Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as the title stated, I'm missing 5th and reverse gears. I can get 1-4 with no problems. However, when in first, the shifter is in the position of 3rd, 2nd in 4, 3rd in 5 and 4th is where reverse should be.

Where do you guys think the problem is? the shifter axis themselves or in the transmission shifter forks?

Mouse

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
is it the stock shifter? or after market? did it just happen one day ? it sounds like something shifted to the wrong place (pun intended) i would start by taking the center console apart to get a look in there and see if you can see if there is anything wrong.

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
sounds more in depth than that...sounds like your whole linkage shifted over....i mean ive never heard of this happening before so hopefully somebody with more tranny info can help you out

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm thinking you have a cable problem, either at the shifter or trans. Did it do this all of a sudden or is it something you noticed going wrong over time?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It happened all of a sudden. My father borrowed my car Tuesday, and it happened to him on the way to where he was going. Yes, it is the stock shifter.

Mouse

P.S. thanks HonHon for moving, wasn't really sure were to put it at 2:30 am... lol

·
Registered
433 Posts
I would adjust the shift cables... Probably fix the problem. If not then check to see if you can get into all the gears by moving the actuator around on the transmission with the cables disconnected.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
happened to me a few years back, you broke one of your shift cable or it came loose off the transmission, its a bad design (even the techs admit it)

i had to get the one replaced (luckily under warranty)

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Linkage for sure. Check the transmission first, but I would surmise that it's in the console. Hopefully you're experienced with how your shifter works, but if not holla back and we'll help out. I think you'll see the problem right away.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, I started by pulling out the console and disconnecting the shifter cables. The shifter has free range of motion, so there is nothing wrong with the shifter. The upper cable works moving in-to-center-to-out, the lower cable only will move center to out, it will not go in.

Tomorrow when I get home from work I'm going to tear into the top side of the engine to get to the shifter cables and see if its outside or inside the trans.

Mouse

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, by tomorrow I really meant a week later..... Its been a long one.... Ok so I pulled the battery and box out. I was trying to get to the cables on the top of the trans. I really don't want to disconnect the trans mount to be able to pull that bracket out of the way, but I will if I have to.

I was wondering if anyone here had a diagram on how the shift cables move whatever mechinisam that allows the movement of the shift forks..... I'm trying to get a better understanding of how this thing exactly works..... I'll admit, when it comes to FWD transmissions, I'm clueless.....

Mouse

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found the problem, broken adjuster on the lower cable. There is a plastic spring loaded nut that snapped....... The part is a special order and is gonna cost me $45 bucks.....

Mouse

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Cool.
It's nice to get an update and closure to the issue.

Too bad it cost ya $45, though it could be worse.

Did you see what one of our vendors on this site could get you the part for?
I'd imagine it'd be a bit less than what you were quoted.
Get a hold of Mike Trendel (b16sir1991 on FF) at Hilbish Motors.
He is a vendor on this site, and has his own forums:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94
NOTE!
Calling him will get much quicker results than posting a thread or sending him a PM.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It absolutely could have been worse..... I was expecting a worn shifter fork inside the transmission, so I'm not going to complain about $45...... I will hit up Mike and see what he can get it for, thanks for reminding me about him.

Mouse

1 - 14 of 14 Posts