 1.8 drop for quite a while. The SVT coils only lower the front about 3/4 inch, no problem there. I also dont put that many miles on it, Ive had it since early May and just hit 3300 miles.

My wife has a SE, so Im working on two cars at once, gotta streach the dollar.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
i'm not saying they WON'T work, just that they won't last too long. but if that's all the mileage you put on them then they should be OK for a while. don't get me wrong, i like to see people with a little but of ingenuity. seems everybody wants everything to be a simple bolt-on these days. keep us posted with how it goes, and definetely post pics!

Mike

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
two, i've had progress springs for almost 3 years now. i had them on for 3 months before both shocks blew out and one strut went...i suggest going with either koni or for cheap, eibachs.

ps: check around forums for used eibachs, they do have a lifetime warrenty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts